PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Another one for the historians...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another one for the historians...  (Read 7479 times)

bighairedmike

« on: February 18, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »

This one isn't a Facebook personality who claims to have played for Alty!

How much can you tell me about Frank Peters? His name cropped up in a conversation at work the other day so I said I'd try and find out more.

Thanks in advance folks.

roytonmike

Re: Another one for the historians...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »

As far as I can establish he came to the club in 1965, made at least 62 appearances in 65-6, including the 3rd Round Cup-tie at Molineux v Wolves, at least 37 in 66-7, at least 44 in 67-8, and a further 17 in 68-9. His last 1st XI game was on Boxing Day 1968 - NPL v South Liverpool (H) lost 1-2. It looks as if he was a right-sided player as he seems to have worn shirts 4, 7 & 8 most often. Can't tell you much more - he was part of the team for my second ever Alty game (FAC1 v Crewe (H) Nov 68 - lost 0-1) & I was present for his last game, but have no memory of him specifically. Cult might possibly have more info?

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »

Tough tackling midfielder, always referred to as Frankie. 

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »

I'm showing my age now, but I can remember watching Frankie Peters in the Jack Swindells era. He wore number four, if I remember correctly, and was a wiry, quite small but tough and energetic wing-half (as they called them in those days) who got around the pitch, tackled hard and could pass. As that description may suggest, he was some player, the sort that makes teams tick.

York Alty is back

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:34 AM »

I'm showing my age now, but I can remember watching Frankie Peters in the Jack Swindells era. He wore number four, if I remember correctly, and was a wiry, quite small but tough and energetic wing-half (as they called them in those days) who got around the pitch, tackled hard and could pass. As that description may suggest, he was some player, the sort that makes teams tick.

So why hasn't he turned out for us this season??

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »

Same era as me John. I remember Frankie Peters well as the number 4. Tough as old boots not that tall but a very good player for Alty who was the engine room of the team

I did hear that he now lives not far from my neck of the woods in Shropshire . Oh how we could do with his sort nowadays.

I Think he was around when Derek Halliwell was in the team

I think he also played for Sankeys Wellington

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »

Yes he was the engine room of the team alongside Les Campbell in midfield. Popped up with the occasional goal if I remember correctly. He was one of three players who joined from Sankeys but I'm struggling to remember who the others were, even though I can still recite the full starting eleven!

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »

Jimmy Brown may have been one of the trio from Sankeys.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »

Yes he was the engine room of the team alongside Les Campbell in midfield. Popped up with the occasional goal if I remember correctly. He was one of three players who joined from Sankeys but I'm struggling to remember who the others were, even though I can still recite the full starting eleven!

Was that your first season? I can still recite the full starting eleven from my 1st season in 1981!!

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »

Actually I'd probably been attending now and again for about 4 years by the time that team was assembled. Most of the earlier teams always contained at least a couple of A N Others in the line-up reported in the Friday edition of the MEN. The only players I can really recall from the earlier days were the ex-pros we signed....John Higgins, Tommy Banks, Albert Quixall, Charlie Mitten and for some reason, an absolutely useless Scottish centre forward, who could only head the ball but couldn't use his feet to save his life, and I think was called McCreadie

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »

Jimmy Brown may have been one of the trio from Sankeys.

Yes I did think Jimmy Brown was one of them. Think George Forrester may have been the other one.

anglo alty

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »

Played a large part in last 3 Cheshire Lge  campaigns .I was only a young boy then but cannot remember any adult in the main stand having a bad word to say about him and some of them were hard to please. Can remember some good players like Worth and Lister coming in for some stick now and again

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 04:09:10 PM »

i remember frank peters playing for Alty in the 60s
Harold

Spring

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »

I too remember all those players you mentioned and Bobby Allen in goal plus Paddy Mulvey the Irish left winger and Freddie (?) Taverner as an inside forward and Tommy(?) Hill at wing half and Neil Dewar at centre back. Those were the days before the floodlights and any replays had to be played on a midweek afternoon which meant if you were at school you always missed the first half. We cycled down from AGS at quick speed to get the second half. The manager was a certain Freddy Pye who allowed two or three schoolboy supporters to travel on the team bus to away games and we got to know the personality of the players quite well.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »

Spring,

Did you know one of those schoolboy team coach travellers as Brian Lomax?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team