Is he the right man for the job?

Yes
- 59 (93.7%)
No
- 4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: November 02, 2016, 07:48:17 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Jim Harvey  (Read 19855 times)

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Jim Harvey
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »

I cannot recall any other Alty manager who has lost six of his opening seven league fixtures in charge (or has lost his first three home league games).

Is there no end in sight to this misery?

I have to say it's been surprising how little effect a new manager has had. Either Jim is isn't the right man for this unique situation or the players really are total crap. I think the latter.
Anybody know whether John Cyrus was injured today or just taking the brunt of Tuesdays debacle? I know he has made mistakes but I really feel he is a much better option alongside Tom Hannigan than Danny Hall. Hall wasn't good enough 5 years ago, another bizarre decision to add to all the other this season.

P.S. Harvey can change the defence as much as he wants, personnel or formations , but until he finds 3 midfielder then we will continue to struggle

Danny Hall coming back was a panic signing. Like you say he was poor first time we had him and he doesn't look to have improved any!

GB Alty

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 01:54:57 AM »

I cannot recall any other Alty manager who has lost six of his opening seven league fixtures in charge (or has lost his first three home league games).

make that seven out of eight - and I can't believe that only me and one other person on this forum have concerns about the manager. We're f**ked the board have seen to that, we would go down whoever in charge. But expected better from Harvey than this, he's taking us backwards, time to start being accountable

Seems to me Harvey is immune for any criticism despite making us a worse team than what we had under Neil Young - all 'very poor' in the words of Harvey I'm sure, but not good enough for any manager of Altrincham FC

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 01:08:44 AM »

There I'll join you!

I did think Jim Harvey was a good appointment at the time but as has been said, he's made us an even poorer team. The alarm bells were sounding for me when he just signed his ex-Stalybridge players but the loan signing this week seems to be scraping the barrel.

I assume after we get thrashed by Lincoln and Salford he will have no choice but to walk.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 02:40:03 AM »

We have very short memories here . He took on an unthinkable task here . He has been given a broken squad.

However I do share the concern that nearly 2 months in there is still no more drive or passion in this team

That's a huge concern
ParkINson's red and white army

Hulme Robin

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »

We're f**ked, it's not even November.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »

make that seven out of eight - and I can't believe that only me and one other person on this forum have concerns about the manager. We're f**ked the board have seen to that, we would go down whoever in charge. But expected better from Harvey than this, he's taking us backwards, time to start being accountable

Seems to me Harvey is immune for any criticism despite making us a worse team than what we had under Neil Young - all 'very poor' in the words of Harvey I'm sure, but not good enough for any manager of Altrincham FC

Totally agree with you about the board but I don't think we're a worse team under Harvey. The players he's brought in are an improvement on who they've replaced Marsh/Hattersley,Wilkinson/Bassongue,McWilliams/Charlton but once a team gets into a losing habit it drains confidence and is very hard to break! I'm sure JH knows exactly what we need player wise but as has been mentioned on here previously where do you get decent players from in October except the loan market?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »

For whatever reason we were told funds were only being released this week. I know there's protocols but I'm sure Sunderland would have been good for it but there you go. He had a couple of days between that and yesterday's game to bring people in. Next week is problematic as clubs won't want players cup tied. But let's see how we line up against Salford city in a fortnight. The last thing we need at present is another manager going. This is an unenviable job already after what Young has done, it'll become pretty much unwantable by anyone of any note if another manager goes

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »

For whatever reason we were told funds were only being released this week. I know there's protocols but I'm sure Sunderland would have been good for it but there you go. He had a couple of days between that and yesterday's game to bring people in. Next week is problematic as clubs won't want players cup tied. But let's see how we line up against Salford city in a fortnight. The last thing we need at present is another manager going. This is an unenviable job already after what Young has done, it'll become pretty much unwantable by anyone of any note if another manager goes

Agreed. If Harvey walks who's going to be daft enough to want the job? We'll end up with Heathcote back which would be a total disaster!!

bumble

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »

Agreed. If Harvey walks who's going to be daft enough to want the job? We'll end up with Heathcote back which would be a total disaster!!

Or tolson

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »

Jim Harvey needs more time to turn this round, see what happens when Tom returns next week - AND MAKE HIM CAPTAIN

andrewflynn

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »

Given the circumstances we would find ourselves in should Harvey leave, I wouldn't call the appointment of Graham Heathcote a disaster.

bumble

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »

Given the circumstances we would find ourselves in should Harvey leave, I wouldn't call the appointment of Graham Heathcote a disaster.

He's been out of work for a while, and took Stafford and Trafford down?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »

I agree - but even in the dire circumstances we are in, I expect there will be a big list of applications offering to try and keep us up / manage us in the Glue-League
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Jezza

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »

I hope jim takes heart from the fans who can see what a horrible situation he has inherited.......I still think he'll turn it round.

some people seem to think there are eddie hussins and val owens freely available and desperate to move to a bottom the vanarama north table.....

if jim does turn it round then he's a f&&&&ing hero.........A run of games from tom is vital...and the players understanding a siege mentality and not giving the ball away cheaply....

stick with it jim.....still a fantastic opportunity to become alty folklore...

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »

Totally agree with you about the board but I don't think we're a worse team under Harvey.

Statistically, we are though in relation to our league form.

Neil Young: three points from six matches (i.e. 0.5 points per game);

Jim Harvey: three points from seven matches (i.e. 0.4285 points per game).

I'm not propounding a theory that Young was a better option than Harvey but it's true to say that our league form has actually deteriorated since Young's (correct) departure.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:21:19 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jim Harvey