PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One for the historians...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One for the historians...  (Read 9705 times)

bighairedmike

« on: January 22, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »

Does the name Les Spencer ring a bell? Cheshire league Era. I don't know anything else, apologies.

Over to you Mike, Cult et al.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: One for the historians...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

Long after the Cheshire County League had finished, but Lee Spencer played one match for us in the FA Cup as an emergency goalkeeper in 1993 when we lost to Accrington Stanley. Regular goalkeeper Tim Clarke didn't  want to get cuptied and was about to leave anyway so Gerry Quinn had Wayne Baker, who had played the previous season, lined up, but he was either injured or unavailable at short notice, so he brought in Lee Spencer from Old Alts of the Manchester League.

If I remember correctly he wasn't tall at all and it was another of those dispiriting days when we lost miserably 2-0 at home to a team from a lower division who themselves were in the middle of an injury crisis, and had a player wearing a sling on the bench.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

Long after the Cheshire County League had finished, but Lee Spencer played one match for us in the FA Cup as an emergency goalkeeper in 1993 when we lost to Accrington Stanley. Regular goalkeeper Tim Clarke didn't  want to get cuptied and was about to leave anyway so Gerry Quinn had Wayne Baker, who had played the previous season, lined up, but he was either injured or unavailable at short notice, so he brought in Lee Spencer from Old Alts of the Manchester League.

If I remember correctly he wasn't tall at all and it was another of those dispiriting days when we lost miserably 2-0 at home to a team from a lower division who themselves were in the middle of an injury crisis, and had a player wearing a sling on the bench.

I think John King was manager as I remember him announcing that Spencer would be playing in a pre match meeting. Lee Spencer was a local lad who played for George Heslops Altrincham Sunday League side Altrincham Athletic. We lost 2-0 with ageing front man Paul Beck scoring both goals.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:51:42 PM by Spazzy Paddy »

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »

We've had a few this season who've put me in mind of Frank Spencer  >:(

York Alty is back

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »

We've had a few this season who've put me in mind of Frank Spencer  >:(

Rhymes with frank...

GB Alty

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:09:12 PM »

Long after the Cheshire County League had finished, but Lee Spencer played one match for us in the FA Cup as an emergency goalkeeper in 1993 when we lost to Accrington Stanley. Regular goalkeeper Tim Clarke didn't  want to get cuptied and was about to leave anyway so Gerry Quinn had Wayne Baker, who had played the previous season, lined up, but he was either injured or unavailable at short notice, so he brought in Lee Spencer from Old Alts of the Manchester League.

I think John King was manager as I remember him announcing that Spencer would be playing in a pre match meeting. Lee Spencer was a local lad who played for George Heslops Altrincham Sunday League side Altrincham Athletic. We lost 2-0 with ageing front man Paul Beck scoring both goals.
Was defo Gerry Quinn in charge, remember it well

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »

It was Gerry Quinn's 2nd (and last) season as Alty manager. Lee Spencer was a Sunday League keeper signed on as emergency cover really and lo it came to pass as Sale Holmfirth has already explained.

He wasn't particularly at fault for either goal but as Brian Flynn said in the excellent book Kingdom Come by Mark Harris, Spencer did little particularly wrong but you got the feeling if Accrington had a shot they would score - and twice they did duly that.

This lead to Gerry Quinn's demise a week or two later after a 0-1 reverse at Kettering. Perhaps as much for the farcical events surrounding this matter as much as the actual defeat.

Of course, all this was in the days when we had standards and such defeats and a lack of professionalism were taken very seriously and people were accountable for their actions. Not like today where some just treat it as run of the mill and one of those things.

Shame.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »

What about Les Spencer? (original post)

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »

The Les said the better ?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:39 PM »

Apologies to George's Moustache. I had obviously read Les Spencer as Lee.
I hope it was an interesting diversion, at least. (searching for a blushing emoji).

bighairedmike

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »

Apologies to George's Moustache. I had obviously read Les Spencer as Lee.
I hope it was an interesting diversion, at least. (searching for a blushing emoji).

I've been hoping that I'm reading our league table upside down for a while now.

Im always interested to learn about players before my time watching and Lee Spencer fits that bill by all of about 5 years.

Anything on Les would be super.  :)

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 06:07:40 AM »

Was defo Gerry Quinn in charge, remember it well

I must've dreamt the John King bit 😊

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:50 AM »

I'm sure he was in goal for a cup tie with Accrington. They had two shots on target we lost 0-2 (Thompson I think) bobbins & never to be seen again. ps really worried that the inner nurd has surfaced. :P

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »

I've been unable to unearth any information regarding a Les Spencer playing for Alty as far back as the early 1960s.

I'll ask the club's (un)official historian Terry Surridge whether he has any record of this character appearing for the Robins.

There was a Les Spencer who played for Rochdale and then Luton Town during the late 1950s/early 1960s.

He was born in Manchester and died in Sale in April 2012.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »

Les Campbell was the only such forename I could recall from the Cheshire League days - was one of the scorers at Rochdale in the 3-1 win in 65-6.

But the Les Spencer that Cult has found is likely to be the man, I would wager!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team