PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AFC latest accounts out today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: AFC latest accounts out today.  (Read 18188 times)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: AFC latest accounts out today.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2016, 11:10:29 PM »

What a lot of fans cannot reconcile is how well we have been doing off the pitch,...
And has this thread shown that your publishing of this information and subsequent misguided interpretation of the figures, has allowed the fans to reconcile how well we have been doing off the pitch?

No  ::)

Jezza

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 07:00:04 AM »

There are lies damned lies and there are accounts.

I personally think the club is in a healthy state (especially considering the unhealthy state we were in 6 years ago) and in a position to move forwards with a proper manager in jim in charge and that the CSH is a worthy project we should be proud of and most fans assume we are doing well off the pitch and are frustrated this is not being matched on the pitch.

I heard Lee Sinnot was told he had funds to strengthen but left it to late when he should have done it before the Colchester game which was a pivotal moment.

We are where we are and we are not in AFC Telford's situation!!!

The relegation was avoidable but it happened because of bad management and bad managerial appointments IMHO......those mistakes have been rectified (again IMHO)

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 07:42:27 AM »

Ian,
Please don't talk about attitude.
You have neglected to mention that Alty Community Sports owes the club £46,000.
If you were working without an agenda I'd have thought this was a very important point to raise.
Or is it just when it suits?
you must be mistaken I asked if we had any outstanding debts or loans and was told no.
Ian can you clarify please ?

With pleasure.
When accounts are prepared there are always creditors and debtors, these are a normal business fact and the accounts reflect a point in time. It only affects cashflow.
As everyone knows, AFC loaned CSH 25K in 2014 to fund the design, sports consultancy and planning consents etc. It appears from the accounts that on 31st May 2016 the club were owed 46K.
I have no idea if this has been repaid yet (some 5 months later) what is clear though is that as of 31 May 2016 AFC had 107K in the bank.
Wayno,... this is a loan made by the club, dont confuse this with a debt. And since this debtor is from a company whom AFC effectively control its not a risk unless the CSH fails, which it clearly isnt doing.
Ballers,... it suits me fine to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth m'lad  :D
so Pukka to confirm as at 31st May 2016 the CSH owed AFC £46k ? That being just one month after relegation, great! And we were told that the CSH would never impact on funding for the team - was just bullsh*t wasn't it?

The board prioritised the development of the CSH over the development of the football team which ultimately resulted in relegation. It's this taking the eye of the ball that so many supporters are so bitter about and can't forgive - made worse by the boards lack of acceptance and inability to take some responsibility for the mess

Jamie. You are an accountant I believe, yet you dont appear to understand accounts or cashflow?
On 31st May 2016 (a month after the season finished) the club had 107K in the bank and a debtor of 46K, of which 25K was a loan.
The P/L accounts clearly show that the CSH did not impact the team, 66K profit, YES/NO ?
Indeed, the CSH increased our income by at least 100K,... do you get it now  Mr Accountant? Sorry it doesnt suit your agenda.

There is not a chance the CSH alone made the extra 100k!! I'm not saying it didn't contribute but lets not get carried away!

Ian J

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »

As stated elsewhere on this forum, a paper profit of £27k does not equal additional free cashflow of £27k. The balance sheet is a single point of view at one particular day in time i.e. the final day of the Club’s financial year. Although cash balances on that day might have been £100k+, there could have been outstanding bills that needed to be paid which could significantly reduce the amount of cash held.

Notwithstanding if you spend a good proportion on a new player, or players, it could impact on your cashflow for the remainder of the season.

As someone who works in international finance, any paper profit or any paper cash balances needs to be taken with a pinch of salt- you need to look at the full picture which includes cashflow forecasting. And as forecasting involves trying to predict the future, it is nigh on impossible to get it right. Even the world’s most revered economists have never got it right.

So if there is an Alty fan out there with such insight, I’m sure the board will be happy to hear from you, and I’m sure that the company I work for will be willing to pay you a small fortune for your services. So shout up…

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »

As stated elsewhere on this forum, a paper profit of £27k does not equal additional free cashflow of £27k. The balance sheet is a single point of view at one particular day in time i.e. the final day of the Club’s financial year. Although cash balances on that day might have been £100k+, there could have been outstanding bills that needed to be paid which could significantly reduce the amount of cash held.

Notwithstanding if you spend a good proportion on a new player, or players, it could impact on your cashflow for the remainder of the season.

As someone who works in international finance, any paper profit or any paper cash balances needs to be taken with a pinch of salt- you need to look at the full picture which includes cashflow forecasting. And as forecasting involves trying to predict the future, it is nigh on impossible to get it right. Even the world’s most revered economists have never got it right.

So if there is an Alty fan out there with such insight, I’m sure the board will be happy to hear from you, and I’m sure that the company I work for will be willing to pay you a small fortune for your services. So shout up…

a few may be available from the tesco accountants ... 🙄
ParkINson's red and white army

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »

There are lies damned lies and there are accounts.

I personally think the club is in a healthy state (especially considering the unhealthy state we were in 6 years ago) and in a position to move forwards with a proper manager in jim in charge and that the CSH is a worthy project we should be proud of and most fans assume we are doing well off the pitch and are frustrated this is not being matched on the pitch.

I heard Lee Sinnot was told he had funds to strengthen but left it to late when he should have done it before the Colchester game which was a pivotal moment.

We are where we are and we are not in AFC Telford's situation!!!

The relegation was avoidable but it happened because of bad management and bad managerial appointments IMHO......those mistakes have been rectified (again IMHO)

That's when we should have got rid of him and maybe we wouldn't have been relegated.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »

And if you don't have such insight, shut up and don't question anything you plebs?

York Alty is back

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »

Hands up if you remember the forum being a fun place?

Ian J

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »

And if you don't have such insight, shut up and don't question anything you plebs?

Feel free to question but with accounting, you can't take an isolated figure on a piece of paper at face value. No mention of the word "plebs". Simply acting in good faith to try to add a bit more colour to the black & white...

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »

what is this mythical place you speak of pray tell?

Did it coincide with league wins ? 😂
Come on you red and white........

York Alty is back

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 01:01:47 PM »

what is this mythical place you speak of pray tell?

Did it coincide with league wins ? 😂

Yeah quite possibly. Until the good times roll once more we'll row about Accounting Conventions and Principles, something spectacularly few of us are qualified to do.😨

I'm off to the pub.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:07:38 PM by York Alty »

Matt Taylor

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »

Hi Ian. Thanks for the above. It is indeed very interesting. Although I’m not sure it really has any bearing on any “misconceptions and inaccuracies”? Let’s take out the ‘paper profit’ (as described that year by the board) in 2013 due to the cancelling of the “exception item” relating to the directors loan – that is slightly misleading. (I AGREE SEE BELOW).
We commendably made an actual real profit of £30k that year (2013). (I  AGREE SEE BELOW)
Maybe you haven’t seen the accounts from that year. In which case, please feel free to get in touch. It’s always good to clear up any “misconceptions and inaccuracies”. (THANKS I HAVE ALL THE ACCOUNTS, WHERE DID YOU THINK I GOT ALL THIS FROM).
So the figures you quote leave a deficit of nearly £60k over the same period. In cash profit. (WRONG, THE PROFIT IS 46K OVER LAST 6 YEARS)
So “consistently balancing the books” still looks a long way off and quite fanciful. (WRONG AGAIN)
Particularly when the current chairman himself was drawing attention to the dwindling cash reserves at the last AGM (Feb 16). (CASHFLOW IS DIFFERENT FROM PROFIT/LOSS)
And let’s not forget the unbudgeted quarter of a million pounds (£250k!) that have come into the football club over the last few years - that has still ended with us 6 points adrift in a regional league. (THE ACCOUNTS DONT SUPPORT YOUR FAG PACKET ESTIMATES).
But I do agree the money has not been wisely spent this season by the manager we started with.

If you want to look at this year’s accounts in isolation – as it is surely what has prompted you to start a new post. Let’s consider the previous communication from the current chairman.
Feb 16 – “The 2015-16 budget is projected to lose £36k” (?!?!) (THAT WAS 8 MONTHS AGO, clearly things improved, more functions and donations I suspect probably due top his appeal).
Sep 16 – “Grahame Rowley said that last season's accounts showed that there was just a £4,000 "profit" at the end of the financial period. So funds were largely used up.” (Again, this was before the accounts were actually completed, looks like it was better than expected).
Oct 16 – Club profits for the year to 31st May 2016 show +£27k (66K actually in cash terms)
From reading the above it’s difficult to know who is misleading who and where the incompetence takes over.

And finally, without wanting to look like I'm nit-picking (but in the interest of clearing up any "misconceptions and inaccuracies") the chairman's annual address at the AGM indicates that the initial transfer fee for Duncan Watmore was within the year ending 2014, not 2013 as indicated by your table above.
Firstly the Duncan money has never been published, it is the subject iof a confidentiality agreement so your estimate of 100K is pure speculation, I dont know either.
Secondly, Dunc was sold in late May/june 2013 so any funds would have been in the 2013/14 accounts and if you compare 2013 (475) and 2014 (507) that would seem to tally

Matt. Please see my replies to your comments in bold above.

You have been clearly irked by my comment about "misconceptions and inaccuracies" which wasnt actually aimed specifically at yourself,............   however if the cap fits then please wear it ;)

Hi Ian. It's great we agree on so much. We would probably agree on much more if you hadn't spent your entire weekend trying to find more creative and misleading way of presenting the clubs accounts to suit your own agenda. No-one had been talking about the overall health of the club bank balance/assets. I was talking about the balancing of the books year to year and living within our means (profit/loss over the year). Which we haven't managed to do during the period you have identified - despite the current board enjoying more unbudgeted income into the club during that time than any other Alty board for 20+ years.
While it would indeed be inaccurate to describe us as "consistently balancing the books", for what it's worth, I actually don't even think it's that imperative the books do balance every year as long as the cash reserves are keeping us above water. I would actually be more disappointed if the football club cash reserves looked healthy and we weren't making an annual loss. I would prefer that we over-spend the money into the team if we have it, provided we are able to absorb the loss – all of the available evidence would suggest this is something that the current chairman and I are closely aligned on.
What no-one should expect or accept is a £60k cash loss over the extended period above, having had a bucket load of money coming in, and the end result is a position where Evo-stick football is a reality. Despite you trying to patronise Martin to the contrary the other day, the two are inextricably linked - we are a football club. A fact far too easily forgotten these days, between new found delights such as walking football and geriatric yoga.
I can only hope your casual disregard of the profit/loss and your misleading spinning of the accounts isn't a view shared by the current board. I'm fairly confident that it isn't Ian. Thankfully.

I'm not sure how many times you would like me to explain my estimates in regard to cup/transfer turnover? Even I'm becoming bored by it. The cup/TV revenue is publicly available for both cup runs and so I would assume can be considered factual - unless you are suggesting the club agreed to accept less?
The Watmore money arrived into the 2014 accounts. Subtract the £75k cup money in 2013 from the 2013 turnover (£475k). Leaves £400k. We played at the same level the year afterwards (2014), and made no progress in the cups. The difference in the turnover is an increase in excess of £100k in the year the transfer funds came in. While it's not clear if this is near the final figure for player transfers or not, what is clear is that turnover (excluding cup money) increased by this amount.
So a ballpark total (unbudgeted) turnover increase of a quarter of a millions pounds for the current board to spend over the time period that you have identified above.
Instead of discussing what I've said properly you seem intent on repeating the words "fag packet" to me at every opportunity. It's most unhelpful and rather childish.

You have also been intentionally misleading over claiming that the chairman’s initial forecast at the Feb 16 AGM for a sharp loss in 2015/16 was 8 months before the final accounts. While the AGM was 8 months prior to the actual publishing of the annual accounts, the financial year ended in May 16, a matter of weeks after the AGM. Surely the final accounts aren't a surprise for anyone at the club when they do eventually arrive, and everyone is aware of what flows in and out throughout the year?
Unless you are trying to insinuate that the chairman/board aren't keeping a close enough eye on the books throughout the year and don't really know what is going on? In which case you should be ashamed of yourself Ian.
What I find more likely is that the forecast was given in good-faith and it was based on the best estimates of the board as of Feb16. Which then makes me wonder what has driven an unexpected and unbudgeted £60(odd)k turnover increase in the next 12 weeks that they were not able to foresee? It's a fantastic (almost miraculous…) turnaround in a matter of weeks, and perhaps a good-news story we should be making more of. Either way it's probably a question for the next fans forum or the AGM itself - whichever comes first.
As for the announcement in Sept16 that we spent all the money last season and made just £4k, maybe he's just panicked. Perhaps it wasn't the right meeting for announcing a near £30k profit over the season, while also claiming we spent everything we had to stay in the conference. I wasn't able to attend, so it’s also plausible that the chairman has been mis-quoted - it wouldn't be the first time. Apparently.

And you still keep trying to blame Neil Young for everything. You are considering a 6 year period off-the-pitch, and then blaming a 6-game manager for all the woes on it?

taxi Phil

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »

Was it ? Bugger me !

thegazelle

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2016, 01:38:15 PM »

i do it was a nice place to be and sometimes i smiled at posts and on a couple of occasssions roared laughing .

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »

As everyone knows, AFC loaned CSH 25K in 2014 to fund the design, sports consultancy and planning consents etc. It appears from the accounts that on 31st May 2016 the club were owed 46K.
I have no idea if this has been repaid yet (some 5 months later) what is clear though is that as of 31 May 2016 AFC had 107K in the bank.

Ballers,... it suits me fine to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth m'lad  :D

I'm sure it does Ian. I was pointing out though that Matt Taylor has been entirely fair and it's wrong to accuse him of having an agenda if you are not including quite important points from the latest accounts in the context of the discussion.

I am worried however, that if the CSH I'd doing as well as you'd suggest, that the original £25 k loan has not been repaid and in fact a further 21k has been leant to it. What was that for?

And Jamie is quite right to point out that's £46k owing to the club that could've been better spent preventing our slide into regional football. No?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AFC latest accounts out today.