Is he the right man for the job?

Yes
- 59 (93.7%)
No
- 4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: November 02, 2016, 07:48:17 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Jim Harvey  (Read 19819 times)

Barry R

Re: Jim Harvey
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »

Jim was getting there with team but they seem to have lost the edge. Getting passes to our own players seems to be a big problem, maybe this could be analysed with two clickers,one for successful and one for failed pass attempts : I think the percentage result would make interesting reading. Also there does seem to be tendency to ease off when in the lead, which is not too often. The Bradford PA game was a classic case where we conceded three goals by letting them into the game but then commenced to pressure Bradford but far too late.

Jim will sort out  the team eventually. He has good track record.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »

A guarded yes. I fear he may be a bit of a slow burner (or builder rather I suppose) for us in the context of the immediate jolt that wee need. Leon also mentions that his good style of football may be beyond us as well at the minute.

Long term, I'm not sure his ambitions for the club match those of the current board, which is going to end in one of two ways.
1. He gets exasperated and walks
2. There is a dulling down of his expectations that in itself would signify that maybe this is just an available job for him rather than something he's really wanted to get his teeth into.

I don't know, it's all such a mess at the minute that pinpointing the main causes is liking pinning a tale on the donkey.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »

A guarded yes. I fear he may be a bit of a slow burner (or builder rather I suppose) for us in the context of the immediate jolt that wee need. Leon also mentions that his good style of football may be beyond us as well at the minute.

Long term, I'm not sure his ambitions for the club match those of the current board, which is going to end in one of two ways.
1. He gets exasperated and walks
2. There is a dulling down of his expectations that in itself would signify that maybe this is just an available job for him rather than something he's really wanted to get his teeth into.

I don't know, it's all such a mess at the minute that pinpointing the main causes is liking pinning a tale on the donkey.
There has been a few donkeys on the pitch as of late fella

York Alty is back

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »

Yes.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »

Yes, but he can't do much unless he gets a couple of decent centre backs in sharpish.
Obviously easier said than done in October, but what funds there are need to prioritise this. Cyrus makes Hall look almost competent.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:02:00 PM by jhcorbett »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »

Add to that a central midfielder

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »

Add to that a central midfielder

Make that two and a centre forward plus a left winger (oh I know where there's one of those!).

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 11:18:37 PM »

A big yes from me for Jim. I expect big improvements also once Tom Hannigan and Greg return to the fold. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

All is not completely lost yet, key players need to be playing regularly, that will make such a difference and this is not be being optimistic, I think this is a fact.

taxi Phil

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »

A definite yes from me, not least because, if he were to go, we'd be looking at a fourth manager in seven months. No other manager worth his salt is going to consider signing up with that sort of stability in evidence.

Jim isn't Alex Ferguson......but he isn't Neil Young either. Give him time, but don't expect miracles.

Chrissy A

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »

As has been done on another thread, this is a long time Alty Fan who has been a forum watcher/reader for a long time, but given the current circumstances at the club has decided to crawl out of the woodwork. Given his track record I would say Jim was most definitely the outstanding candidate for the job once Neil Young left. His take on the situation we find ourselves in is extremely refreshing and at least he is not offering us the usual managerial cliches that are often served up. My only real concern is his view that he thought we were gradually turning the corner before the Telford/BPA game. While the results were positive, I wouldn't say we impressed in any of the previous games with the possible exeption of the Gainsborough FA Cup game. I wasn't at the Stalybridge game but believe it was two poor sides on show, and the other FA cup ties were not overly encouraging, especially defensively, so I wasn't overly surprised we lost the last two games as we look so easy to create chances against at the moment.
All that being said he certainly has the experience and knowledge to get us out of this mess. We need a settled back 4 once Tom is back from suspension and need to find a midfield partnership that works and helps protect this back 4. Moult and Richman have the ability to do this but either need an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the a**e to get them back playing at the levels we expect. Good luck Jim!

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »

As has been done on another thread, this is a long time Alty Fan who has been a forum watcher/reader for a long time, but given the current circumstances at the club has decided to crawl out of the woodwork. Given his track record I would say Jim was most definitely the outstanding candidate for the job once Neil Young left. His take on the situation we find ourselves in is extremely refreshing and at least he is not offering us the usual managerial cliches that are often served up. My only real concern is his view that he thought we were gradually turning the corner before the Telford/BPA game. While the results were positive, I wouldn't say we impressed in any of the previous games with the possible exeption of the Gainsborough FA Cup game. I wasn't at the Stalybridge game but believe it was two poor sides on show, and the other FA cup ties were not overly encouraging, especially defensively, so I wasn't overly surprised we lost the last two games as we look so easy to create chances against at the moment.
All that being said he certainly has the experience and knowledge to get us out of this mess. We need a settled back 4 once Tom is back from suspension and need to find a midfield partnership that works and helps protect this back 4. Moult and Richman have the ability to do this but either need an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the a**e to get them back playing at the levels we expect. Good luck Jim!
good post . I think Jim even after poor wins has been really clear that thier is a lot to do at this club. In some ways he was probably trying to build a bit of belief with the fans and team
Come on you red and white........

Chrissy A

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »

Yes, that's a fair point. That is one issue which needs addressing as soon as possible. The lack of confidence being shown by the majority of players  is quite worrying and restoring the confidence is as big a job for Jim as anything else in the short term.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »

Yes, that's a fair point. That is one issue which needs addressing as soon as possible. The lack of confidence being shown by the majority of players  is quite worrying and restoring the confidence is as big a job for Jim as anything else in the short term.
agreed the atmosphere on the terraces is really poor at the moment as well . No surprise really . But it's sad to see . The fans have been amazing over a terrible period
Come on you red and white........

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »

I cannot recall any other Alty manager who has lost six of his opening seven league fixtures in charge (or has lost his first three home league games).

Is there no end in sight to this misery?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:34:52 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »

I cannot recall any other Alty manager who has lost six of his opening seven league fixtures in charge (or has lost his first three home league games).

Is there no end in sight to this misery?

I have to say it's been surprising how little effect a new manager has had. Either Jim is isn't the right man for this unique situation or the players really are total crap. I think the latter.
Anybody know whether John Cyrus was injured today or just taking the brunt of Tuesdays debacle? I know he has made mistakes but I really feel he is a much better option alongside Tom Hannigan than Danny Hall. Hall wasn't good enough 5 years ago, another bizarre decision to add to all the other this season.

P.S. Harvey can change the defence as much as he wants, personnel or formations , but until he finds 3 midfielder then we will continue to struggle

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:01:49 PM by AFC56 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jim Harvey