PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robins Review: Tuesday, 21st March 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Robins Review: Tuesday, 21st March 2017  (Read 14228 times)

Spring

Re: Robins Review: Tuesday, 21st March 2017
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »

I agree with my dear adversary George Heslop's Moustache .....supporters should expect another option and that in a situation of abject failure, the Head Honcho takes the responsibility for what has happened on his watch. That is exactly what would happen in a Private Company.

I am interested in Cheshire Cat's views, as he clearly is a calm and reasoned supporter and would like his answer to 2 questions that I feel are very pertinent to the running of our wonderful club that currently is in a real mess

1) Does he know why Andrew Shaw resigned. He was clearly a man of substance and repute but decided to wash his hands of what?

2) Does it disquiet you that the Twitter account was taken over, that supporters were allegedly stopped from speaking at the Review meeting and that the Club has been silent on both issues?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »

First of all apologies to George and his moustache. I wasn't trying to insult you. It doesn't have to be a football club. Alternative sports are available.
I feel you could be in the wilderness for some time if Mr Rowley digs his heals in.

Unfortunately Spring I don't have any kind of inside track. I don't know anything of Andrew Shaw's resignation. My understanding is that Andrew was recruited in previous troubled times to help steady the ship. Maybe he thought his work was done or perhaps he could see the next round of trouble brewing. I don't know. 

In answer to your second question Spring, I think that some explanation needs to be forthcoming but I fear that what whatever the explanation, it will not be well received. I don't want to dwell on Twittergate but it is my personal opinion that whoever (sorry I don't know names) was tweeting did it in as supportive a way of the protest as possible but someone decided they had overstepped a mark and decided to pull the plug. I believe the strategic meeting is still on facebook. A supporter attempted to get questions answered that historically had been ducked. The meeting chair decided this was "out of scope" and therefore attempted to bring things back on track. Whether this tactic was pre-planned
 I don't know but it would have been naive not to have anticipated such a possibility.

The big issue is that in the absence of any communication on  matters  suspicion, rumour and all kind of alternative truths will prevail.

The chairman has offered a meeting and I think a couple of hundred season ticket holders turning up might be a sobering experience.

Spring

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »

You are quite right in the void caused by the club not communicating, one is left to imagine the worst scenarios. I.e. Andrew Shaw left because Graham Rowley would not resign and the Chairman himself order d the twitter account to be stopped. If either were true it would not look good for him but in the absence of facts conspiracy theories will abound.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »

First of all apologies to George and his moustache. I wasn't trying to insult you. It doesn't have to be a football club. Alternative sports are available.
I feel you could be in the wilderness for some time if Mr Rowley digs his heals in.

Unfortunately Spring I don't have any kind of inside track. I don't know anything of Andrew Shaw's resignation. My understanding is that Andrew was recruited in previous troubled times to help steady the ship. Maybe he thought his work was done or perhaps he could see the next round of trouble brewing. I don't know.  

In answer to your second question Spring, I think that some explanation needs to be forthcoming but I fear that what whatever the explanation, it will not be well received. I don't want to dwell on Twittergate but it is my personal opinion that whoever (sorry I don't know names) was tweeting did it in as supportive a way of the protest as possible but someone decided they had overstepped a mark and decided to pull the plug. I believe the strategic meeting is still on facebook. A supporter attempted to get questions answered that historically had been ducked. The meeting chair decided this was "out of scope" and therefore attempted to bring things back on track. Whether this tactic was pre-planned
 I don't know but it would have been naive not to have anticipated such a possibility.

The big issue is that in the absence of any communication on  matters  suspicion, rumour and all kind of alternative truths will prevail.

The chairman has offered a meeting and I think a couple of hundred season ticket holders turning up might be a sobering experience.

Hi, as I was 'that supporter' I can assure you nothing was pre-planned on my part. I actually decided to raise the alleged Neil Young cyber bullying issue in response to a lengthy speech by Graham Heathcote, the main thrust of which was that all would be well if everyone pulled together and got behind the Board. In the interest of balance I thought that it needed to be pointed out this would be very difficult as the perception among a large % of supporters was the accusations had never been properly withdrawn by GR and was a significant continued cause of division. If allowed, I would've gone on to say facts are one thing but perception is another and when in a position of leadership you cannot afford the two to get muddied and let matters drift as they can become corrosive. This has clearly happened.

I fully accept this was outside the scope of the ground rules for discussion at the Review  laid down by Ian Watmore. Then again so was Graham Heathcote's call to arms immediately preceding. I think you'll accept that if ground rules can be broken by one party and not another at the whim of 'authority' it amounts to censorship.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:20:10 PM by JTH »

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »

The fact that Heathcote was given free reign to say what he wanted for as long as he wanted made a mockery of Ian Watmore's ground rules and also sickening how he begged for Doughty and by association himself to given the managers role.

Jezza

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »

I would take an educated guess that Andrew Shaw just felt his job was done and in the face of flak coming the boards way felt the time was right to stand aside.

He and Geoff Goodwin always said they'd walk away when the job was done and the club was debt free.

I know Andrew was pivotal in the HMRC negotiations and the chequers end development and probably was more responsible than we know for the CSH.

Yes he came across as rude, arrogant and I know best but so did Geoff at times but both stepped down at the right time and their legacies should be gratefully remembered.....Grahame please take note.

Actually at the time of the chequers end concept the board clashed with STAR simply because Jacqui had come up with the idea of doing a sort of CSH in the chequers old night club...

I'd be far more interested in hearing Paul Daine's reasoning for stepping down.....but in doing so he should also be gratefully recognised, he is a staunch supporter of the club in voice and through financial sponsorship and a decent bloke.

What is really worrying is this thing is getting nastier and nastier and dragging other innocent people's names into the mud......The CSH manager is doing a tremendous job and should be respected regardless of family ties.

AltySupporter

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »

I don't think the chairman should resign but this issue does need sorting.

I think you need to turn up to a meeting en masse. One side has to convince the other that they are wrong. You left with dignity on Saturday. You need to turn up, control your anger and get your argument across. Same for the board.

My feeling is, in the absence of no other option being offered, those with a grievances against the chairman should accept his invitation for a meeting.  To dig heels in and dismiss it as a pointless exercise just continues this maddening impasse. Maybe a small delegation representing the views, requests and suggestions of embittered supporters would be best - the walkout seemed well planned and was generally respectful in its execution and aims. Whatever opinions people have of Mr Rowley's dealings with supporters, lets try and keep this dignified and work with what we have. Otherwise the slanging matches will continued indefinitely and no-one is benefiting in any way.

Colin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:21:26 PM by AltySupporter »

Jimmy

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »

You can't speak to a man who feels he is unaccountable for anything

Jezza

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »

I agree with alty supporter......The 29 were organised and respectful.....I think they should accept the offer of a meeting and as many of that 29 attend with an agenda of points for grahame to respond to.......I'm sure they would then give respectful and accurate feedback.

Think it's the right thing to do...

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »

It's more than 29 tho. If he wants to be open and transparent he should hold an open meeting

Jimmy

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »

Indeed the figure of 29 is ridiculous,even if he was running the club well there would be as many as 29 fed up with something

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:50 PM »

Hi JTH,

I wasn't suggesting that your question was pre-planned but I think the possibility that someone would raise the issue was high and therefore the board ought to have recognised it and probably agreed in advance how the situation might be handled.

Maybe Ian Watmore acted under instruction or unilaterally but I agree it does amount to censorship.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »

Hi JTH,

I wasn't suggesting that your question was pre-planned but I think the possibility that someone would raise the issue was high and therefore the board ought to have recognised it and probably agreed in advance how the situation might be handled.

Maybe Ian Watmore acted under instruction or unilaterally but I agree it does amount to censorship.

Disastrous managerial appointments apart, it does happen (3 in a row mind is pushing it), the above is what has finished it for me. That and the unfounded accusations in the national press, for which GR has never taken ownership, let alone apologised for. The strategic review appears on the face of it to have been a completely ineffectual cosmetic exercise (and carried out by a family friend at that, how impartial). The club needs to make a statement about the Twitter episode. I'm afraid your argument on that one just doesn't add up as more was said about the protest both on Radio Robins and from John Laidler with his website updates and yet they were not sanctioned (nor should they have been). Again, on the face of it, this appears to have been done because those involved supported the action and not because of what was tweeted. The silence from the Club is deafening. The PR is right up there with the worst I've ever come across, naive at best.

Enough is enough.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robins Review: Tuesday, 21st March 2017