News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The abyss...

Author Topic: The abyss...  (Read 5613 times)

Teasierbeaver

The abyss...
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »

This is what tinpot looks like...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38956473

I'm glad we can drink ourselves into oblivion pitch side as the club seems to be on its way there anyhow. We've gone from what is essentially professional football to pub football in 18 months, quite an achievement.

A bit like putting weight on, the damage is done quickly and it takes a lot longer to correct.

Baldrick

Re: The abyss...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »

In the 70's players would often drink before and after a game. Millwall captain Barry Kitchener owned a pub in the Old Kent road. On a Saturday morning half the team were in there with the fans having breakfast and picking horses for the ITV 7. Nobody was drinking tea.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »

Our players categorically do not drink before or during games. It just looks that way.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »

Nobody drank on game day that's a myth in any sport, not even the biggest piss heads ! Plenty after though and the day before.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »

Nobody drank on game day that's a myth in any sport, not even the biggest piss heads ! Plenty after though and the day before.

It is definitely not a myth!! They didn't get leathered but plenty of players knocked a pint or two back before a game.

York Alty is back

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »

Three words... Big Bill Werbeniuk.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »

I remain convinced to this day that Peter Eales was pissed the day we go knocked out of the trophy at home to Cheltenham.  I have told this story before, so apologies.

It was a few days after the draw with Spurs at White Hart Lane, and it was our first game in defence of the FA Trophy that Kingy had lifted at Wembley the previous spring.

Cheltenham were bottom of the Southern League South West and Midlands, and had not won away all season.  And their goalkeeper could not get time off work so they had to put their leading scorer in goals.

They scored twice in the first 10 minutes, both soft shots, the second had Peter Eales lying on his back waving his legs in the air and laughing uproariously.  Drunk!  I am sure of it.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »

Of course it's a myth, oh and Snooker is a sport ? ?  god help me. Rugby League for example always had a big drink culture, never on game day though (even Danny Wilson waited until after the game). Don't believe everything you read and don't be so gullible when someone says "I drank four pint before each game" really !

End of rant  >:(

roytonmike

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »

If I remember rightly, Bill Werbeniuk was alleged to suffer from some form of ailment for which alcoholic liquor was supposed to be a necessary palliative - and I didn't believe that back then either ...

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »

Of course it's a myth, oh and Snooker is a sport ? ?  god help me. Rugby League for example always had a big drink culture, never on game day though (even Danny Wilson waited until after the game). Don't believe everything you read and don't be so gullible when someone says "I drank four pint before each game" really !

End of rant  >:(

It's not a myth!! Agree to disagree?

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »

Anyone who thinks it's a myth didn't regularly pick up three leading players in their taxi at 3am from a local pub on matchday. ....no names, no pack drill.

York Alty is back

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »

If I remember rightly, Bill Werbeniuk was alleged to suffer from some form of ailment for which alcoholic liquor was supposed to be a necessary palliative - and I didn't believe that back then either ...

He did and allegedly got a tax break on that very basis.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:26:44 PM by York Alty »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »

I have had; as have many others no doubt, what today would be called a 'shot' of brandy immediately before kick-off i.e. a swig from the manager's hipflask for every player.........I believe it is mentioned also in Brian Clough's book and this is why it was acceptable (and because it did have medicinal powers)...........Note though that Miners Welfare football in the eighties was slightly less skilful than the mob at Nottingham Forest
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The abyss...