PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boston - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Boston - Match Thread  (Read 11221 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Boston - Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »

Their 4 was decent I grant you.

As for Hobson bang average.

Hattersley I assume will be on his as Heathcote came on and played up front.
Full time and proud of it

roytonmike

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with Cult. Boston created a number of chances, quite a few of them clearer than ours; we only made their keeper really work twice (both Wilkinson shots) though he was perfectly competent in everything else he did; and crucially they deposited the ball in the onion bag once & we didn't. I do think his criticism of Reeves is a little harsh - crosses a yard or so beyond the oncoming striker's reach were happening too often for the fault to lie purely with the striker - but am largely in agreement re Hobson.
The crucial points to me are (a) Cyrus desperately needs a 'boss' beside him in defence - by which I mean a relatively experienced, physically dominant central defender rather than an experienced 'old pro'; in other words a fit Hannigan rather than Goodall. We may have to wait a while for that, certainly in terms of match fitness even if his physical fitness is judged sufficient in a week or so, and we're not going to find a loanee of sufficient standard in the short term. (b) Our midfield is lightweight; yesterday we had three 'luxury players' in the sense that Wilkinson, Lawrie & Miller between them aren't going to win the ball for you - Wilkinson showed how well he can pass the ball but he really needs someone to win it for him. The absence of Richman was very keenly felt; some might say that he has limitations, but the fact is that he provides energy & a willingness to challenge for the ball. When he went off v Gainsborough we wilted visibly & for me at least a fit Richman would get the vote ahead of either Lawrie (for whom the word 'mercurial' might have been invented) or Miller. I was impressed by Cain - he stays out wide where Miller tends to come inside too often, & is prepared to have a go at the defence.
There were spells when we looked quite good (if still a bit laboured) & it's much better than it was, but don't let's kid ourselves - at the moment we go into games on the back foot, whatever the opposition, & Saturday isn't going to be easy watching.  

brinners

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with Cult. Boston created a number of chances, quite a few of them clearer than ours; we only made their keeper really work twice (both Wilkinson shots) though he was perfectly competent in everything else he did; and crucially they deposited the ball in the onion bag once & we didn't. I do think his criticism of Reeves is a little harsh - crosses a yard or so beyond the oncoming striker's reach were happening too often for the fault to lie purely with the striker - but am largely in agreement re Hobson.
The crucial points to me are (a) Cyrus desperately needs a 'boss' beside him in defence - by which I mean a relatively experienced, physically dominant central defender rather than an experienced 'old pro'; in other words a fit Hannigan rather than Goodall. We may have to wait a while for that, certainly in terms of match fitness even if his physical fitness is judged sufficient in a week or so, and we're not going to find a loanee of sufficient standard in the short term. (b) Our midfield is lightweight; yesterday we had three 'luxury players' in the sense that Wilkinson, Lawrie & Miller between them aren't going to win the ball for you - Wilkinson showed how well he can pass the ball but he really needs someone to win it for him. The absence of Richman was very keenly felt; some might say that he has limitations, but the fact is that he provides energy & a willingness to challenge for the ball. When he went off v Gainsborough we wilted visibly & for me at least a fit Richman would get the vote ahead of either Lawrie (for whom the word 'mercurial' might have been invented) or Miller. I was impressed by Cain - he stays out wide where Miller tends to come inside too often, & is prepared to have a go at the defence.
There were spells when we looked quite good (if still a bit laboured) & it's much better than it was, but don't let's kid ourselves - at the moment we go into games on the back foot, whatever the opposition, & Saturday isn't going to be easy watching.  

At last. Someone who actually saw the game. Boston's front two may have been big and ponderous, but they knew what we were lacking and took full advantage. Equally, their two wingers may have predictably cut in every time, but they knew we are short of proper full backs. Boston always looked more likely to score than us. Their keeper made a save or two he would have been expected to make, but was barely put under any serious pressure.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:55:22 PM by little roo »

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »

Their 4 was decent I grant you.

As for Hobson bang average.

Hattersley I assume will be on his as Heathcote came on and played up front.

Marcus Marshall was excellent....almost came on loan to us from Grimsby earlier this year....it was all set up, then he sustained an injury. He's a winger but yesterday he looked as if he had been playing central midfield for years.

I was very impressed with Liam Agnew as well. He joined Sunderland around the same time as Duncan Watmore. He played in our last league meeting with Boston on April Fools Day 2014, whilst on loan, then was on the bench for Sunderland at Stamford Bridge about a week later.

Jason St. Juste was a menace down the left, he has caused us problems before, playing for Halifax & Jay Rollins was decent on the right.

They were better than I thought they would be.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boston - Match Thread