News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Crewe Alex - Match Thread

Author Topic: Crewe Alex - Match Thread  (Read 4869 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »

Another different type of opponent tonight. Crewe had a creditable 1-1 draw with Bolton on the weekend. Tonight is their last warm up game and Steve Davies says they'll be fielding a string side in hope of bringing the mornflake cup back to gresty road

http://mobile.crewealex.net/news/article/2016-17/altrincham-will-provide-good-test-3207262.aspx

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Crewe Alex - Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »

Should have been a bowl really, shouldn't it? :)
Come on Alty!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »

Should have been a bowl really, shouldn't it? :)

:D

Looking forward to watching all the new lads for the first time - I haven't posted for a while because, quite frankly, I haven't had much of an opinion on anything (apart from the fact I've never been a fan of 'clearing the decks' Neil Young style). I hope he proves me wrong this season - it'll be interesting to see whether my own opinion on the players matches what I've read on the forum for the past few weeks - the goalkeeper being the main concern.

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »

The keeper's playing a blinder.

I'd get rid of that big lump (no 28) up front ASAP.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »

The keeper's playing a blinder.

I'd get rid of that big lump (no 28) up front ASAP.

Has the keeper actually caught a cross?! I presume the 28 is Hattersley?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »

Dawber had his best game to date tonight. Far more assured, and made a number of decent saves. Centre back pairing are superb, we aren't far off now. A few tweeks still needed, but a good all round performance against a league two side that were visibly upset not to win the game

taxi Phil

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:14 PM »

Dawber made me eat my words tonight, and I'm delighted to do so. Hattersley was the major disappointment, doesn't seem anywhere near fit.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:13:36 PM »

Agreed that the centre back pairing looks good, Tom Hannigan looks a top player. The left back Callum Charlton looks ok going forward but not so clever defensively. Seems to require guidance throughout the game and positionally suspect. I like David Lynch's energy and Goodall will be decent enough as a holding midfielder. Hasler Cregg has potential but too lightweight to start in the conf north. My main concern is the two lumps weve signed up front. Hattersley and and Hobson look bobbins. Will have to be Lawrie just behind Reeves for me.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »

Dawber made me eat my words tonight, and I'm delighted to do so. Hattersley was the major disappointment, doesn't seem anywhere near fit.

Fully agree on both points
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:28:08 AM »

Agreed that the centre back pairing looks good, Tom Hannigan looks a top player. The left back Callum Charlton looks ok going forward but not so clever defensively. Seems to require guidance throughout the game and positionally suspect. I like David Lynch's energy and Goodall will be decent enough as a holding midfielder. Hasler Cregg has potential but too lightweight to start in the conf north. My main concern is the two lumps weve signed up front. Hattersley and and Hobson look bobbins. Will have to be Lawrie just behind Reeves for me.

Yep, on tonights show have to agree on the Hattersley / Charlton comment.......Hobson not on long enough to judge

Patterson did very well again tonight at both RB and LB.............centre pair look good and Goodall will be an asset
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »

As well as not looking fit, his attitude stinks.

He doesn't look arsed and is far too busy moaning and throwing his hands in the air.

Get rid before he becomes a drain on our resources.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »

My thoughts on the game:

Dawber had a good game - made some smart stops which would have done his confidence some good.  Most were fairly routine though, and he wasn't tested with crosses too much.  Their number 20, with better finishing, should have had a hatful.
Hannigan is an absolute class act and should have the armband for me.  Cyrus has clearly got the ability as well, and we're absolutely sorted at centre half - the strongest point of the team by far.
Agree re: Charlton - lots of potential but lacks assurance, as a result a lot of his touches and passes aren't hit cleanly, he scuffs it quite a bit.  Patterson seemed OK.  Cain's a little pocket dynamo!
Moult gave his usual assured performance, Goodall's experience will be key as well - I'd have the 2 of them sitting quite deep, allowing the front 4 to take some risks.
Hasler-Cregg, like most wingers at this level, seemed to start brightly but was quiet for long spells and struggled to impose himself.
Having 2 hard-working, James Milner-style wide midfielders might be the answer rather than wingers - the likes of Joyce and Menagh could be well used here.
The 2 'number 9s' we've signed just don't look the part whatsoever.  I'd rather have Kyle Perry back, at least he always had goals in him and could wear the clock down.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team