PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Meet the boards. Meet the managers,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Meet the boards. Meet the managers,  (Read 25549 times)

bumble

Re: Meet the boards. Meet the managers,
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »

Did anyone ask about the recent PR disasters for the club and in particular GR's ill-advised 'rant' in the NLP? Was this GR going solo or did he have the full support of the board? Were the police involved? Was there concrete evidence that if there was in fact phone harassment that it was in fact Alty fans?

As I knew that I would not be attending the Q&A, I submitted the following question to Brian Flynn via email (but I don't know as yet whether it was asked or, indeed, answered):

Does the chairman now regret any aspect of that recent deleterious two-page article in the Non League Paper?

The subject came up, i sort of remember his answer but ill await JL's report as not to mis quote Grahame

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »

Did anyone ask about the recent PR disasters for the club and in particular GR's ill-advised 'rant' in the NLP? Was this GR going solo or did he have the full support of the board? Were the police involved? Was there concrete evidence that if there was in fact phone harassment that it was in fact Alty fans?

As I knew that I would not be attending the Q&A, I submitted the following question to Brian Flynn via email (but I don't know as yet whether it was asked or, indeed, answered):

Does the chairman now regret any aspect of that recent deleterious two-page article in the Non League Paper?

The subject came up, i sort of remember his answer but ill await JL's report as not to mis quote Grahame

If memory serves me I believe the chairman stated he was mis- quoted by the reporter Sam Elliot, It was suggested by somebody that it may help to build bridges with the fans if he put an article in the programme explaining this. The chairman neither stated he would or would not publish a statement, another reason that I believe the gap between the fans and the board isn't closer.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

I appreciate most of the concern was probably about the repair of what's happened with the team but did anyone ask how much is still owing on the community centre and when at the current rate of income it is likely to be paid off?

I think the hall is a great asset but wonder how long it will be before its actually putting money into the club.

Happy to be corrected but I don't think it's a case of paying off the CSH then all profit goes into the playing side.

Again I understand that is is just the bar taking and food sales that benefit the club. I stand to be corrected but that is what I was told when I asked somebody close to the club

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »

Which is probably what I should have done. Nice work.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

taxi Phil

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 06:26:25 PM »

From the very small snippets I've seen on here it looks like it was a real 'us and them' scenario, a rounding of the board's wagons and a liberal sprinkling of yes men/women in the audience, but that could be completely wrong. Would be very interested to hear/read a full account from someone who was there.

I made quite a large number of notes, sent as a inning update to a group of friends who couldn't be there. I'm sure Mr Laidlar will have something on the website soon, but when I am free tomorrow I will run through all of the messages I sent and compile a small report as to what was said.

John Laidlar had to leave before the Community section began, so anything you have on that would be appreciated.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »

If memory serves me I believe the chairman stated he was mis- quoted by the reporter Sam Elliot, It was suggested by somebody that it may help to build bridges with the fans if he put an article in the programme explaining this. The chairman neither stated he would or would not publish a statement, another reason that I believe the gap between the fans and the board isn't closer.

Hmmm, that generates more questions than answers. How was he misquoted? Also, the original point of what evidence was there to suggest it was Alty fans and were the police notified. As you say, a statement clarifying the whole sorry situation is what is required.

If I had been misquoted in a national publication I would be doing my utmost to put the record straight.

I will await the report on the website, but I would have thought the whole point of this Q&A session was to be more open and explain things to the supporters, thus improving relations and lifting the atmosphere around the club. It does not sound like this was the case.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »

The following excerpt is taken from John Laidlar's synopsis on the official website of last evening's Q&A session:

"A written question asked for the Chairman’s view on his representation by the NL Paper in a recent two-page article in that paper.

Grahame Rowley stated that the article had not represented his views accurately and that he had e-mailed the NLP to tell them so but had received no reply."

In which case, I sincerely hope that the chairman continues to pursue this matter until the reporter in question either prints a retraction or issues some corrections in the NLP.

A progress report and a statement in the Robins Review as to exactly how this reporter misrepresented the chairman's views would be most welcome in due course.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:32:30 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 06:33:59 PM »

If I had been misquoted in a national publication I would be doing my utmost to put the record straight.

Spot on.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

GB Alty

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 07:31:24 PM »

Spot on.

The reporter Sam Elliot is easily contactable, I was speaking to him the evening the story broke, as you can see from the links the reporter is adamant these were the chairmans words. So someone is lying? And why wait three weeks before telling the fans he had been misquoted?

If the chairman is lying about this I think he should step down - its unacceptable

https://twitter.com/SamElliott_NLP/status/772510981410922496

https://twitter.com/SamElliott_NLP/status/772513308456972288

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »

I appreciate most of the concern was probably about the repair of what's happened with the team but did anyone ask how much is still owing on the community centre and when at the current rate of income it is likely to be paid off?

I think the hall is a great asset but wonder how long it will be before its actually putting money into the club.

Happy to be corrected but I don't think it's a case of paying off the CSH then all profit goes into the playing side.

Again I understand that is is just the bar taking and food sales that benefit the club. I stand to be corrected but that is what I was told when I asked somebody close to the club

That's fair enough but if the team and the CSH both needed funds then choices would have to be made. I'm surprised that more noise wasn't made about the Hall having been paid for. That's a good news story surely.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »

That's fair enough but if the team and the CSH both needed funds then choices would have to be made. I'm surprised that more noise wasn't made about the Hall having been paid for. That's a good news story surely.

As it hasn't been fully paid up. There is a loan for 25k that will be paid 2017/18.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »

As it hasn't been fully paid up. There is a loan for 25k that will be paid 2017/18.

Which explains the lack of publicity. Thanks!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »

[/quote
That's interesting (if that is true) Its OK to get loans for the CSH but when I asked the question the other night "why didn't we get a loan on the strength of the Duncan appearance money" I got dismissed as reckless and I was even told that if I would guarantee the loan then all well and good.
Funny how they can justify a loan for the CSH and not the football teams demise from the National league and all the benefits that brings.

I am getting more and more pissed off with this lot as each day passes.

bumble

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »

The following has come via Pete Foster. I enquired as to what benefits the club get - aside from introducing people to the club.

Without going into detailed amounts, the Club is benefiting from the CSH project as follows:

- 80 year lease on the ground. Difficult to provide a £ benefit to this however it does make investment easier to justify and to fund.
- Refurbished changing rooms. We believe that this enabled us to retain the MUFC deal which we expected we would lose, with double the revenue. Also increased hire out of the ground for other games (e.g. A behind closed doors international friendly next week)
- Significant increase in bar revenue. e.g. Last weekend we had a match and two events and bar takings (not profit) were over £5k. However profit isn’t as high. Beer costs, vat, and expenses for bar staff have to come out of that, although we do benefit from some volunteers (Chairman and family, Steve, etc) on both match days and functions
- New sponsorship deal from brewery as a result of increased spend with them
- Big club events are more profitable as our costs (e.g. Room and food) are much lower than the Cresta (and that doesn’t take into account the bar takings which are the clubs)
- An additional function room – what was the Noel White bar – is available for hire, use on match days etc. We don’t yet make enough use of this I suspect.
- Not resulting from the CSH project, but the Club do benefit from use of its facilities by the CSC, who pay for usage of the pitch for Fun Weeks, Ladies match at Beer Festival, for example.
- Another ‘not resulting from the CSH’ but you may not be aware that the Reserve team doesn’t cost the Club as its largely financed by the CSC.
- Organising events - i.e. judy and stacey's time as they are CSH/CSC employees - is covered by CSH income
- Kit costs for Supporters and poss Ladies teams - plus pitch hire for the supporters and poss ladies team (I say poss because I know the supporters team do, and under the title of 'recreational' which the ladies also fall under)

The CSC (Community Sports Co.) rent areas of the ground for fundays etc. generating more income (Approx 5k) - That was mention at the MTM/MTB evening
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:25:01 AM by Jack Jolly »

York Alty is back

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »

Also increased hire out of the ground for other games (e.g. A behind closed doors international friendly next week)

Blimey - who was playing who?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Meet the boards. Meet the managers,