PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matlock or Workington at home
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Matlock or Workington at home  (Read 8126 times)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Matlock or Workington at home
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

just cheated it was workington in 1977/78 when we went on to win the trophy.

matlock was the same cup run . i recall the "invasion" of matlock and the replay had to be one of the biggest crowds i saw at moss lane and it was given as about 1500 in the papers . no wonder we had so much cash in them days !!!

Was just thinking about that, arriving as normal and suddenly there were a whole load of young lads never seen before or since, rampaging down the high street

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »

matlock was the same cup run . i recall the "invasion" of matlock and the replay had to be one of the biggest crowds i saw at moss lane and it was given as about 1500 in the papers . no wonder we had so much cash in them days !!!

I believe you may be confusing two games here Gazelle, we played Matlock at home in the Trophy on a Saturday in front of over 3000 with Piccadilly Radio in attendance. We were home to Northwich on the Monday after. The away fixture was a different season when it rained relentlessly and we were put on an open flat non-terraced end of the ground. There were Chesterfield fans there and handbags by the coach at the end.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »

I believe you may be confusing two games here Gazelle, we played Matlock at home in the Trophy on a Saturday in front of over 3000 with Piccadilly Radio in attendance. We were home to Northwich on the Monday after. The away fixture was a different season when it rained relentlessly and we were put on an open flat non-terraced end of the ground. There were Chesterfield fans there and handbags by the coach at the end.
that reminds me of the trouble as we attempted to get on the coach at macc one year they had to leave the opposite way as the coach was getting stoned
ParkINson's red and white army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »

Report on the Matlock v Workington 1-1 draw on Saturday:

http://www.matlocktownfc.co.uk/match/7058/
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

Statistics as follows -
14.1.78 FAT 1 @ Workington 0-0 (att. 643), 16.1.78 replay H 4-0 (Rogers 2, Bailey, Heathcote, att. 1100)
25.2.78 FAT 3 @ Matlock 1-1 (Morris, att. 1810 on a very wet afternoon), 27.2.78 replay H 2-0 (Johnson 2, att. 1840)
Previous season
FAT 3 v Matlock (H) 1-0 (Moore, att. 2253)
So Workington have failed to score against us in a cup match at three attempts. Let's make sure we keep THAT little record intact.

roytonmike

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »

Yes, the third being the away Unibond League Cup game in 2003 which we won 3-1 on penalties (0-0 game score) as you've no doubt seen on the main website, which also shows that we have a 50% success rate v Matlock in League Cup games (lost 3-1 away in NPL Cup in 1976, won 3-1 at home in the GMAC Cup [who remembers THAT competition?] in 1986 - the last time we played them). Can't think who provided those stats ...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:14:46 PM by roytonmike »

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 11:54:22 PM »

To be fair after 2/3 seasons where it seemed every single cup draw was an away tie we have really lucked out in our FA Cup draws now over this season and last. It won't be straightforward but fingers crossed for another first round appearance and getting the prize money up to 25k.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matlock or Workington at home