News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Neveer seen this pic before.....this will make some fans go all gooey inside

Author Topic: Neveer seen this pic before.....this will make some fans go all gooey inside  (Read 4125 times)

Jezza

taxi Phil

Thanks Jezza.....happy days indeed ! One of those memories that, as my strapline says, keeps me going.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

From the Leatherhead 1978  Final programme Jezza. Pic taken approx 30 mins before some Corn fans decided to try and get a lift back to Alty on one or two of our coaches, or something like that.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile

I think this photo was in the programme for the 78 trophy final. Of course the final was a great day in Alty's history but the semi 2nd leg was brilliant too - feelings we might have blown our chances by only drawing 0-0 in the first leg where Jeff Johnson was suspended and John Rogers went off ill - we ended up with Mickey Brooke at centre forward.  Barry Whitbread was allowed to play for Runcorn in the 2nd leg when by rights he should have been suspended too. Great goal by Mal Bailey, can still picture it from my own viewpoint seated in the stands where, horror of horrors, Runcorn had the sheer temerity to charge a whole POUND for a ticket. I think it was 20p to get in to stand at Moss Lane at the time. Great days.

arnald

Did you lads have to suffer drinking greenalls bitter in them days tho or was it stronger

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Oh boy do I remember that day.  The real fear of being beaten up by a bunch of plastic scousers.  The surprise selection of Larry Garrity ahead of Ian Morris.  The certainty that we would lose as our record at Canal Street was awful, and Runcorn were a very good team.  The euphoria as Mal Bailey rose to head home.  The finger nails being bitten, the aforementioned Larry Garrity running the ball into the corner to run the clock down.  The joy at full time.  And walking out of Canal Street floating on the air; particularly after the 4 match marathon at Scarborough the year before.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile

Oh boy do I remember that day.  The real fear of being beaten up by a bunch of plastic scousers.  The surprise selection of Larry Garrity ahead of Ian Morris.  The certainty that we would lose as our record at Canal Street was awful, and Runcorn were a very good team.  The euphoria as Mal Bailey rose to head home.  The finger nails being bitten, the aforementioned Larry Garrity running the ball into the corner to run the clock down.  The joy at full time.  And walking out of Canal Street floating on the air; particularly after the 4 match marathon at Scarborough the year before.

How did I forget Larry Garrity? Endeared himself to Alty fans during his brief stay with a great game in the semi final and then a couple of goals against Northwich a few weeks later  :D ;D

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I was standing very close to the photographer as my view of the goal was almost the same as that provided by this great photo.

I think that the Runcorn outfield players are Tony Murphy, Tim Rutter, Peter Duff & Phil Wilson, but I can't remember the keeper (I thought that it might have been Mal Rawlinson but I have a feeling that he may have left Runcorn by then).

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Was that game segregated?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I was standing very close to the photographer as my view of the goal was almost the same as that provided by this great photo.

I think that the Runcorn outfield players are Tony Murphy, Tim Rutter, Peter Duff & Phil Wilson, but I can't remember the keeper (I thought that it might have been Mal Rawlinson but I have a feeling that he may have left Runcorn by then).

Brian,

The Runcorn goalkeeper in that photograph is Graham Lloyd.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Was that game segregated?

It started segregated but without a fence so Runcorn fans gradually infiltrated the Alty corner terrace and then it went off a bit and people ended up on the pitch. There was a fair bit of tension throughout the game, we moved out of the so called segregated area and stood behind the goal as it felt a bit more comfortable.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Brian,

The Runcorn goalkeeper in that photograph is Graham Lloyd.

Thanks Cult.....I thought that it was too late for Rawlinson & it didn't look like him, but I must admit that I have no recollection of Graham Lloyd.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Neveer seen this pic before.....this will make some fans go all gooey inside