PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 starting point
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: starting point  (Read 11790 times)

bumble

starting point
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »

Yesterday Pete Hughes mentioned why don't we target the rich and wealthy who use our fairly priced facilities.

This was met with 'rich stay rich' approach.

In my line of work - advertising and marketing - we always embrace the issue or problem. If the logo has to be the centre, fine, we use that as a starting point to make somethinf great.

My point is I feel like instead of looking for excuses why not, lets embrace them as use them as a starting point.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: starting point
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »

Jack

I applaud both Pete and you for this positive question. In my line of work we do the same.
The problem however seems to be a lack of interest by such individuals investing in football at all.
The club has actively sought this for years and years (I have done as well) and we do have some inward investment by some wealthy fans, some like CN prefer to be low profile, others like Bill recently happy to advertise it.

Also, dont forget the historical context that the last "owner" Maunders tried to fold the club and build houses, so at least with the current model the clubs future is safe.

If we could find a new angle to approach the rich and wealthy, that would be a great starting point. Any ideas anyone ?

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »

Yesterday Pete Hughes mentioned why don't we target the rich and wealthy who use our fairly priced facilities.

This was met with 'rich stay rich' approach.

In my line of work - advertising and marketing - we always embrace the issue or problem. If the logo has to be the centre, fine, we use that as a starting point to make somethinf great.

My point is I feel like instead of looking for excuses why not, lets embrace them as use them as a starting point.

Think the club should get you on board in some capacity as you always come up with great ideas. Not sure why they don't seem to want any help in this regard.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »

Yes, great idea that.

GB Alty

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »

Yes Jack Jolly and Pete Hughes on the board is a must.

I'm sure they will be able to start turning it round. Two people who truly have the football side of things first and foremost in their minds

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »

Not interested. You'd be better suited Jamie with your business back ground

Ian J

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »

If someone is investing purely money they are going to want a strong element of control, if not full control. Let’s face it, with football being such an expensive game, if an investor is unlikely to get their money back. So if an investor isn’t a fan of Altrincham FC, what’s the point of investing? It’s not even an “investment”- they might as well just write-off any money they put in.

With the current Board being, quite rightly, focused on the way the Club is run i.e. living within its means, we cannot provide that level of control to an outside investor.

To my mind the only way we can serious funds by investment is by the Club “selling” i.e. the current Board resigning and handing over the reins to an investor (which could put the long term future of the Club in jeopardy), or finding an Altrincham fan with money to burn.

And since the latter might have come forward by now, the former won’t guarantee the Club will still be around in 20 years’ time.

And that leaves just one option, continue to maintain the status quo, trying to get as much money (small amounts) out of the fans and local public, and, reluctantly, accepting that it may mean we perform below the levels we are used to playing at.

Sadly, I think that means National League North is where we’re at. I think we’ll get out of our current mire but without investment along the lines I’ve mentioned above, I cannot see the National League being reachable in the short term.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:07:33 PM by factorlink »

GB Alty

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »

If someone is investing purely money they are going to want a strong element of control, if not full control. Let’s face it, with football being such an expensive game, if an investor is not a supporter of the Club, they’re unlikely to get their money back. So if an investor isn’t a fan of Altrincham FC, what’s the point of investing? It’s not even an “investment”- they might as well just write-off any money they put in.

With the current Board being, quite rightly, focussed on the way the Club is run i.e. living within its means, we cannot provide that level of control to an outside investor.

To my mind the only way we can serious funds by investment is by the Club “selling” i.e. the current Board resigning and handing over the reins to an investor (which could put the long term future of the Club in jeopardy), or finding an Altrincham fan with money to burn.

And since the latter might have come forward by now, the former won’t guarantee the Club will still be around in 20 years’ time.

And that leaves just one option, continue to maintain the status quo, trying to get as much money (small amounts) out of the fans and local public, and, reluctantly, accepting that it may mean we perform below the levels we are used to playing at.

Sadly, I think that means National League North is where we’re at. I think we’ll get out of our current mire but without investment along the lines I’ve mentioned above, I cannot see the National League being reachable in the short term.

You'd better tell Jim Harvey then...taxi for Jim

GB Alty

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »

do you think I could work with this board Peter?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »

Does everyone who comes in with money to invest require 100% of shares to do so or just a healthy shareholding?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »

Ballers,

The answer to that will be (approximately):

If shares are £5 each (say) and there are 20,000 shares,; meaning the capital of the club was £100,000 (I am making up the numbers) then someone would need to buy half the shares to become the majority shareholder.  There is no guarantee that there will be that many available for sale.

So, we were told at the meet the board session that there were some shares available for purchase.  Anyone buying these would become a shareholder of the club (probably minority) and all that money would go to the club.

If that individual then decided he wanted to take over the club, he would need enough existing shareholders to sell him shares to get to the 50% mark.  However that money would not go to the club, but into the pockets of the selling shareholders in exchange for their shares.

In short - someone would only put money into the club up to the value of freely available shares.  Or beyond that once he has spent money that would not go to the club whilst he hoovers up enough shares to take over.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »

Ballers,

The answer to that will be (approximately):

If shares are £5 each (say) and there are 20,000 shares,; meaning the capital of the club was £100,000 (I am making up the numbers) then someone would need to buy half the shares to become the majority shareholder.  There is no guarantee that there will be that many available for sale.

So, we were told at the meet the board session that there were some shares available for purchase.  Anyone buying these would become a shareholder of the club (probably minority) and all that money would go to the club.

If that individual then decided he wanted to take over the club, he would need enough existing shareholders to sell him shares to get to the 50% mark.  However that money would not go to the club, but into the pockets of the selling shareholders in exchange for their shares.

In short - someone would only put money into the club up to the value of freely available shares.  Or beyond that once he has spent money that would not go to the club whilst he hoovers up enough shares to take over.

I suppose in theory the board could propose a further share issue subject to shareholders approval. Let's say the equivalent to 100.01% of the current no of shares is issued. I think Company rules say existing shareholders have first dibs, so provided the Board don't add any restrictions on the number of shares an individual could buy, then all of them could be bought by one person who would have to be an existing shareholder. This would mean all proceeds would go to the club, there'd be one single majority shareholder and a resultant dilution of influence of the existing shareholders. If an Alty fan turned sugar daddy did emerge it's a way to make sure all funds ended up in the club's pocket. *wakes up from dream*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:07:43 PM by JTH »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »

Yeh, I think you've taken my reply too literally...

I was making the point that an investor doesn't mean taking the club over lock stock and barrel.

I find the standpoint that if anyone else in the world was to get involved then it could possibly go wrong so let's not have it as an option both futile and ridiculous.

If we've been brainwashed or cowered to that extent, or the experiences of Maunders and Berman have killed our ambitions and bravery that much then that it greater damage than either of them ever did.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »

With respect Jamie, I think you would need to learn many new skills before you could work with any board.

bumble

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »

With respect Jamie, I think you would need to learn many new skills before you could work with any board.

I think a few of the board need a few skills before people can work with them.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 starting point