PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matt Doughty Q and A
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Matt Doughty Q and A  (Read 13647 times)

Matt Taylor

Re: Matt Doughty Q and A
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »

If the priority for next season is to simply stabilise at Evo-Stick level then sticking with the current managers would of course help fulfil the objective of stabilisation.

But if, as per the recent Strategic Plan released by the board, the intention is immediate promotion from the Evo-Stick (followed by fairly swift promotion back to the Conf National), then appointing two inexperienced managers with an awful record in football management is a dreadful idea.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »

Matt and Robbie, said they wanted to stabilise and bounce back immediately.

Its up to the board to decide whether they do it or someone else.

Time will tell which was the correct decision.

Malty G

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »

Regarding Nicky Clee, I'm not sure I buy the "doubling up" explanation as they were starting him at full-back not switching him there during the game .Just because one team does it one week doesn't mean the next opponents will do the same. If a team does want to double up on him then it's up to the management to make sure our players make  the most of the extra space elsewhere. I don't think Nicky has the stamina to get up and down the full length of the pitch for 90 mins. My preference is to play your best players in their best position and not put square pegs in round holes.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »

I agree over Clee, he should be played on the wing, not a wing back.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »

He's scored 7 goals this season so I wouldn't imagine I'm far off. And that's more than Owens, Hobson and Evans combined. It's all well and good  saying we neededto tighten up but you can concede and win games but you can't fail to score and win. Goalless draws were never going to be good enough for us, we needed to win matches. Or is their philosophy to get players used to a system we will be playing next season and to write off this season. If so , I don't think I'd want to watch us play that way in the evostik.
I have posted a couple of times already on this but in my opinion Damien will play at a higher level than us next season and will be in double digits for goals

He is a very sad indication of where the club is now and the dressing room morale that was discussed last night

He has been surrounded by incompetence and it's affected him

He would be the first to admit he has not played well and in hindsight he should have left when that joker young was let into mad house

However I also agree no one should ever start just on reputation

What a sad ending for  a striker that has scored so many Goals for us over the years
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:32:44 PM by wayno »
ParkINson's red and white army

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »

He's not match fit. How many minutes on the pitch has Doughty given him? He's 31 not 51, get him playing and give him the bloody ball in the box, its not rocket science, and he was never a pace player anyway. I dont buy it, there's more to it and its not being fully brought out into the open, possibly for good reason.

Also, is it Doughty and Lawton now or still just Doughty and Lawton as assistant?

At times it all reads like a circus to me. I hope our resurgence continues but its going to be a tough game after Stalybridge won 4-3 over BPA. I dont think we'll win to be honest, i'm starting to feel like i've got a bit carried away believing we're suddenly a poor side instead of the very very poor side we have been before now.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »

A large amount of the squad were not fit at the start of this season which was another part of the issue as well 😐

Jezza

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »

I was very impressed with their attitude.....I'd love them to succeed.....

We have needed a manager to come in and get the basics sorted.....they should have found a keeper as a priority....they have done that now and I think you can see the mindset changing....a bit of confidence that the opposition are not necessarily going to score again and again.......I think this keeper could turn into a cult figure and that's what has been needed... a strong character....

Now they should get Reevesey playing and scoring goals....if the ball drops in the box who do you want on the end of it???

Reeves turned the FA Cup match with a turn swivel and goal out of nowhere....no-one else is capable of that.....

I'm happy to let them have a crack at next season....they obviously care, they are putting pressure on themselves and the team......they are better than Young, Tolson and Harvey.

I don't think buzz had much input at all under jim by the sounds of it.

Lets make a fight of it till the end of the season, finish at least 3rd bottom...lets get some pride back.......if grahame would step down to community director we could all unite and maybe get a bit excited about next season and beyond.....

robins1978

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »

Hi Cult, they said they had someone at Bower Fold watching the game sho was going to report back to them.

I confess to being a little surprised that neither Matt Doughty nor Robbie Lawton appear to be taking the opportunity to head over to Bower Fold tonight in order to watch Stalybridge Celtic versus Bradford PA, particularly as we are scheduled to play both of those clubs in two of our next three league fixtures.

That would just seem to constitute a potentially more profitable evening than conducting this somewhat immaterial forum.

GB Alty

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »

Matt and Robbie, said they wanted to stabilise and bounce back immediately.

Its up to the board to decide whether they do it or someone else.

Time will tell which was the correct decision.
Stabilise and bounce back immediately are totally different things

Matt and Robbie would say anything to get the job

Pity is they will get it because their ex-players and mates of Rowley despite having no experience or track record at all

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 09:02:35 AM »

Hi Cult, they said they had someone at Bower Fold watching the game sho was going to report back to them.

I confess to being a little surprised that neither Matt Doughty nor Robbie Lawton appear to be taking the opportunity to head over to Bower Fold tonight in order to watch Stalybridge Celtic versus Bradford PA, particularly as we are scheduled to play both of those clubs in two of our next three league fixtures.

That would just seem to constitute a potentially more profitable evening than conducting this somewhat immaterial forum.

Even so, it's only down the road, it's ridiculous/unacceptable they didn't go.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »

I never thought that we wouldn't have someone at Bower Fold to watch Tuesday night's fixture but I'm still rather perplexed as to why Doughty or Lawton wouldn't have wanted to witness both of those imminent opponents with their own eyes.

Was holding a public audition for the management posts deemed to be the priority?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »

He's scored 7 goals this season so I wouldn't imagine I'm far off. And that's more than Owens, Hobson and Evans combined. It's all well and good  saying we neededto tighten up but you can concede and win games but you can't fail to score and win.
Goalless draws were never going to be good enough for us, we needed to win matches.
Or is their philosophy to get players used to a system we will be playing next season and to write off this season. If so , I don't think I'd want to watch us play that way in the evostik.

15 league games under Doughty & Lawton have produced the meagre total of nine goals.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matt Doughty Q and A