PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who would you keep? [POLL]

Poll

We Are Asking: Who gets in to your squad for next season?

Tim Deasy
- 7 (1.2%)
Stuart Tomlinson
- 24 (4.2%)
Andrew Jones
- 3 (0.5%)
Chris Lynch
- 45 (7.8%)
Sam Patterson
- 25 (4.3%)
Shaun Densmore
- 18 (3.1%)
Andrew McWilliams
- 18 (3.1%)
Kyle Brownhill
- 19 (3.3%)
Harry Cain
- 34 (5.9%)
Tom Hannigan
- 20 (3.5%)
John Cyrus
- 30 (5.2%)
Sam Heathcote
- 26 (4.5%)
Clayton McDonald
- 0 (0%)
Sean Miller
- 55 (9.6%)
Nicky Clee
- 50 (8.7%)
Jake Moult
- 38 (6.6%)
Simon Richman
- 42 (7.3%)
Alan Goodall
- 1 (0.2%)
Gary Jones
- 23 (4%)
Laurence Taylor
- 34 (5.9%)
Damian Reeves
- 15 (2.6%)
Craig Hobson
- 5 (0.9%)
Andy Owens
- 5 (0.9%)
James Lawrie
- 21 (3.7%)
Micah Evans
- 4 (0.7%)
Darius Palma
- 13 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: March 29, 2017, 10:29:19 AM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who would you keep? [POLL]  (Read 7001 times)

andrewflynn

« on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »

Contracted players have been included as many disagree with the decision to keep some of them on, hopefully we can see if that's represented in the poll. Vote for as many, or as little of them as you wish.

York Alty is back

Re: Who would you keep? [POLL]
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

Who the feck is Darius Palma?

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »

Youth teamer who is capable enough by all accounts to be useful in the Glue League.

I'd forgotten we still had Clayton McDonald. But then he is pretty forgettable (unless you're Ched Evans).

York Alty is back

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

Youth teamer who is capable enough by all accounts to be useful in the Glue League.

I'd forgotten we still had Clayton McDonald. But then he is pretty forgettable (unless you're Ched Evans).

Ah yes, I may be making it up but I think he played in the Youth FA Cup games covered by RR.

Apologies to Darius. I apportion  no blame to our youth players for this seasons farce.  Keep him on.

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »

Large parts of this squad could be revitalised under new management and a fresh challenge next season. I don't think we necessarily need to learn from Neil Young's mistakes, because with the exception of Scott Leather he was completely right to get rid of who he did, Young's problem was that he provided substandard replacements. That being said, we should be looking to retain a core of around 8-10 players from this season's squad.

I'd like to think that some of these lads want to put the situation right, and so they will stay on with a point to prove under (hopefully) new management next season. I disagreed with much of what Graham Heathcote had to say at the Strategic Review meeting because it was clearly a plea to be kept on - but he was right when he said that some of this squad are not bad players. Plus, keeping a nucleus to build on provides management an easier recruitment task in the summer. It is imperative that we find a goalkeeper, for example. That will be much easier to do if you aren't also focusing your efforts on two new strikers, two new central midfielders, three defenders. You get my point.

Goalkeepers: 0. Deasy is poor, I question Tomlinson's commitment to the cause and Jones shouldn't be near the bench (fine as a third choice.)

Defence: I picked Chris Lynch (starting right back), John Cyrus (starting centre back) and then Sam Patterson, Sam Heathcote, Kyle Brownhill and Harry Cain. Patterson and Brownhill can play in multiple positions, its not long since Heathcote was starting and holding his own in National League fixtures and Harry Cain could be an asset at that level. Four young lads who are still progressing.

Midfield: Sean Miller is a no-brainer for me (starting right winger) along with Jake Moult, Simon Richman and Laurence Taylor. I've pretty much hated the sight of Moult all season but after consideration I think he should be afforded the chance to once again prove his worth to the club, him and Richman have been playing together for years now and you would be silly to break that up as we drop in playing standard. Laurence Taylor has bags of potential. No Nicky Clee for me, I think someone referred to him as an 'ageing luxury' a couple of days ago? A tough one and the reasons for keeping him are obvious, but for what I'd imagine he's earning we could bring in two players fit for that level.

Forwards: James Lawrie, gulp, and Andy Owens (don't laugh.) It is mad to think Lawrie is only 26, feels like he's been here for a decade. His positives and negatives have been talked to death at this stage but I don't know why you would want to let a player like that go as he reaches his peak dropping into a poorer standard of football.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »

I'd bin both Owens and Lawrie off as neither will be on peanuts and bring in 2 goal scorers. I think Clee would be excellent at left back which is a position we need to fill as neither McWilliams or Brownhill are good enough there IMO. Saying that though Brownhill is worth keeping because he's quite versatile and can fill in a number of positions.

andrewflynn

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »

I'd bin both Owens and Lawrie off as neither will be on peanuts and bring in 2 goal scorers. I think Clee would be excellent at left back which is a position we need to fill as neither McWilliams or Brownhill are good enough there IMO. Saying that though Brownhill is worth keeping because he's quite versatile and can fill in a number of positions.

Keping Clee on as a left back is a good call.

York Alty is back

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »

I would keep McWilliams. Nicky will be kicked all over the place next year. Jury still out on him, not for his abilities but because of the level we are now at.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »

Amending Fabio's first post to fall in line with the one below it, I pretty well concur with the net result - though I've already said that we may struggle to keep Moult and Richman.

James Lawrie is an absolute no-no for me. The further down the pyramid we slide, the more we need workhorses, not show ponies.

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »

I would keep McWilliams. Nicky will be kicked all over the place next year. Jury still out on him, not for his abilities but because of the level we are now at.

McWilliams is trash: https://youtu.be/9gxZ9fgx43s?t=8m50s

York Alty is back

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »

Painful.

andrewflynn

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »

Painful.

Absolutely terrible. Said it all year, our best left back this season has been that young Josh Doherty.

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

Apparently McWilliams repeatedly failed to play to instructions. We can't afford mavericks.

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »

Large parts of this squad could be revitalised under new management and a fresh challenge next season. I don't think we necessarily need to learn from Neil Young's mistakes, because with the exception of Scott Leather he was completely right to get rid of who he did, Young's problem was that he provided substandard replacements. That being said, we should be looking to retain a core of around 8-10 players from this season's squad.

I'd like to think that some of these lads want to put the situation right, and so they will stay on with a point to prove under (hopefully) new management next season. I disagreed with much of what Graham Heathcote had to say at the Strategic Review meeting because it was clearly a plea to be kept on - but he was right when he said that some of this squad are not bad players. Plus, keeping a nucleus to build on provides management an easier recruitment task in the summer. It is imperative that we find a goalkeeper, for example. That will be much easier to do if you aren't also focusing your efforts on two new strikers, two new central midfielders, three defenders. You get my point.

Goalkeepers: 0. Deasy is poor, I question Tomlinson's commitment to the cause and Jones shouldn't be near the bench (fine as a third choice.)

Defence: I picked Chris Lynch (starting right back), John Cyrus (starting centre back) and then Sam Patterson, Sam Heathcote, Kyle Brownhill and Harry Cain. Patterson and Brownhill can play in multiple positions, its not long since Heathcote was starting and holding his own in National League fixtures and Harry Cain could be an asset at that level. Four young lads who are still progressing.

Midfield: Sean Miller is a no-brainer for me (starting right winger) along with Jake Moult, Simon Richman and Laurence Taylor. I've pretty much hated the sight of Moult all season but after consideration I think he should be afforded the chance to once again prove his worth to the club, him and Richman have been playing together for years now and you would be silly to break that up as we drop in playing standard. Laurence Taylor has bags of potential. No Nicky Clee for me, I think someone referred to him as an 'ageing luxury' a couple of days ago? A tough one and the reasons for keeping him are obvious, but for what I'd imagine he's earning we could bring in two players fit for that level.

Forwards: James Lawrie, gulp, and Andy Owens (don't laugh.) It is mad to think Lawrie is only 26, feels like he's been here for a decade. His positives and negatives have been talked to death at this stage but I don't know why you would want to let a player like that go as he reaches his peak dropping into a poorer standard of football.
im no longer interested what they do but you make a good point  in the first paragraph for all the heckling of Young Leather was the only one he should've kept.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »

I don't know who half of these players are.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team