PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wrexham Match Thread  (Read 6742 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »

Don't normally do friendly games and hard to judge players on one game.

I would like to see a fit Richman alongside Taylor and Moult. However probably get away with playing only two centre mids this season.

Will be great at some point to see an attacking line of Miller,Johnston and Poole.

We defo miss Miller, I hope that we can get him back fit and playing.

Positives

Harrison and Jones both composed centre backs with height. Very calm on the ball which was great to watch.

Taylor hardly put a foot wrong and was everywhere. He will be massive for us.

Poole is a very good player but will drift in and out of games. He will do more than Lawrie.

Johnston dangerous going forward.

Negatives

Thompson was terrible at kicking and made me feel nervous. I wasn't impressed but hoping it was an off day.

Johnston needs to learn how to track back and get tighter. He was at fault for the first goal.

Omtolola does not look great.

We didn't look like we were going to score which disappointed me after hearing how attacking we have looked in other games.

Hulme is surely only a number 9.

Not quite sure how you could criticise Johnston for being at fault for the goal and not tracking back when he'd just been dumped on the floor by their fullback, for what should have been a free kick to us. The tackle on him leaving him with the injury that forced him off.

Still kept hold of it for too long and gave the ball away. Still impressed with the kid though.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »

He lost the ball on the half way line. I don't think you can hold him solely responsible.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

I thought Johnson was superb until he was taken out of the game. You may be able to get away with switching off as we did for the first goal in the evostick, however it's something we've got to learn from and eradicate quickly. Marcus Kelly is a good player but they shouldn't have been scoring from that. Wrexham were unrelenting and you could see they were desperate to win after an off day on Saturday. Had amis poked the ball home after about 20 mins it may have killed the head of steam they were building. We limited them chances wise all game, but felt we lost our way a little from johnsons injury

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »

I too thought Johnson looked the pick of the new players until he went off. He's fast, direct and willing to take men on and we haven't had that since Duncan Watmore left. James Poole is obviously a quality player and found some good pockets of space to pick the ball up in to create. Still unsure about the goalkpeeper and left back, but from what i have seen and heard I would start with this team against Stafford.

GK

Densmore
Jones
Harrison
LB

Sheridan
Taylor

Johnson
Poole
Wright

Hulme

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »

I too thought Johnson looked the pick of the new players until he went off. He's fast, direct and willing to take men on and we haven't had that since Duncan Watmore left. James Poole is obviously a quality player and found some good pockets of space to pick the ball up in to create. Still unsure about the goalkpeeper and left back, but from what i have seen and heard I would start with this team against Stafford.

GK

Densmore
Jones
Harrison
LB

Sheridan
Taylor

Johnson
Poole
Wright

Hulme

I think moult will start as will amis
Bernard Taylors barmy army

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »

Short is the best LB was a country mile and I think Disney will start at RB
Full time and proud of it

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »

Agreed

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »

I think this squad is good enough to get us up. Possibly good enough to compete in National North.

Over the next 18 months we will still need to strengthen to have any chance of survival in National Premier, where most teams will present a similar challenge to Wrexham.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »

Agreed

Short is excellent and I should think he'll start. Having said that Brownhill is actually a pretty good player as well. It's nice to have so much quality cover in certain positions
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 12:20:27 PM »

GK

Densmore
Jones
Harrison
LB

Sheridan
Taylor

Johnson
Poole
Wright

Hulme

Sadly James Poole is suspended for the first game following a sending off for Salford near the end of the season.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »

Enjoyed the game last night despite the result, but did feel as the game went on later in 2nd half that we were less and less likely to score. Poole is class, I love the way he shakes off defenders by turning this way and that to keep the ball away from opposing players. I think he will be a key player for us but didn't know he was suspended for the first game, but we have strength in depth now. JJ is also outstanding and the squad has some very good players and are now bonding well. Thought James Jones was good, but his partner last night Ben was superb, spoke to his mum and partner last week! Fine couple.

Wrexham were excellent and will be challenging in the top half of their league this season and that was a good test for us. Found Phil's Q and A fascinating, love these and shows why he is going to be a good manager for us.  Like all the defence we have and am sorry Sam has left, could he not have gone out on loan as he is one for the future? Glad Hannigan is nearly back, great player who we have yet to see the best of.  

All in all there is much to look forward to, but on another day or later in the season we were capable of beating Wrexham and we learnt some useful lessons last night.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »

I thought that too about the second half, its early and the team looks really good, I wonder whether we are missing an out and out striker to be great
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread