PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poole & Harrison sign
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Poole & Harrison sign  (Read 14110 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Poole & Harrison sign
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »

Poole a superb signing for this level

Altrincham's Press and Media Officer John Edwards writes, "Altrincham manager Phil Parkinson has pulled off a major coup for next season by beating a host of clubs to the signature of James Poole and making the Salford City frontrunner one of three new arrivals in as many days.

The recently-appointed Alty boss has wasted no time stamping his mark on the club's fortunes by snapping up winger John Johnston from Salford and following up with the capture of Poole and Nantwich's cultured centre-back Ben Harrison.

Johnston has already outlined his eagerness to team up again with Parkinson, following a loan spell at Nantwich, while Harrison has been backed to become a firm favourite with Alty followers for his commanding presence and ability to bring the ball out of defence.

But it is the acquisition of Poole that is most likely to take the eye after the 27-year old one-time Manchester City Academy prospect spearheaded Salford's rise into the Vanarama National League North just over 12 months ago.

Describing how decisive action from Parkinson pointed him towards The J.Davidson Stadium, Poole told Alty's club website, 'The manager got in touch with me as soon as it was announced I was leaving Salford and made me feel really, really wanted here, and that went a long way towards making my mind up.

'He told me his plans for the club, what his expectations were, what he thought of me as a player and where I would fit into the overall team pattern, and to hear him say all that was really nice. It played a huge part in me becoming an Altrincham player.

'He seemed to know my game inside out, which a lot of managers at this level wouldn't have at their fingertips. He knew all my strengths and what formation would best suit my game, and he told me exactly how I would fit in and what he would expect of me.

'It wasn't a difficult decision, because his football philosophy is completely in line with mine. The confidence he has in himself as a manager, and in the way he sets his team up, was just as impressive. It was great to hear someone backing himself like he clearly does.

'It's fair to say my phone has been busy since the announcement about leaving Salford. Quite a few people have made enquiries, and there have been offers, but absolutely no-one showed the level of interest or desire to get me to their club as the Altrincham manager did.

'His vision for the club and the team and stressing how much he wanted me to be part of it was the reason I'm here now. It means the world to me to have that level of faith placed in me.

'I like to see myself as a proper footballer. Technique is probably a strength in my game. That and being creative, getting the best out of other players around me, particularly within the framework of a style of play that suits me. I had one season in the Evo-Stik with Salford, and we got promoted and had an FA Cup run, so the same again next season would do nicely.

'I'll be aiming for goals and assists, and I'm confident I can do that and contribute to a successful season for Altrincham.'

Poole was part of the City side that beat Chelsea to win the 2007-08 FA Youth Cup, and he went on to make nearly 100 appearances for Hartlepool before having a brief spell at Bury and joining Salford in September, 2015.

Warrington-born 26-year old Harrison underlined his growing reputation as a ball-playing centre-back with a remarkable solo goal in the FA Cup against Stourbridge last season, sidestepping two challenges before rifling a shot into the top corner. It was voted Nantwich's goal of the season and can be viewed on here

'Ben is a sought-after footballing centre-half, and we have fought off stiff opposition to bring him to Altrincham,' said Parkinson. 'I'm delighted he has chosen to join us, and I'm confident he will become a firm favourite with the fans. That goal against Stourbridge was something special, well worth a look. Our fans will love it, and I'm confident they will take to him in a big way.'"

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Poole & Harrison sign
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »

Very happy with this!

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:41:10 PM »

Yes, had a feeling James Poole might sign. Didn't see Ben Harrison coming though - thought he'd end up in the Conference National at least!!!
It's safe to say, we mean business.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »

If we can follow this up with the news we've released Owens,Hobson,Evans and McDonald I might start getting optimistic!

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:40 PM »

Two excellent signings.

Getting a bit of a buzz
Full time and proud of it

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »

If we can follow this up with the news we've released Owens,Hobson,Evans and McDonald I might start getting optimistic!

Any views on Heathcote ,McWilliams and Lawrie?
Full time and proud of it

markecky2

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »

Welcome Ben and James.

Look like excellent signings but I'm also very encouraged by Pooles comments about Parky.  

He had no need to say all that but to hear that we have a manager who is clued up and done his research is very reassuring.  Should be a given I know but the last barmpots have left me a bit scarred.

Keep it up.

York Alty is back

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:55:16 PM »

Too many false dawns in the last eighteen months for me to get worked up about signings. I want to see wins in league games first.

It's not these lads fault, or Parkinson's. The fault lies elsewhere

Come on Alty.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:00:10 PM »

Heathcote would be a decent squad player,McWilliams I meant to include in the players I hope get released and Lawrie just will get a new deal whatever I hope for as he must have some juicy info about Rowley that keeps guarenteeing him new deals every season.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »

Can all go for me, not good enough

Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »

Not seen McWilliams because iv stopped going because of Rowley,Heathcote and Lawrie should go

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:21 PM »

Very happy with this. Nice to see us signing players from Salford. I know you can't make complete judgements on players just off their former clubs, but I feel a lot more optimistic than I did this time last year. Could we finally be about to piss a tinpot league? We can but hope.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »

Those with good memories may recall that, after Witton Albion knocked us out of the FA Cup 0-2 at Moss Lane in October 2011, I said on this forum that we should look at signing their tremendously influential 20 year old centre back and captain.

Almost six years later......welcome Ben !

VofD

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »

Can all go for me, not good enough

THIS

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »

I know I will be in the minority here but..... I think McWilliams could be worth retaining. I'm sure Parky and Sorvil could bring the best out of him...
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poole & Harrison sign