PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jim Harvey is the new Alty manager
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Jim Harvey is the new Alty manager  (Read 17310 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »

Just announced on the official website:

NEW MANAGER APPOINTED

Altrincham's joint Press and Media Officer, John Edwards, writes "Altrincham are delighted to announce the appointment of Jim Harvey, a coach with vast experience at international, Football League and non-League level, as their new manager.

The 58-year old former Northern Ireland assistant-manager will leave team affairs to caretaker trio Jake Moult, Shaun Densmore and Alan Goodall against Chorley at The J.Davidson Stadium in Tuesday night before launching his reign in earnest at Gloucester on Saturday.

He has still to decide on appointing a number two but was the overwhelming choice of the Altrincham board to succeed Neil Young, who resigned as manager eight days ago.

'We had a high-calibre field of applicants for the job, which again shows the stature the club has in the eyes of a lot of people,' said chairman Grahame Rowley.

'In the end, after due diligence and a lot of discussion, the board felt that Jim was the number one candidate.

'With his experience in this league, we felt he was the ideal choice to steady the ship and take us forward. He presented a long-term plan, full of good, positive ideas for progressing the club, and we are looking forward to seeing them put into practice. I would like to thank everyone who applied for the job and wish them well in their future careers.'

After leading FC Halifax Town to a Wembley triumph in the FA Trophy and almost pulling off an unlikely escape from relegation, many felt Harvey was unlucky not to be kept on at The Shay at the end of last season.

Instead, Halifax went for North Ferriby boss Billy Heath, but the Northern Irishman was more interested in looking forward than reflecting on what might have been, as he said:

'I'm absolutely delighted to be taking the job at Altrincham. The team are at the wrong end of the table at the moment, but we will be aiming to remedy that as quickly as possible.

'There is a good job in hand here, and I am really looking forward to cracking on with it. A job needs doing, but that suits me fine. I'm up for it and ready for the challenge.

'I saw Altrincham at Halifax earlier this season, and I know a few of the players, but I will have a better idea of things when I have seen them again and worked with them close up.

'I've seen how results have gone in recent weeks. Confidence is a big factor in football. Clearly something is not right, so we will come in and have a look at that and see what can be done. We will try and resolve the problems and get the club going forward again.

'I thought there was a good shape about them against Stockport on Saturday, and they were a bit unlucky. So I will leave the three lads in charge against Chorley and take the reins after that.

'It attracted me straightaway, this job. Whoever you speak to or wherever you go, it's clear Altrincham are still a big name in non-League football. The club's history speaks for itself, renowned Cup fighters and giantkillers. I would like to get that good feeling back in the club again. That's what we will be trying to achieve.'

Harvey began his playing career as a midfielder with Glenavon before joining Arsenal in 1977 and making three League appearances and one in the UEFA Cup. He made nearly 300 appearances for Hereford and almost 200 for Tranmere, prior to a move into management with Morecambe in 1994, where his decade in charge included a spell as Northern Ireland assistant-manager.

His reputation for getting the best out of teams continued to flourish at Forest Green Rovers, who were bottom of the Conference with two points from six games when he became their seventh manager in nine seasons at the beginning of September, 2006.

After steering them to safety, he followed up by producing a team that took the eye with a free-flowing passing style that earned them an eighth-place finish, the club's highest-ever at the time. In his third season, he took them to the third round of the FA Cup, where they gave Championship side Derby County a scare before losing 4-3.

After Halifax made a disastrous start to last season under Darren Kelly, they promoted Harvey from assistant to manager and saw their fortunes transformed. They went all the way in the Trophy, beating Grimsby in the final at Wembley, and came agonisingly close to beating the drop from the Vanarama National League after a marked improvement in form and results"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:17:28 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Harvey is the new Alty manager
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »

A lot of  peoples first choice , good news  news
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:49:21 PM by Timperley The Best »

bigedd

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »

Wellcome to Alty fc Jim.Good Luck.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »

Great news happened quicker than I thought

Well done to the board for moving quickly and wisely

The lads and management should be proud of the last 2 games and the progress made

Happier tonight.. let's move onwards and upwards
ParkINson's red and white army

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:21:20 PM »

Very happy with this appointment,welcome to Alty Jim. Fantastic track record and likes to play nice football.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »

Delighted with this.

Good luck and welcome
Full time and proud of it

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »

Delighted with this.

Good luck and welcome
just seen your signature bravo
ParkINson's red and white army

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:29:47 PM »

Excellent appointment. The recent poll on here suggested the overwhelming favourites of those who voted was Harvey or Burr and now we've got the one who isn't an ex Macc Town legend. ;D

Very happy with this, such a big appointment and it was no time for a novice.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »

Very pleased with the appointment. Welcome to Alty and good luck, Jim!
Come on Alty!

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »

Excellant appointment, got the management experience we need right now to bring stability back on the pitch. Lets get behind him, the players, chairman and the board and get the season going.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »

Some other supporters of a certain vintage may recall the Manchester Evening News publishing an incorrect article announcing that Jim Harvey had been appointed as Alty's manager way back in May 1992...!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 07:52:43 PM »

Some other supporters of a certain vintage may recall the Manchester Evening News publishing an incorrect article announcing that Jim Harvey had been appointed as Alty's manager way back in May 1992...!

Visionary that paper!
Full time and proud of it

ToffeeBlue

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »

Excellent!  Credit to the Chairman and the Board..........  :)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:24 PM »

This seems a good appointment, however we should not be getting carried away as the new manager has inherited a squad lacking in quality thanks to Mr Young's short but disastrous reign.

I would be happy to make FA cup progress and avoid relegation now at least a week or two before the end of the season :-[

Hopefully start next season in much better shape.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »

I'm happy with this appointment, an experienced, knowledgeable and successful manager. I just hope his hands aren't tied too much by the possibility some of the dross we've got signed on are on season contracts. Hopefully he will be able to do some wheeling and dealing and move a good number on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team