News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yesterday's walk out

Author Topic: Yesterday's walk out  (Read 2765 times)

Time to go

Yesterday's walk out
« on: March 19, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

While the current situation that Rowley has created at the club is no cause for celebration, everyone involved with yesterday's protest should be very proud of themselves. It went as well as we could have hoped it would, and we have a few thank you's to make.

Firstly, thanks to the fans who left the ground for their exemplary behaviour during the first 15 mins and on the way out. In spite of provocation from a couple of lone voices trying to belittle them on the way out, and the utterly disgraceful matchday programme article - hang your head in shame Mike Garnett.

A big thank you to the vast number of people who stood and applauded as we left, from all sides of the ground. It was unexpected and humbling, but also encouraging. It clearly demonstrates that the will exists within the fan base to push for change.

Thanks to the supporters and officials from Stalybridge for their show of support, and for staying respectful when they came to stand next to us.

Thanks to the stewards for their cooperation and encouragement. And to the Tatton pub for hosting us afterwards.

Thanks to everyone who played their part in the organisation and in the build up. In a post-Rowley world, their skills and enthusiasm are something that the club should be tapping in to.

Thanks to everyone who contributed the cost of the banners and leaflets. I don't have a final figure but everyone's generosity was so overwhelming that we have a significant amount left over that will be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Im not sure of exact final numbers involved in the day as we didn't count. Firstly, because it has never been about numbers, and secondly the chairman's daughter-in-law was doing such a good job herself stood by the exit gate that we didn't see the point in us both doing it. So an extra thanks to Stacey Rowley for doing that.
For anyone who was wondering, they were 30 Alty fans in the Tatton by half 3, plus other supporters who had left the game and didn't come to the pub, and plus further fans who walked to the gate to show solidarity. 
I'd estimate around 45-50 took active part. Which is a significant % of our core support, and a great turnout considering the extreme nature of the action.

Moving forward, protests will be ongoing. Regardless of what happens on the pitch. Obviously Tuesday is too soon, but looking further ahead we will be considering future plans.
If anyone has any ideas or wants to get in touch then you can do so via the @goodbyerowley Twitter page or contacting goodbyerowley@outlook.com

Jenga

Re: Yesterday's walk out
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »

I have not posted for such a long time, but felt i should post my idea.

I have to admit that the protests are something I think do need to be done. We do need change at the top.

Secondly I believe that Matt and Robbie, could do a good job for us. As mentioned in the briefing they did they have only been in charge since January. it is not their team, but they have improved performances and results in recent weeks. It takes time to get feet under the table. Look how long it took Fergie he was nearly pushed out following protests and petitions (which i am happy to say i didnt sign).

On to my point regarding protests. Would it not be a good idea to hold a protest but to stay IN the ground but congregate is a specific area of the ground. Thus showing support for the team and you can continue singing (i say you as i have protested by not coming this season any longer, i would rather spend £14 on taking my kids out). A side product of this is that you are likely to get more people involved who want to protest but also want to watch the game. The 45-50 people could possible increase well above 100, if those that clapped yesterdays venture is anything to go by?

I will leave it with you folks.

Up the Alty.

Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »

Taggart didn't fail twice as a assistant manager at Man Utd before he got the gig as manager

Matt Taylor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

To be fair to Fergie, he came to Man United having already won domestic titles and major European trophies elsewhere. The best part of Matt Doughty's CV is a handful of points picked up against some of the worst sides in a regional league.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »

And where did Nigel Clough cut his teeth - Burton Albion - Matt and Robbie deserve a proper chance, especially in light of recent improvements.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »

A friendly takeover of the main stand for the entire game. I've seen it done in France to great effect. 50 people sat in the main stand singing for the whole game, supporting the team, calling for change and nothing offensive or directed at any individual. In parallel a boycott of the chequers end by home and away fans, just banners asking for change.

Well done to all involved yesterday, proud that our fans can protest in such a respectable and effective way.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »

And where did Nigel Clough cut his teeth - Burton Albion - Matt and Robbie deserve a proper chance, especially in light of recent improvements.

Sorry Steve but that's a risible comparison. Clough had a very successful playing career, won full england caps, and plenty of praise for how he handled the burden of who is father was and also his style of play.  He also had experience of non-league football in his early days. I daresay he could have got a bigger first job than Burton if he had wanted it.

If Doughty and Lawton had never played for us they, in my opinion, would not have got the management role here. If they turn it round and make a success then fair enough, but they are not in Nigel Clough's league.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »

Sorry Steve but that's a risible comparison. Clough had a very successful playing career, won full england caps, and plenty of praise for how he handled the burden of who is father was and also his style of play.  He also had experience of non-league football in his early days. I daresay he could have got a bigger first job than Burton if he had wanted it.

If Doughty and Lawton had never played for us they, in my opinion, would not have got the management role here. If they turn it round and make a success then fair enough, but they are not in Nigel Clough's league.

Didn't he become a player coach to begin with
It's all my fault.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »

To compare Nigel Clough to Matt Doughty is one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard, up there with your suggestion of GH joining the Board.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yesterday's walk out