PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Social Media - A 'Resignation'
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Social Media - A 'Resignation'  (Read 9999 times)

andrewflynn

« on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »

I have stepped down following Saturday's events. I have no problem with sharing my email to the Club to provide clarity for those interested:

Morning all,

With immediate effect, I will no longer be volunteering my time and intellectual property towards maintaining the Altrincham Football Club's social media accounts. I hope you can understand that I make this decision with a heavy heart, yet after this weekend's events I no longer feel comfortable with the position.

When I was approached to run the Football Club's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts I was honoured that a fellow fan had reached out and put my name forward for such a vital role within the Club's online presence. I'd like to think that over the past six months we have grown the social media channels in to some of the most respected in non-league football, and we have had many success stories along the way; being able to bring the FA Cup to the J. Davidson Stadium was a proud moment, not to mention the £2,000 won for the Club through Marathonbet's Social Media Challenge.

From my understanding, the password for the Twitter account was changed mid-game on Saturday, March 18th to freeze access for a fellow volunteer who was active in the demonstration against the Chairman.  At no point was I notified of this and I was an afterthought throughout this process. Although I was at work, had I been handed the new password I could have maintained the Twitter feed to save online-face for the Club. Instead, it is now 9:00 on Monday, March 20th and there still hasn't been a tweet since the 56th minute of the game. I have to wonder why I was not handed the new password on the spot? I have to believe that it was because those who made the decision did not want me to have it, either.

I support the demonstration and the fans that chose to take part. I did make that fairly obvious on the altyfans.co.uk forum with various posts in its favour. Action could have been taken prior to the game, if that's how the relevant people felt. Changing a password to an account mid-game is petty and poisonous.

Never have we let personal opinion get in the way of professional coverage for the Club. I would like to think that I maintained impartiality with the content I produced and the communication I had with Club Officials. I never used the social media channels to funnel any sort of agenda-filled connotations.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to make your bed, you lie in it. I was given the new password late on Saturday night but quickly found that I had lost all desire to post. The decision to change the password should not have been made unless there were plans to hand over coverage to someone else. I find Saturday's events to be a bit of a slap in the face of the hard work we have put in, and the time we have dedicated on top of our own paid positions elsewhere.

Clearly, its all getting a bit too political for me now. This is not what I volunteered my time in aid of Altrincham for.

I would like to say thank you to Brian Flynn, John Laidlar, John Edwards, Mike Ripley, Bill Waterson, Jack Jolly and anyone else that I have communicated with over the past six months or so. You have all offered me advice and guidance where I have needed it. I hope my stepping down does not lumber anyone with unwanted work, but as I said, those who made the decision to freeze us out of the account can now deal with the mess.

I would be happy to pick this role back up once there is change at the top.

Kind regards,

Andrew Flynn
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:37:48 AM by Fabio Bassangue's English Tutor »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Social Media - A 'Resignation'
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »

Thank you for your time, enthusiasm and commitment to the social media team.

Prior to Saturday it was an account that was beginning to attract the attention of several large brands willing to become involved in the club - down to your hard work.

The red Monday campaign, free shirt Friday's, the FA cup to miss lane, FA cup team of the round, the Valentines she's a keeper, and introduction of Instagram were all possible because of you running the day to day so well.

Asking you to work on the account today was a decision that proved to be one the better decisions made this seasonx

You wouldn't have approached the club to run the account, and I hope the club learn if they reach out to people, with the skills required, and ask them to join, they more than likely will. (Or would prior to this weekend.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:48:22 AM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »

Very sad that decent long standing supporters who have VOLUNTERED their time and energy into running the social aspect of the club get treated the way they have. There was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary posted on Saturday, therefore I have to come to the conclusion the chairman instigated the act out of retaliation towards fans of the club who are against his leadership.

Altrincham FC is fast becoming all about Mr Rowley.

Next will be a paid independent body to run the social side!

As I said on another thread it's extremely sad when I'd rather work and keep out the way. Haven't felt as low and disconnected from my club in 24 years.

AT

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »

There is something rotten in the state of Denmark.

The social media presence has been fantastic this season and Twitter has been a lot more preferable and palatable on the eyes than the albeit fantastic service we get from the main site which is ghastly in appearance.

From someone abstaining from attending matches even with a season ticket... Thank you for your valuable service.

It's a shame that this has ended in such a farce.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »

Sorry to see you go, Andrew. Thanks for all your time and efforts.

York Alty is back

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »

Very well worded.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »

Thanks Andrew for sharing this. Thanks for your hard work, and thanks to the rest of the team who keep us exiles right at the heart of the club we love.

I'm literally sick to the back teeth of Altrincham FC now. It doesnt stand for the things it did 18 months ago, let alone 25 years ago. Its lost its place in my heart for the time being. I'll be moderating the forum because I think its important to let people share balanced views but I give up on having an opinion of the wretched goings on at this football club.

Its descended into madness and i'll get back to loving it once it has the right custodians handling it, right now I can't relate to their behaviour or opinions so i'll opt for quiet disregard.

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »

An Alty Exile here, who relies heavily on all aspects of social media..so many thanks. The army of volunteers who help on FB, Twitter, Radio Robins, Matchday Updates..keeps me plugged in to whats happening wherever I am in the world (I am typing this on a flight now for example). So thanks for all your efforts in the past...thanks again to everyone still involved. For me it's a lifeline of sorts.

Even if Twitter has become T**tter for us for a while, I remain hopeful that all involved in the club pull together and find a workable solution to the current issues.

AltySi

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:36 PM »

Does anyone from the Football Club care to comment on the future of the Social Media channels ?.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »

The new 'low of the week' (so far).

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:09 PM »

Does anyone from the Football Club care to comment on the future of the Social Media channels ?.

Perhaps they have already forgotten what the new password to the club's Twitter account is?

Going back to what happened circa 56 minutes into the Stalybridge Celtic match last Saturday, there can't be that many people at the club who have both the authority and know-how to undertake a change of the Twitter account's password.

Who oversees such IT issues at the J Davidson Stadium?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:59:21 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

Perhaps they have already forgotten what the new password to the club's Twitter account is?

Going back to what happened circa 56 minutes into the Stalybridge Celtic match last Saturday, there can't be that many people at the club who have both the authority and know-how to undertake a change of the Twitter account's password.

Kim Jong Un ?

York Alty is back

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:10:42 PM »

Kim Jong Un ?

Mr Row Lee.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »

I get to around 10 games a year usually, this year I think it's 3 and the only time I will be back is to join in any future protests it's a real shame what's happening at alty and I feel for all the hardcore support who still go week in week out. I to relied on social media to follow alty so thanks for your efforts.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »

I've removed a post that was 'hazarding a guess' at who this might be. (Im not talking about the North Korean leader suggestion above btw  ;))

In the interests of the forum I removed it after being made aware of it and the potential accusations that could made as a result.

Its a shame I had to do that because the post in itself was a harmless guess at who might be running IT at the club, so no offence to the poster, I assure nothing personal there.

The risk is that the club or individual take this as an accusation of what turns out to be a serious wrong doing on someones part.

So to clarify, as of now we do not know who is responsible for Saturdays online lockout of the social media team, or who is managing IT for the club as a whole. Naturally we await a club official to make comment on it.

Thanks for your understanding
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:15:23 PM by L'Homme du Sport »
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team