PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We want Nicky back campaign
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: We want Nicky back campaign  (Read 39520 times)

dunhamalty

Re: We want Nicky back campaign
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2016, 09:08:23 PM »

Awful news and a poor statement, why shout about getting beaten to the signature of a player! If only Neil Young had offered him a contract in the summer.

100% Robin

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »

Yes, not much good news at the moment. Glad to see Charlie Joyce has gone though! If only Alan Good all could be replaced. .... by anyone for me, he's awful!!

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »

I get what you all mean but sometimes the club are never going to win in these situations. At least they communicated with us that they did everything to try and sign him back, which is exactly what they'd been criticised for in the past.

I'd rather hear bad news than no news.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »

What an absolute joke!! I'm going to have no teeth left the amount of times I've been kicked in them recently!!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »

I get what you all mean but sometimes the club are never going to win in these situations. At least they communicated with us that they did everything to try and sign him back, which is exactly what they'd been criticised for in the past.

I tend to agree with this . Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't.

However we are fast becoming less  of a non leauge giant and more of a non league joke
ParkINson's red and white army

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »

I tend to agree with this . Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't.

However we are fast becoming less  of a non leauge giant and more of a non league joke

I do take all that on board, but we're just drawing attention to ourselves in an unflattering light, it serves no useful purpose.

As for the actual release itself, if it started in reverse and stopped halfway through it'd read ok.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »

The choice was to say what happened and keep people informed or remain silent and keep them in the dark. The facts are what they are. Some clubs have wealthy backers, and that's fairly well known, so we're not exactly showing our hand or revealing something that isn't common knowledge. One of the main criticisms of late has been a lack of communication from the top, but this was a well-intentioned attempt to let everyone know why the widely-shared hope Nicky might return to Alty won't be happening. Much as the message wasn't what we wanted to hear, I would have thought the insight and openness might have been welcomed, rather than ridiculed.

Ladies Supporter

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2016, 10:43:34 PM »

John

The current situation seems to be such that whatever is done shouldn't have been and what isn't should have been.

Clubs bigger than ours have, in the past made similar statements and they haven't been met with such opprobrium.

I do sometimes wonder if some folk actually believe that the Board etc. don't care and just sit on their arses doing nothing - it certainly appears that this thought process is both common and, as we both know, entirely wrong.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »

Another PR disaster.

Who signed off on that?

Clap trap marketing blurb about wizardry and having a feast snatched from our mouths?

Can we really demonstrate our lack of ambition any more than admitting defeat to Harrogate?

I'm sorry but enough is enough now, please give us a break.

We hear practically nothing week on week about the availability of our shambles of a squad, getting team news on twitter minutes before kick off (apparently because we are protecting ourselves against competitive intelligence when we haven't competed for months on end), yet we can't wait to get out there and tell the league who we were after and how we got embarrassed out of a signature by a club with 400 fans?

I've read that article several times before posting this to make sure I've taken it in the right way and I get more confused trying to reason why we'd think it was ok to publish it???

GB Alty

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »

The choice was to say what happened and keep people informed or remain silent and keep them in the dark. The facts are what they are. Some clubs have wealthy backers, and that's fairly well known, so we're not exactly showing our hand or revealing something that isn't common knowledge. One of the main criticisms of late has been a lack of communication from the top, but this was a well-intentioned attempt to let everyone know why the widely-shared hope Nicky might return to Alty won't be happening. Much as the message wasn't what we wanted to hear, I would have thought the insight and openness might have been welcomed, rather than ridiculed.
John this announcement was piss poor communication - who you supposed to be doing a favour for?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2016, 11:04:09 PM »

What happened to if you can't beat them join them? We cant hardly say we can't try and be competitive or we'll end up like Darlington,Kettering,Rushden, Nuneaton Salisbury, Weymouth. We'll be level or below them all next year

Halifax and Chester
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »

So relating precisely what happened in an attempt to sign a player everyone wanted at the club is poor communication? I'm at a loss to understand that. What should have been done? Claim we had no interest in Nicky and Harrogate are welcome to him? Ignore it completely and show scant regard for the interests of supporters who would rightly be up in arms at being kept in the dark? It's an accurate account of a topic, Nicky's future, that has been debated at great length on the forum. Difficult to know what to do for the best when criticism is so scathing, regardless of the stance adopted.

mikeford2005

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »

Another PR disaster.

Can we really demonstrate our lack of ambition any more than admitting defeat to Harrogate?

I don't see your point here, Harrogate are a team with a very high budget. This has been known for years

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »

Another PR disaster.

I don't see your point here, Harrogate are a team with a very high budget. This has been known for years

Yes, 450 fans or not, it has been said before that if they invested some of their money in a quality manager (not the owners son), then they would make Conference National
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2016, 01:24:04 AM »

The current situation seems to be such that whatever is done shouldn't have been and what isn't should have been.

Alas, the situation at the club for the majority of 2016 has comprised that whatever has been done shouldn't have been and what hasn't been done should have been!

Hence the reason that we now find ourselves teetering on the brink of an unthinkable second consecutive relegation.

I suspect that we may well be compelled to pay 'over the odds' as regards wages if we are to attract the types of players who could yet extricate us from this unholy mess.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:28:47 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We want Nicky back campaign