PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Taking Stock of Today
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taking Stock of Today  (Read 6185 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Taking Stock of Today
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »

Defeats - nothing new, the modern history of this club saw plenty of those against lesser clubs than Curzon Ashton in the Unibond.

Two events characterise the situation we are currently in. Firstly, today saw the 20th player make their debut for Altrincham FC in a league game this season - after 6 fixtures.

Secondly, I am reliably informed our new signing Fábio Bassangue was unable to understand his team mates instructions and was substituted early in the first half on the request of our captain. This in itself would suggest a lack of attention to detail on the part of the management, but beggars belief given we are led to believe he has taken part in a number of training sessions with the squad.

I completely understand the desire to back a new appointment and I, like very many, liked NY's stated 'vision'. However I am sure the Board would never of have thought when appointing him that 24 players would have made an appearance before August Bank Holiday, or that one would've been acquired without the ability to communicate with other players.

Simply, this is chaotic and has to stop, for the sake of all concerned not least NY himself. I attach no blame to the Board at all, but this experiment has reached its conclusion.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:37:35 AM by JTH »

ShropshireAlty

Re: Taking Stock of Today
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »

I heard exactly the same thing and did wonder how he'd managed to have 3 'training sessions' without anyone realising.
Secondly, I am reliably informed our new signing Fábio Bassangue was unable to understand his team mates instructions and was substituted early in the first half on the request of our captain.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »

Defeats - nothing new, the modern history of this club saw plenty of those against lesser clubs than Curzon Ashton in the Unibond.

Two events characterise the situation we are currently in. Firstly, today saw the 20th player make their debut for Altrincham FC in a league game this season - after 6 fixtures.

Secondly, I am reliably informed our new signing Fábio Bassangue was unable to understand his team mates instructions and was substituted early in the first half on the request of our captain. This in itself would suggest a lack of attention to detail on the part of the management, but beggars belief given we are led to believe he has taken part in a number of training sessions with the squad.

I completely understand the desire to back a new appointment and I, like very many, liked NY's stated 'vision'. However I am sure the Board would never of have thought when appointing him that 23 players would have made an appearance before August Bank Holiday, or that one would've been acquired without the ability to commuincate with other players.

Simply, this is chaotic and has to stop, for the sake of all concerned not least NY himself. I attach no blame to the Board at all, but this experiment has reached its conclusion.  
great post . I do have to ask though if it's not the boards fault whose is it ?

They hire the managers it's thier choice

They would know the individuals history and assess them vs the other applicants and make a decision based on it

As a collective who make decisions you stand or fall by them . Make good choices and get good results

Make bad ones and get bad results

Anyway regardless of all that we all make mistakes and have to learn by them

And we have to also clean up the mess as well and move on
ParkINson's red and white army

brinners

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

As I've said on here before, some people must genuinely believe Tolson and Young appointed themselves.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »

I think 'blame' and 'taking responsibility' are two different things. We all take decisions in good faith and subsequently they don't work out. NY was appointed from outside the club and espoused a new way of working a majority of us backed. It clearly hasn't worked, no shame in accepting that and moving on.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:15:32 PM by JTH »

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »

great post . I do have to ask though if it's not the boards fault whose is it ?

They hire the managers it's thier choice

They would know the individuals history and assess them vs the other applicants and make a decision based on it

As a collective who make decisions you stand or fall by them . Make good choices and get good results

Make bad ones and get bad results

Anyway regardless of all that we all make mistakes and have to learn by them

And we have to also clean up the mess as well and move on

I think 'blame' and 'taking responsibility' are two different things. We all take decisions in good faith and subsequently they don't work out. NY was appointed from outside the club and espoused a new way of working a majority of us backed. It clearly hasn't worked, no shame in accepting that and moving on.
[/quote]fair point .. let's hope then that the responsibility is taken and action taken for all of us who want us to succeed

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »

I completely understand the desire to back a new appointment and I, like very many, liked NY's stated 'vision'. However I am sure the Board would never of have thought when appointing him that 23 players would have made an appearance before August Bank Holiday, or that one would've been acquired without the ability to commuincate with other players.

I for one was dead against Young's appointment from the outset and knew that there was every possibility that we would use this many players by the end of August. Did the Board not know what he did at Stockport or even contact someone there for a reference on Young?

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »

I can't believe due diligence wasn't done by the board on Young, it would have only taken a couple of phone calls.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »

I think one mistake that GR has made is that he's had this notion of wanting to appoint a manager who'd previously got promoted from this league - that was why Sinnott was appointed and now Young. That's fine but it's not a guarantee of a manager's ability. Young did it with Chester because presumably the club could afford better players than anyone else. To me it seems like that criterion was almost a way of avoiding having to make a more acute and personal judgement - 'this guy's done it before so he must be good' basically. I hope our next manager is appointed without that sort of artificial constraint.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 11:28:03 PM »

How did the lad not get the instructions??? It's not just language, it's hand signals. The lad clearly doesn't know the game!!!

This gets worse and worse. I've never heard anything so embarrassing. A lad like Richman was kept on the bench for that. Reeves on the bench for a loanee from Fylde????????

This is all a big joke right?

I'm really worried that our 'we're a.nice club' minded board are going to watch us descend even deeper into regional football.

Train wreck!

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »

Bassangue couldn't trap a brick even if he spoke perfect English.

Bell is limited...why was he replaced with Hasler-Cregg rather than the obvious Reeves ?

And why was Sinclair pulled for Reeves ? I could see them working well together.

Sam Heathcote had his reputation enhanced today because his highly rated replacement was crap.

I said last week I'd send Sumner back to Fylde on Monday. Nothing today changed my mind on that.

We've scored 8 goals....only one has come from a newcomer. We've conceded a minimum of 2 goals in every game. Yes, Dawber is garbage, but he's not getting much help from those in front of him.

Goodall was a big miss today.

Lynch is not good enough for this league.

Not going on Monday (my first absence of the season) but I'll be there next Saturday. But if this tosser of a manager is still in post after that, I shall be withdrawing from the arena until he's gone. Just shout "taxi for Young". He can bugger off without paying me provided he promises never to darken our doorstep again.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:18:03 AM »

I think yesterday there was almost an acceptance that his unfortunate episode has to come to an end. There was no bawling and shouting or vilification directed at anyone, as I think all at the club from top to bottom realise we are in big trouble here. We all want the club to progress and be successful. I travel to Kidderminster tomorrow in the same frame of mind as i went to Torquay last season, I just can't see any way we can get a result under the current circumstances. This situation is really bad, but not unrecoverable, we need to end this association this week and regroup quickly. We have a nucleus of decent players. I'd suggest we use people in and around the club to be put in charge of first team affairs to try and steady the ship if they'd be willing to do it, even a small committee if needs be. Then we need to actually advertise the job of first team manager in the local and national media rather than expecting people to come to us. The interview process should be exhaustive and if it takes six weeks it takes six weeks.Maybe including football people at the club within the selection process. I'm very sad that this hasn't worked out for Neil Young, but it has to end, this week. Make no mistake as it stands we are heading towards evostick league football. The time isn't for recrimination, the time is for closing ranks and collectively working together to get ourselves out of this hole, division and argument clouded our demise last season, let's not let that happen, we all want the club to do well. That has to start with the removal of the current manager this week

brinners

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »

I agree with all of that Romeo.

Their number 6 commented at the beginning of the second half that he was "having a field day" on the right flank. Neither Lynch nor Sumner are good enough unfortunately. Probably lovely lads and certainly hardworking, but seriously had the piss taken out of them yesterday.
I feel sorry for the keeper. I don't think it's just the lack of protection though, as he was a howler waiting to happen when Hannigan was playing. He doesn't deserve the verbal abuse he got at the end and he has to take stock of whether it's really all worth while.
I don't believe either centre back is inadequate. They just suffer from the same condition of needing a more experienced partner with them at this stage of their careers - John Stones had something similar happen to him last year - it happens.
Many players in this country don't communicate in English, so I'm not sure how Bassangue was any different from any other. As others have said, surely there are other ways of communicating, which would have enabled him to continue. It's all just very weird.
Lawrie annoys the f**k out of me. He controls the ball and moves beautifully, but when it comes to distribution he's just bog awful. Please please give the set piece duties to someone else, preferably BHC.
I want to absolve a couple of players from blame yesterday. Sam Patterson again did very well on the right, ploughing a loan furrow yet again. That loan lad from Gateshead was completely ineffective and should like all the loan lads presently at out club, be sent back.
Sinclair took his goal well and looked a threat, beating his man and delivering good crosses on a number of occasions for our non-existent centre forward. I too would have likes to see Sinclair and Reeves as a front two, but now I fear at least one of them might leave before our next game.

It's an absolute mess and right now we are on merit, one of the three worst teams in the league.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »

I think yesterday there was almost an acceptance that his unfortunate episode has to come to an end. There was no bawling and shouting or vilification directed at anyone, as I think all at the club from top to bottom realise we are in big trouble here. We all want the club to progress and be successful. I travel to Kidderminster tomorrow in the same frame of mind as i went to Torquay last season, I just can't see any way we can get a result under the current circumstances. This situation is really bad, but not unrecoverable, we need to end this association this week and regroup quickly. We have a nucleus of decent players. I'd suggest we use people in and around the club to be put in charge of first team affairs to try and steady the ship if they'd be willing to do it, even a small committee if needs be. Then we need to actually advertise the job of first team manager in the local and national media rather than expecting people to come to us. The interview process should be exhaustive and if it takes six weeks it takes six weeks.Maybe including football people at the club within the selection process. I'm very sad that this hasn't worked out for Neil Young, but it has to end, this week. Make no mistake as it stands we are heading towards evostick league football. The time isn't for recrimination, the time is for closing ranks and collectively working together to get ourselves out of this hole, division and argument clouded our demise last season, let's not let that happen, we all want the club to do well. That has to start with the removal of the current manager this week
great post

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »

Word's can't describe what I witnessed yesterday. Shamboloic is probably the nearest.

Aside from Dawber and Bell, who surely can't be that woeful, I think the player's are trying thier best, it's not thier fault their sh*t. The management are trying, it's not their fault they have no idea and are out of their depth. So I'm sorry to say the book stops at the board.

He won't walk, so unless he's sacked we're screwed.

I genuinely think we will do a Hyde
Full time and proud of it
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Taking Stock of Today