PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Good News
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Good News  (Read 16160 times)

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Good News
« on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »

Th e job is being advertised - see website

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Good News
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »

The club's basic approach to finding a new manager - inviting people to send in their CVs, like it's a desk job in an accountancy firm - appears unchanged. That way of thinking is old-fashioned and far too passive. We should be targeting specific people, including managers currently in work at other clubs (as the best managers tend to be), rather than relying on who gives the best answer to the question 'what's your biggest fault?'.

As I've mentioned before, one guy I'd be looking at is the manager at Curzon. But he won't be a candidate for the job as things stand because it'd need us to approach him and that won't happen.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »

There's also the issue of whether the board have the expertise to form a sound judgement.

I know it isn't going to happen because he's one of the candidates but I'd like to see Robbie helping to make the right selection.

Ladies Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »

Asking for applications is the normal method throughout football

Also, approaching a manager currently with a Club is a breach of FA rules.

If the guy from Curzon, the guy from Barcelona or the guy from Broadheath Central want to apply then that is their prerogative

An out of work Manager can be approached however

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »

If the guy from Curzon, the guy from Barcelona or the guy from Broadheath Central want to apply then that is their prerogative

But clubs can approach another club to ask permission to speak to their manager, and regularly do.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »

But clubs can approach another club to ask permission to speak to their manager, and regularly do.

MGS 1 AGS 0

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »

We may well do that also, but we certainly would make it public.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »

"Candidates should have recent managerial experience and be prepared to have Matt Doughty installed as their assistant"

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »

"Candidates should have current managerial experience of Altrincham FC and be prepared to accept Robbie Lawton as their assistant" would more accurately reflect my expectations.

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »

Why are interviews being conducted in April? Once again we're going to get the runt of the litter based upon those out of a job at this time of year like evidently happened last season along with the Doughty/Lawton ticket which the chairman appears to be fixed upon.

We've learnt nothing.

What manager worth there salt currently in employment will apply for the job before the season has finished?

I'll be amazed if Doughty doesn't get the gig.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:08:55 PM by Beez »

bighairedmike

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »

Why are interviews being conducted in April? Once again we're going to get the runt of the litter based upon those out of a job at this time of year like evidently happened last season.

We've learnt nothing.

What manager worth there salt currently in employment will apply for the job before the season has finished?

Absolutely nailed it Beez. That was my overriding thought as well. They're "advertising" the position but holding interviews within two weeks. This yet again just shows the ineptitude of the people running the club. It is not acceptable!

We are repeatedly told that the chairman is a good businessman. Any business worth it's salt would either have a very clear image of who they want to be their main manager (as I suspect GR does, but won't say that) or have a robust plan to go out and get the best person available, whilst accepting CVs from all areas.

Interviews should be held 2 weeks after the season finishes in my eyes. Managers in jobs at the moment will know where they stand by then, and we should have had enough time to approach people on our radar and their clubs. It also gives time for an emotionless appointment. This is just common sense.

As things stand I, and a good deal more fans than myself,  don't trust the current Chairman and board to appoint the right person.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »

Why are interviews being conducted in April? Once again we're going to get the runt of the litter based upon those out of a job at this time of year like evidently happened last season.

We've learnt nothing.

Absolutely nailed it Beez. That was my overriding thought as well. They're "advertising" the position but holding interviews within two weeks. This yet again just shows the ineptitude of the people running the club. It is not acceptable!

We are repeatedly told that the chairman is a good businessman. Any business worth it's salt would either have a very clear image of who they want to be their main manager (as I suspect GR does, but won't say that) or have a robust plan to go out and get the best person available, whilst accepting CVs from all areas.

Interviews should be held 2 weeks after the season finishes in my eyes. Managers in jobs at the moment will know where they stand by then, and we should have had enough time to approach people on our radar and their clubs. It also gives time for an emotionless appointment. This is just common sense.

As things stand I, and a good deal more fans than myself,  don't trust the current Chairman and board to appoint the right person.

Indeed. Unless I have misread/misunderstood the statement, why are we conducting mid-season interviews so close to the end of the season?

What this means is that we have essentially excluded any manager currently managing at a top 8 (ish) club in any division from applying. Even if they wanted our managers job, they wouldn't be going for job interviews during a title challenge or a play off push.

We did exactly the same last season and ended up with Neil Young (although at least we are advertising the job this time). Have we learned nothing?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »

The problem is this approach only leads you to the out of work or the chancers.

I'd be much more happy if we were headhunting or indeed if there were specific qualities asked for in the announcement.

I never know exactly what it is we look for in a manager, and I mean Christ there's zero accountability at the club so we can't with a straight face set targets to be achieved.

The big worry is the questions we ask and the answers we get. Does confidence the candidate shows he could do well with a small budget carry greater weight than one who suggests that they can definitely bring success with a bigger budget who knows?

It would be interesting if we advertised in the NLP, the FLP, 'MEN or some daily newspapers what exactly we market the club and the post as.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »

Unfortunately I can only see one outcome and that's Doughty and Lawton being given the job after 'interviews'. The chairman again makes reference to the 'upturn in performances and improved results' under the pair in the statement which is a massive clue as is the story underneath the statement which tells us that the current 'temporary' manager is trying to negotiate a deal for Elliot Newby to stay with the club permanently. If I'm wrong and we appoint from outside the club then there are a few candidates that could be a good option,providing they apply obviously!! If we go for experience there's......

Steve Bower and Danny Boshell  BPA
John Flanagan    Curzon Ashton
John Deacy and Neil Parsley   Farsley
Carl MaCauley   Witton

or maybe an up and coming manager.....

Tom Baker    Trafford
Phil Parkinson   Nantwich
Simon Haworth   Clitheroe
Chris Wilcock    Glossop

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »

Dennis Greene
David Flitcroft
Steve Davies
Warren Joyce
Gary Brabin
Micky Adams

Are northwest based and out of work but evostick probably wouldn't be entertained by any apart from
Maybe one or two. That said it's an attractive job in terms of club size to the league it'll be competing in and a decent budget
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Good News