PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Idiots guide to northern premier league football
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Idiots guide to northern premier league football  (Read 47185 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Idiots guide to northern premier league football
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »

Good results tonight to be fair.

We keep Nantwich as a local day out and Witton now one game away from joining us. Spennymoor to do Stourbridge please on the weekend and that'll do me.

Had no idea that Spennymoor were big spenders this year (until just told).  

My only memory of Spennymoor away was there being more people in the social club than at the match the last time I went as I think Newcastle were on the dodgy satellite.

My basis was more on the selfish 'What's an easier and better day out from London' a contest which Stourbridge would win hands down but yes Spennymoor having a few quid is another reason to want them out of the way for next season.

taxi Phil

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »

Let's hope Witton beat Spalding. That's a really crap journey.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »

Altrincham
Ashton United
Barwell
Buxton
Coalville
farsley/ossett Town
Gainsborough
Grantham
Lancaster
Halesowen
Hednesford
Marine
Matlock
Mickleover
Nantwich
Rushall
Stafford
stalybridge
Shaw Lane
Spennymoor/Stourbridge
Sutton Coldfield
Warrington
Witton/Spalding
Whitby Town
Workington

Saturday

Spennymoor v Stourbridge

Witton v Spalding

Farsley v Ossett Town

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2017, 10:22:47 PM »

Let's hope Witton beat Spalding. That's a really crap journey.

Witton will be the home side and took 4 points off them this season so odds on for our first league games against them for donkeys next season. To be fair that wouldn't be a terrible Christmas derby if it transpired.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »

We keep Nantwich as a local day out and Witton now one game away from joining us. Spennymoor to do Stourbridge please on the weekend and that'll do me.

My only memory of Spennymoor away was there being more people in the social club than at the match the last time I went as I think Newcastle were on the dodgy satellite.

Did we beat them 4-0 that year? That was Spennymoor United who folded mid-season a few years later, and then Evenwood Town of the Northern League moved into the vacant ground and steadily rose up through the leagues, seemingly with some money behind them, after changing their name to SpennymoorTown.

GB Alty

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »

I'm sure we're going to get a warm reception in Nantwich next season :o

Fond memories of a Tuesday afternoon in the bowling green and the boot & shoe
thats before we stole their manager and their promotion hopes went to sh*t because of it

markecky2

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »

Did we beat them 4-0 that year? That was Spennymoor United who folded mid-season a few years later, and then Evenwood Town of the Northern League moved into the vacant ground and steadily rose up through the leagues, seemingly with some money behind them, after changing their name to SpennymoorTown.

Crikey, I knew less about Spennymoor than I thought I did.  Thanks for the update.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 12:51:20 AM »

Crikey, I knew less about Spennymoor than I thought I did.  Thanks for the update.

Spennymoor going bust helped me win about £250 that season. When I had Southport(conference nth) and Hyde(NPL) to win their divisions. It paid for my season ticket for the following season.
They really should be beating teams like us

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »

thats before we stole their manager and their promotion hopes went to sh*t because of it

Good. About time we stopped being so nice and started being ruthless to get success. They lost, shows he's influential, good start.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »

Good. About time we stopped being so nice and started being ruthless to get success. They lost, shows he's influential, good start.

I'd agree with you to an extent. And we certainly haven't "stolen" their manager.
But there's a big difference between being ruthless for success, and getting yourself into a position (however it has happened) where our ex-manager is the one informing the Nantwich players and his mates are the ones making the public announcement for us on social media - ahead of Nantwich's play off game at Spennymoor.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:35 AM »

I'd agree with you to an extent. And we certainly haven't "stolen" their manager.
But there's a big difference between being ruthless for success, and getting yourself into a position (however it has happened) where our ex-manager is the one informing the Nantwich players and his mates are the ones making the public announcement for us on social media - ahead of Nantwich's play off game at Spennymoor.

But how does Matt D know?

Have the club told him? Was he aware from those in NL/the club who else applied?

Do the players knows and it's been passed on that way.

Has Parkinson let it slip to his contacts?

It's all my fault.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »

MD is club staff and should behave himself a bit better. If he cant see the perfectly sound reasoning to give someone else the job then he's got his head in the sand and clearly wet behind the ears. He's had more than a fair chance to keep us in the league and if his record continues like this he's going to be feeling let down by his employers quite a lot if anyone gives him a job.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »

But there's a big difference between being ruthless for success, and getting yourself into a position (however it has happened) where our ex-manager is the one informing the Nantwich players and his mates are the ones making the public announcement for us on social media - ahead of Nantwich's play off game at Spennymoor

All of this. AFC's Board advertised the job and people applied for it. As such, it's at their discretion when they make the appointment, inform the applicants of the decision and then make it public. Looks to me like the Board were looking to get someone in as close to the end of the season as possible to enable any new manager to make offers to players quickly. As it's 99% certain it is Phil Parkinson I'm presuming the Board were waiting on the results of Nantwich's play off campaign before making any public announcements.

In the meantime and in my view correctly, they informed MD and RL they were unsuccessful. I think we'd all agree it would be unfair to ask them to hang on for a fortnight not knowing.  Almost inevitably the NW non league grapevine has leaked the news, but however he found out, MD's subsequent actions have done little to enhance his reputation which I doubt will have gone unnoticed by the boards of other clubs.   

York Alty is back

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

Or...

The man is willing to leave when a perceived bigger club flutters its eyelids. So this time next year when we're on the cusp of going up, Oldham have a word / come knocking and off he goes leaving us to screw up and fail to go up.

Just playing devils advocate here.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »

All right, yeah let's not take a manager from another club ever again. And let's never sign players from other clubs either. Jesus Christ...
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Idiots guide to northern premier league football