PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alfreton - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Alfreton - Match Thread  (Read 25481 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alfreton - Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

I was at the game and I too left right at the final whistle (standing with their fans) for a quick exit back up the M1. First off, not that it makes any difference, the Alfreton view was they did indeed get away with floodlit robbery but hey ho. Moult and Richman looked the players they were a couple of seasons ago and gave us much more energy, Wilkinson and Miller caused them problems all afternoon.

IMHO we looked dangerous on the counter attack - we weren't dominating possession, as such the substitutions and how they affected the nature of the game are being overplayed. Alfreton were lumping it forward throughout the second half and had created nothing. Their first came from a long free kick into the box and it was clear the Alamo was upon us once we went 2- 1 up. We'll see in Johns' interview with JH, but I imagine the McWilliams sub was to break play up, wind the clock down and bring on Goodall who he thought might be better in the air. Didn't work did it?

For me the real reason we lost is we didn't get the second, or indeed third goal I think our play merited before they scored. Damien's headed miss was an absolute shocker I'm afraid. Again maybe JH will tell us, but I'm guessing he wasn't hooked because of that, rather he'd spent all afternoon up front on his own and as usual had done a great job. Desperately disappointing for all concerned but there were encouraging signs. If we are to get out of this we need to go 442 at home, get a back to goal CF to support Reeves / Marsh and so hold the ball up for Wilkinson / Lawrie.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:25:16 PM by JTH »

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »

Good post, JTH, I agree with much of what you say, particularly about Moult and Richman. They did, indeed, look very much the players they were a couple of seasons ago. The interview has now been transcribed, written up and submitted to John Laidlar, and it should be on the website at about 2.30. Just one thing on the substitution of Damian Reeves. Our vantage point in the press box was directly behind the away dug-out, and Phil Marsh had been getting ready to go on a good couple of minutes before Reevesy missed that glaring chance. The switch had nothing to do with the header. As you rightly suggest, JTH, it was more to do with the fact Reevesy had done his usual selfless hard graft in that lone striking role. Oh, and Ray, no need for an apology - keep tuning in!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2016, 02:42:25 PM »

I interviewed Jim after the game and would like to make one point, before it appears later, in the interests of clarity. I didn't ask him about the substitutions simply because I didn't see them as the cause of our downfall. Much as we were the better side for most of the game, Alfreton were always going to throw everything at us in those last few minutes, after going behind, and, to my mind, we failed to hold on simply because of a chronic inability to defend one long throw hoisted high into our six-yard box from the right and another from the left. I asked Jim about that, and he didn't hold back with his answer. Sorry to those who have been highlighting the substitutions. I would never duck out of asking a question, but I just didn't think that was what cost us. We should have seen it out, and Jim addresses that in an interview that should be on the website later today.
Just one other point, adding to Brian's response to a post by distance traveller. Ray, you are absolutely right it's no good playing well if you then throw it away with abject defending at the end, but that is precisely what I said in my post-match summary. Don't know whether you had switched off in disgust by then, but, honesty, I could scarcely have made the point more forcibly.

John/Brian. Fair point . I did turn off before your summary was finished... it was a post born out of frustration at another loss, and was written in haste.

I will give it 10 minutes before I hit the keyboard in future...

You do offer  good service at RR, I hope the team offer a similar service very soon

Thanks Ray.....I think that we are all hurting a bit right now & sometimes listening can be even more frustrating than being there!

GB Alty

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »

I interviewed Jim after the game and would like to make one point, before it appears later, in the interests of clarity. I didn't ask him about the substitutions simply because I didn't see them as the cause of our downfall. Much as we were the better side for most of the game, Alfreton were always going to throw everything at us in those last few minutes, after going behind, and, to my mind, we failed to hold on simply because of a chronic inability to defend one long throw hoisted high into our six-yard box from the right and another from the left. I asked Jim about that, and he didn't hold back with his answer. Sorry to those who have been highlighting the substitutions. I would never duck out of asking a question, but I just didn't think that was what cost us. We should have seen it out, and Jim addresses that in an interview that should be on the website later today.
Just one other point, adding to Brian's response to a post by distance traveller. Ray, you are absolutely right it's no good playing well if you then throw it away with abject defending at the end, but that is precisely what I said in my post-match summary. Don't know whether you had switched off in disgust by then, but, honesty, I could scarcely have made the point more forcibly.
you did duck out of asking the question, and it's not the first time

Very poor - does Rowley tell you what you can and can't ask?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »

I sat with my head in my hands yesterday after the game, and the 130 mile drive back South was n total silence.  

Simon Richman was inspired yesterday, Jake Moult had his best game for a while.  We had good tacking back and muscle from Wilko, Jimmy Lawrie and Miller.  So the midfield did its bit in front of a back 4 that did look more solid.  Reevsie worked and worked and his turn on the half way line for the run on goal was sublime.  If we can play like that for 90 minutes instead of 80 we will win games.

However the subs added nothing - Marsh anonymous, Obeng bypassed in midfield, Goodall anonymous.  Worse than that - we were unable to play the ball out from the back with the subs because the whilst the starting eleven knew where each other were, the finishing eleven didnt.  And therefore the ball got hoofed back in.

By the way, to suggest that Grahame Rowley should resign (several times on this and other posts) because a team that had played well failed to hang on to a lead is a patent nonsense and should not be indulged.  Its only a couple of weeks since the AGM where the vast consensus was that the board was listening to the fans and putting in place measures to address their concerns.  That is still the case, and yesterdays match has no bearing on it

VofD

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

Right - I've taken time to calm down and think since I got back from Alfreton - I missed the post match protest as I left at the final whistle to dash for my train, but the people who bothered to go are perfectly entitled to react as they think fit.

We murdered Alfreton for 85 minutes and should have finished them off well before the frantic finale. The starting 11 (of whom only McWilliams was brought in by JH) were excellent - they showed effort. commitment and desire today, as much as anyone could possibly wish for - Hannigan makes a massive difference, not least to Cyrus, who looked twice the player he has recently today. And then.....

Someone once told me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and today JH tried and dismally failed to fix something that wasn't broken. His substitutions (or lack of them) fill me with confusion. Last week he let Obeng on for 90 minutes of utter ineptitude out of position when he had Richman (who was really good today) sitting on the bench, as he so often has to. Today he took off Lawrie (who was playing well) and McWilliams (who was playing really well) and put on Obeng to play on the right up front again (was JH not watching last week?) and Goodall to play in a back 3. Why? I feel gutted for the lads who started the match, who really deserved the 3 points. The starting line up (except Andy McW) was all there when JH arrived, so what else exactly has he brought to the party since early September? I find it hard to argue that today's starting line up is not our strongest, and they played like it while they were allowed to by JH.

The upshot of the substitutions was that we lost to an awful team, who for 85 minutes looked no better than Stalybridge and way inferior to us (I think I have seen the 3rd relegated team this season, and I do not mean us!) and who should have been on their last legs at the end after going to extra time against a league team on Tuesday with the smallest squad in the N.L.N. (sometimes they have only had 2 or 3 subs this season). Why did we voluntarily give up the initiative in a match we were winning with ease?

The other phrase that came to mind today was "lions led by donkeys" - I was so proud of the starting 11 and I feel like they have been kicked in the teeth. We are not good enough for the management to make crass mistakes in team selection and substitutions. Unless JH starts the same 11 next week (fitness permitting) I will regretfully have to conclude that he does not have a clue what he is doing. I believe he said recently that he still didn't know wha t his best starting line up is - well I do and we saw it today. I know he was sold one hell of a pup by Neil Young, but JH is not helping himself at the moment. Young's brief reign was characterised by panic signings, wholesale team changes and woeful substitutions, and at the moment I am struggling to see enough of a difference under JH. We HAVE to beat the rubbish sides around us, and there are enough of them to keep us up, but we have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. I cannot recall a more frustrating end to a more promising performance.

What form did this take?

GB Alty

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2016, 03:23:28 PM »

I sat with my head in my hands yesterday after the game, and the 130 mile drive back South was n total silence.  

Simon Richman was inspired yesterday, Jake Moult had his best game for a while.  We had good tacking back and muscle from Wilko, Jimmy Lawrie and Miller.  So the midfield did its bit in front of a back 4 that did look more solid.  Reevsie worked and worked and his turn on the half way line for the run on goal was sublime.  If we can play like that for 90 minutes instead of 80 we will win games.

However the subs added nothing - Marsh anonymous, Obeng bypassed in midfield, Goodall anonymous.  Worse than that - we were unable to play the ball out from the back with the subs because the whilst the starting eleven knew where each other were, the finishing eleven didnt.  And therefore the ball got hoofed back in.

By the way, to suggest that Grahame Rowley should resign (several times on this and other posts) because a team that had played well failed to hang on to a lead is a patent nonsense and should not be indulged.  Its only a couple of weeks since the AGM where the vast consensus was that the board was listening to the fans and putting in place measures to address their concerns.  That is still the case, and yesterdays match has no bearing on it
Rowley out is not directly due to yesterdays match, but the current position the club finds itself in under his stewardship

60% of this forum voted Rowley out only a couple of weeks ago and you should respect that

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »

"60% of this forum voted Rowley out only a couple of weeks ago and you should respect that"

What?  This is a forum, not a binding referendum!

York Alty is back

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »

Rowley out is not directly due to yesterdays match, but the current position the club finds itself in under his stewardship

60% of this forum voted Rowley out only a couple of weeks ago and you should respect that

Why? only 70 people voted! There were more Alty at the game yesterday than could be arsed to vote on here. Let's asssume an avearge of 700 Alty fans per home game, 10% voted... and on that figure you demand a head on platter. I think not.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:35:50 PM by York Alty »

taxi Phil

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

I'm glad to see that your new name is an anagram of "a nut" as that's how you come across on here most of the time.

York Alty is back

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »

I'm glad to see that your new name is an anagram of "a nut" as that's how you come across on here most of the time.

Oh I see, is this Sausages in disguise? If so, love you tuna. xxx Big hugs for you right here.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »

The bit in bold is exactly how I feel.

GB Alty

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »

"60% of this forum voted Rowley out only a couple of weeks ago and you should respect that"

What?  This is a forum, not a binding referendum!
so do you think Rowley has more than 60% support amongst the supporters?

I would suggest it's far less - this forum has generally been pro Rowley in the past, in the real world his support is far less

Have you been appointed to the board yet?

Bath Alty

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »

This forum was pro-Rowley when it was populated by people with a degree of common sense and understanding how the world works.  It is now 50% trolls.  It is the people on here that have changed not the opinion of the majority of those individuals

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2016, 11:04:27 PM »

This forum was pro-Rowley when it was populated by people with a degree of common sense and understanding how the world works.  It is now 50% trolls.  It is the people on here that have changed not the opinion of the majority of those individuals

Have to disagree here. Same people, same love for the club, just truly exacerbated by it all.

Any fan of a club on a downward spiral like ours which is largely due to managerial appointments has every right to question the boards integrity, regardless of how eloquently they word it.

It's really nice and easy to say the board can't change and that we can recover etc etc but how low do we need to sink for you to accept its a fair judgement?

Let's face it we're on the verge of going from national football to regional oblivion in less than 18 months. How on earth do you expect the fans to just sit there and accept that it happens and oh well at least we tried?

I don't think we need a new board as it happens, I think we need to learn quick and change things. However, a couple more months of this spiral and I'll be right with the 'board out' camp, so to me it's not absurd to think a large part of out fan base are already there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alfreton - Match Thread