PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jake Moult staying
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Jake Moult staying  (Read 24091 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Jake Moult staying
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

I would think we'll know.who of the current crop are staying by the end of the week
Full time and proud of it

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »

I'd take Gary Jones too, but for one reason or another I think it's unlikely.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »

I think Jonah wanted his first proper player-coaching gig, which isn't going to happen at Alty now with the new appointment.

I can't believe some people don't think retaining Moult is fantastic news. These are the same people that were shouting 'good riddance' to the likes of Leather and Sinnott leaving last summer.

You can't possibly succeed by clearing the decks and starting from scratch - with the lottery of signing non-league players you simply give yourself too much to do.

Why is that so bloody hard for most of our fans to see?! FFS it's like last season never happened!  :D

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »

Last summer, we simply released and retained the wrong players. Scott should have been a priority and many people said that at the time. This summer, you'd be hard pressed to make an argument for many of the lads staying. That's not a knee jerk reaction by the way - we've simply watched them perform week in week out. For instance, if anyone believes Lawrie and Evans can spearhead us to promotion from Evostik, they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »

We released too bloody many, full stop - we made our task impossible.

Most of this lot - under the right management - will look like new players in the Evo-Stik.

York Alty is back

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »

Most of this lot - under the right management - will look like new players in the Evo-Stik.

That must include a huge psychological repair job. Far too many of the current squad were too happy to do feck all last season. Too many rolled over. Too many no shows.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »

I imagine a lot of them will start enjoying their football again if they start winning. Fingers crossed for a good start  :-\

York Alty is back

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »

I imagine a lot of them will start enjoying their football again if they start winning. Fingers crossed for a good start  :-\
[/quo
Bang on about the good start. Two defeats and draw from the first three risks the downward spiral continuing.  Sod knows what we do then.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »

Ignoring for a moment the fact that every relegated side loses players that they would prefer to keep, what you are saying might have been a more reasonable argument last summer when we had been relegated needlessly (on the final day of the season) with a side that should have been capable of staying up. That is a completely different scenario from us now considering a group of players who finished a country mile from safety, and haven’t looked in any danger of staying up since the first week of the season. Keeping too many on for next season would be akin to writing off the season three months before it starts.

On Jake, I think there are similarities between Jake Moult staying and the decision as to whether we fought to keep Scott Leather last summer (not that we had much say over offers being made by Chorley of course). Both coming on the back of a very poor season personally, and a decision based wholly on previous ability rather than current form. Regardless of whether we should have tried harder to keep him or not, I’ve always thought that Scott made the right decision to leave for his own career, and I am a little surprised that Jake hasn’t thought the same. That said, if Parkinson can get anywhere near the best out of him next season then I’d be very surprised if there is a better midfielder in the country playing as low as the Evostick league. So it’s potentially “fantastic news”, but let’s not get too carried away just yet.

taxi Phil

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »

A big part of the problem last season wasn't who stayed or went (apart from Scott in fairness) but the rank bad signings made by NY. Those who stayed recognised very early that we were in deep sh*t, and heads dropped.

I still reckon the biggest downer for many of the squad was the realisation that we had two goalkeepers who couldn't have caught the clap in a backstreet brothel. Would any of you want to start a game with a goalie practically guaranteed to let in a minimum two goals a game,  at least one of which would be 100% his fault ? I see Tom Denton's gift goal at Halifax in my nightmares.

York Alty is back

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »

A big part of the problem last season wasn't who stayed or went (apart from Scott in fairness) but the rank bad signings made by NY. Those who stayed recognised very early that we were in deep sh*t, and heads dropped.

I still reckon the biggest downer for many of the squad was the realisation that we had two goalkeepers who couldn't have caught the clap in a backstreet brothel. Would any of you want to start a game with a goalie practically guaranteed to let in a minimum two goals a game,  at least one of which would be 100% his fault ? I see Tom Denton's gift goal at Halifax in my nightmares.

Can only agree that the keeping fiasco was a  major contribution.   Back we go to the seemingly never ending search for somebody worthy of following the Legendary Stuart Coburn. How damn lucky we were to have him in goal.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »

Ignoring for a moment the fact that every relegated side loses players that they would prefer to keep, what you are saying might have been a more reasonable argument last summer when we had been relegated needlessly (on the final day of the season) with a side that should have been capable of staying up. That is a completely different scenario from us now considering a group of players who finished a country mile from safety, and haven’t looked in any danger of staying up since the first week of the season. Keeping too many on for next season would be akin to writing off the season three months before it starts.

On Jake, I think there are similarities between Jake Moult staying and the decision as to whether we fought to keep Scott Leather last summer (not that we had much say over offers being made by Chorley of course). Both coming on the back of a very poor season personally, and a decision based wholly on previous ability rather than current form. Regardless of whether we should have tried harder to keep him or not, I’ve always thought that Scott made the right decision to leave for his own career, and I am a little surprised that Jake hasn’t thought the same. That said, if Parkinson can get anywhere near the best out of him next season then I’d be very surprised if there is a better midfielder in the country playing as low as the Evostick league. So it’s potentially “fantastic news”, but let’s not get too carried away just yet.

Exactly. Saying 'we should learn the lesson from last season' implies that our position now is comparable to that of twelve months ago when it really isn't. Last year, we did have a core group of players who had achieved some success for us previously and had been together for quite a while and I did feel we should have kept a few more of them. The majority of the players we have now have been here for a season or less, have never looked remotely like achieving anything and know only abject failure in an Alty shirt. There is no value in keeping more than a handful of them.

I also agree that if I were Moult, I'd have moved on: that seems to have been the right decision a year ago for Leather, Sinnott, Havern etc and I suspect it would be the best thing for Richman, Moult, Lawrie etc now. A new club would enable them to put what's just happened behind them more easily. Moult in particular looked like he was trapped in a nightmare for most of last season (we know the feeling) and I worry that he will carry the burden of the failure of the last two seasons into the next one. A Jake Moult back to his best would be a huge asset but a Jake Moult who continues to be weighed down by negativity and despair would not.

Jimmy

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »

Apart from Leather who got a better offer anyway and Sinnott who probably also has a better offer who else was there to keep?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »

Havern over Cyrus and Hannigan. Easily.

(and obviously Rankine over any one of the numerous lumps we played up front, but I believe he was offered and always wanted to stay in the National League...?)

Jimmy

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »

This is abit of hindsight Havern was poor all season and yes maybe above them 2 but he hasn't done well at Telford and like you say Rankine was never staying and even is some were good enough why would you keep a player who stopped trying which Havern was
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:42:00 PM by Jimmy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jake Moult staying