Poll

Two teams

Yes
- 10 (38.5%)
No
- 16 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Two teams  (Read 7594 times)

altyazz

Two teams
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:26 PM »

I get a lot of stick for supporting two teams, I am a loyal alty fan and there my number one team but I also support man city, now if anyone was to ask me who I support and put first my answer is Altrincham all day long. Now I've loved man city all my life and I'm 22 now and still get called a glory hunter? Is it wrong to support two teams ?

York Alty is back

Re: Two teams
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »

I can't see how folk support two teams with a realistice chance of playing each other in a competitive game. Alty could draw City in the cup, so for me you cannot support both.

On the other hand I started supporting Rothes from the Highland League last season. There is no realistic chance of Alty and Rothes meeting in Europe...

Discuss.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »

To even be in with a chance of playing City we would have to reach the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Theoretically possible, yes. Realistic chance??

There is more chance of me beating Ronnie O'Sullivan using a stick of celery for a cue.
Come on Alty!

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 11:59:11 PM »

I followed United through the  Best/Law/Charlton era, but my heart belongs to Alty and there's no question who I'd be rooting for if the two ever met.

York Alty is back

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:03:19 AM »

To even be in with a chance of playing City we would have to reach the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Theoretically possible, yes. Realistic chance??

There is more chance of me beating Ronnie O'Sullivan using a stick of celery for a cue.

Point accepted, but obviously we have played Spurs, Evrrton and Liverpool in the cup.

Just being in the bag for round three is bloody exciting.

altyazz

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:39:49 AM »

I can't see how folk support two teams with a realistice chance of playing each other in a competitive game. Alty could draw City in the cup, so for me you cannot support both.

On the other hand I started supporting Rothes from the Highland League last season. There is no realistic chance of Alty and Rothes meeting in Europe...

Discuss.
i would always put Alty first very unlikely to happen but if alty happend to play city then alty all day long, still don't see a problem with it. What's propa gets to me is when people compare Alty to prem teams etc madness

ALTY93

• Youth \ Reserve Team
  • ONE DAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 02:55:48 AM »

I first went to alry when I was 5 and haven't stopped since I still follow city as a kid they were my team but lost more and more interest as I grew up and realised my passion for football and my loyalty was with alty as much have there old school alty fans have experienced the best of alty
I feel my best football experiences being us promoted in 2005 at stoke and the atmosphere at The play off games when we last got promoted
As much as city as a premier league team are the team for tram for me and I will always wish them well alty is the team I genuinely. Care about becUse win or lose I still care
It is ok especially in a city like Manchester to have two teams you like but there's only one team you truly feel for

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 05:16:37 AM »

Just to offer a perspective here, my group of friends brings along lots of lads who class themselves as United/City first and then Altrincham as their second team. That's the clientele we need to target. Give them an incentive to come and watch Altrincham.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »

Discuss.

We could (sort of) meet in Europe. Once we finally leave the EU and Jimmy Crankie is finally successful in her everlasting desire to have another referendum
Cmon you Sassenachs   ;)

PS I have been to Rothes and it seemed a lovely place up there in the Highlands .

I expect it would cost about a £100 each if TASC ran a coach .... plus an overnight stay..  :D

In answer to the question... I supported MUFC in the 60s as well as Alty, if the two games clashed on a Saturday then I would choose to watch Alty.

brinners

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »

I think it's impossible to support two teams who might conceivably play each other, as then you'd naturally lean towards one of them if they met. I sort of 'follow' a second team in Scotland (approximately Alty's size) so it's extremely unlikely that they'd ever meet (except in a pre-season friendly).

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »

When my son was small and getting into football I used to take him to see AFC Wimbledon and then later Fulham. Going routinely you get to know the players and follow the club's fortunes however although I tended to want them to win and would cheer them on if they didn't win it didn't really matter to me. I suppose that is the difference. Additionally now he is older and can go on his own I no longer look out for either teams' results.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »

England and Alty ... it's not pleasant
ParkINson's red and white army

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

In April I went to watch Altrincham play Bromley on a Saturday, Manchester City V PSG in the champions league on the Tuesday and Manchester United V Aston Villa in the premiership within the space of a week. I was "brought up" as a united fan but taken to Altrincham st the age of 4 and then after that I got "the bug". I left 2 of the games not caring about the score or the result, but left the Alty game severely pissed off at the proceedings. I think that is the only way to tell if you are a one or two team fan, if it actually alters your mood or enjoyment of a day depending on the result.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »

When I first moved to Shrewsbury (pronounced Shrews not Shrows) I watched them for two seasons when they played at the Gay Meadow (Oooh, Shut that door). I could never get them in my heart hence the reason I drive to Alty whenever I get the chance and as many away games as possible.

Shrewsbury now have a recently built new stadium which I have been to twice and find quite sterile

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »

I moved to London in 1982 and by 1985 it was clear I was never returning as I no longer had family there. I continued to go to Alty games in London and environs but in those pre Internet, pre football being popular days it was hard to find information - it was hard enough to find out a result never mind any news.
As a result I had been going to random games every Saturday (there's a lot of teams to chose from in London) but eventually my partner (still my partner, Plymouth Argyle) said she would like to see the same team each week as then you get to know the players, what they can and can't do etc. We had a think and chose out local team West Ham, they were however chosen mainly because the atmosphere at UP was fantastic whatever the result. In he end I had a season ticket for 20 odd years and lots of good memories but eventually the matchday experience of the premier league ground me down and I found he only bit I was enjoying was going to the pub and seeing my mates before and after the game so we packed it in 4 years ago.
Luckily a few years before that I had discovered a group of fans who live in London and would go to Alty games so that's how I get my football fix now, unfortunately going to the pub is still the best bit of the day.
Anyhow to answer the question, I don't think it's a problem to support two sides who will almost certainly never play each other, if they did and even during the West Ham years I would support Alty. 
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Two teams