Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 My way of Protesting at the way the Club is being run.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My way of Protesting at the way the Club is being run.  (Read 7945 times)

Spring

« on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »

THIS IS A SPOOF MESSAGE AND INTENDED TO TRY AND BRING A BIT OF LEVITY TO PROCEEDINGS IN WHAT IS A SAD TIME FOR THE FOOTBALL CLUB  WE SUPPORT.
WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT WE PROTEST IN OUR OWN WAY AND ALL IS SAID WITH TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK.

Hello to fans of our wonderful football club and to put you at ease please feel free to call me ‘Mr Chairman’, as that makes me feel important. Firstly, I want to quash any worrying rumours that I intend to resign due to the club under-performing. What utter nonsense, for as we all know it is purely a case that the club has previously over performed, as was so eloquently explained in a recent programme article.  I do not intend to resign from leading the football club …..I nearly said ‘our’ football club but that might have been a tad misleading …….and I am going to continue to run it ‘my way’, for as one pundit once said ‘why change a winning formula?

For some reason, any real opposition I have had to contend with on the Board seems to have disappeared and I would like to make it clear that it was the recent strategic review and not I, who said ’the Board lacks structure, perceives itself to be weak and divided, and most others have lost confidence in the Board as a collective’.  My role will be to continue to inspire them with my leadership.

So let’s quickly move on to look at the footballing facts. Within three years you fans will have been treated to football in three different leagues, with the added bonus that travelling  costs to away matches have been considerably reduced. Another example, of the way financial prudence is a feature of our club. For a reputable publication, to say that we are the most unsuccessful team in English soccer under my chairmanship is something that I refuse to comment upon. I am aware that some protestors at my chairmanship walked out of a recent match but these were a small minority of under 25 people in a crowd estimated to be up to 10,000 strong, although exact figures are as yet unconfirmed. On the subject of protest you may feel it strange that I have not seen fit to comment on ‘unknown’ hands taking control of the club Twitter account or allegations that microphones were wrenched away from critical supporters at a public meeting.

So let’s quickly move on again, to another topic; examples of the club’s benevolent community spirit. To date our club has felt it prudent to offer employment to a whole series of managers and through them to a huge number of players, many of whom may otherwise have been unemployed. To date over 50 different players have been provided with employment and have taken to the field in our colours this season and they have already won two league matches. As Brexit is not yet upon us, they even included one from the European Community, who allegedly couldn’t communicate with anybody….......  certainly not a problem under my watch! 

Finally, I want you to feel re-assured that all is fine; my leadership will continue, the Board will continue and under my guidance will comment more positively about itself at the next Strategic Review and green shoots will continue to be seen popping up everywhere. On our  present path it is even possible that we will have more people employed as footballers, than actually come to watch them? This will ensure a huge saving on ground staff and be reflected in our economic progress, which as we all know, is the envy of other non-league teams, even those in a lot higher divisions.

I thing that deserves a little tune….’I did it My Way’

Best regards

The Chairman

taxi Phil

Re: My way of Protesting at the way the Club is being run.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »

Are you sure this is tongue in cheek, and not the script for his next PR "triumph" ?

York Alty is back

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:50:36 PM »

I'm no ideas man for this kind of a thing.

What happens next?

Do we few going to BPA hold a demo? 

What DO we do next?

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »

I don't think we should do anything at away venues.

York Alty is back

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »

I don't think we should do anything at away venues.

Tend to agree. At this stage anyway.

Spring

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:54:02 PM »

York Alty asks a good question and I suppose the starting point always has to be what is the objective ?.......to which I believe the answer is to restore the fortunes of Altrincham FC after three years of relegation and decline?

Inevitably in determining  the best way to do that there is a lot of emotion, accusations, counter accusations and issues that cloud the issues.

After saying that the crucial question for the supporters that remain concerned and feel that they need to try and influence events, rather than remain passive, is whether or not they have faith in the current leadership to restore our fortunes.  The current poll on this forum shows a resounding vote against but this is clearly not representative of supporters in general which I suppose may number around 1000.

If the view is that the current regime do not have the abilities to restore our fortunes then the objective switches to how to oust them, when clearly for whatever reasons the chairman refuses to budge. However it has to be said, that supporters are inevitably playing with fire and the future of the club by wanting to do this, as nobody knows the alternative or the financial implications of the current board being ousted. It could lead to the end of the club or it could lead to a new chairman and a new board making a great success of the club.

As has been rightly pointed out, I am in an ivory tower 200 miles away and although a passionate Robins fan from afar, I do not know the facts and indeed started of fully supporting the chairman until I heard the other side and became negative at some of the goings on related to the strategic review meeting, Twittergate and the disturbing content of the strategic review itself with revelations about a split board. However I also get the feeling that most people equally do not know the whole facts and my view for what it is worth (probably not a lot) is that the next step is that a representative group of supporters chosen from the 25 group (probably no more than 4 or 5 ) should take up the chairman's invitation to meet him. They should canvas around the whole group to determine the questions that they want answered and go to the meeting with the total intention of having an open and civilised discussion. If too many people go the meeting will lack focus and candour. Equally it is important that the people that attend go with the right approach and are open minded as to what is discussed.

The objective of the meeting should be to find out information in order for the supporter representatives to recommend once and for all,  whether or not they have faith with the current leadership, once they are given all the facts (and if they are not treated to these, then the answer is obvious)  or whether they decide to recommend they definitely have to oust the leadership and risk the consequences of the turmoil that might follow. At the meeting it is vital that confidences are maintained and if for example some information is agreed before hand to remain in the meeting, then that must be the case........the supporters would need to trust their representatives.

If you are optimistic such a meeting could be a watershed, it could begin to heal splits and lead to a supporter on the board and a more open regime ........if one is pessimistic, then one believes such a meeting would be a waste of time, a tissue of lie or that relevant facts would remain hidden. I just believe in the best interest of the club, it is worth going through this stage and it is worth giving the chairman the courtesy of attending the meeting he has offered.

Other views of people with more knowledge are obviously more relevant but it is vital that any next steps are CONSIDERED and not just a knee jerk, as the very future of 'our' club is at stake........for good or for bad. You asked for a view, so please don't slate me for saying what I think.

itbegan

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »

Great post Spring, I didn't walk out the other Saturday as it isn't my bag, but feel a sit down open meeting is as good a next step as any.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »

I take issue with ivory tower. Someone who does not live locally to the ground may actually have it worse.

Robbie Lawton made the point he can punch a wall or bollock them.

Fans on terraces can't do much other that protest.

What can exiles do? They can't boycott, etc
It's all my fault.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »

I think that as the meeting has been offered, it should obviously take place as soon as possible, and certainly before any further action is contemplated. 4-5 is a sensible number of delegates. The main thing that needs to be addressed is the communication issue - and particularly the Twittergate saga, which demands a full and public apology. It alienates me as a committed non-user of social media, so heaven knows how many others have been similarly disgusted.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »

Totally agree Romeo48.
Full time and proud of it

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »

The problem is there's been meetings, all these points have been raised before and summarily dismissed. Nothing in the slightest has changed. There is now no credit or trust left in the bank.

Amidst all of it the only truth lies out there in front of us on the pitch.

It doesn't lie.

If Grahame wants a meeting but none the less fully intends to stay on then there is no point in a meeting. If his head is in the sand then it's all just lip service at best. Whether he is being badly advised (and I expect better of the board to unequivocally back him, family and friends fair enough but the board have a greater responsibility) or is a bit out of touch or by now cannot envisage life without being chairman I don't know.

He doesn't need to meet people, he needs to sit down on his own, without listening to everyone he's listened to and make an honest assessment.

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

The problem is there's been meetings, all these points have been raised before and summarily dismissed. Nothing in the slightest has changed. There is now no credit or trust left in the bank.

Amidst all of it the only truth lies out there in front of us on the pitch.

It doesn't lie.

If Grahame wants a meeting but none the less fully intends to stay on then there is no point in a meeting. If his head is in the sand then it's all just lip service at best. Whether he is being badly advised (and I expect better of the board to unequivocally back him, family and friends fair enough but the board have a greater responsibility) or is a bit out of touch or by now cannot envisage life without being chairman I don't know.

He doesn't need to meet people, he needs to sit down on his own, without listening to everyone he's listened to and make an honest assessment.
spot on

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:44:06 AM »

Ballers, my first reaction to the request for a meeting was much the same as you and Jimmy's. The problem is, if the chairman is surrounded by people telling him how well he is doing and that our current woes are not his fault, then he will be less inclined to resign.
Meeting a delegation of reasonable fans, allowed to voice reasonable objections to his tenure, may make him think again.
I don't know the man personally, but I can't see what harm a meeting with some of the dissatisfied would do.

York Alty is back

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »

A concerted effort to encourage a boycott of season ticket renewals? Downside is it will hit the club in the pocket, unlike the walkout. The upside is that it a clear method of demonstration opposition to the current Chairman.                                                Perhaps a compromise is to buy them on the deadline day?                                                                 A positive thing would be extol the virtues of Geoff Goodwin in chants and songs.                            I know they may be rubbish ideas but its all I've got.

taxi Phil

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »

Geoff Goodwin is still our biggest shareholder. Does anyone have his ear ? I know he doesn't actively take part in running the club any more, but I seriously doubt that he'd approve of the current state of affairs. Perhaps he might be prepared to mediate ?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team