News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chequers Club

Author Topic: Chequers Club  (Read 6079 times)

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Chequers Club
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »

I  moved to Altrincham in Dec 2006 and barely recall the Chequers club - has anyone got a link to any photos, inside & out ?

What was it like - what & when was it used ?

Jezza

Re: Chequers Club
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

Actually opened as the red robin club....was open and shut on and off..think the gazelle may just be able to give chapter and verse..

It closed in 1992 when ken mckenna bit the bouncers ear off*

*exagerated folk lore myth

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

Actually opened as the red robin club....was open and shut on and off..think the gazelle may just be able to give chapter and verse..

It closed in 1992 when ken mckenna bit the bouncers ear off*

*exagerated folk lore myth

Reopened as I think Ellingtons or Richmans   ? and remained open until around 94/95 ?

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »

Searched many times for pics

None on the world wide web
ParkINson's red and white army

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »

I seem to remember before the terrace was built at that end blokes with a pint watching the game from the window above the grass bank?  I was only little at the time, am I wrong about that?!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

Plenty of fiendish nights in the rave cave

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 05:37:45 PM »

Plenty of fiendish nights in the rave cave
oh yes

No phones in them days to capture the horror

markecky2

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »

For me Chequers was a dream, a nightclub you could walk home from an knew most of the people in there.  £1 a pint in The Moss until 8:00, fill the table at 7:59.

Wander down at 10:00 and then watch Match of the Day in the TV room whilst the bloke from the Robins Retreat did a bit of moonlighting and did the burgers.

Then when that was finished it was out into the club for a bit of Dreams by Gabrielle and life was good.  Showing off my new shirt from Alty market with a dragon on one side.

Except on bank holiday Sundays, when they had a charity night and the lads from Wythenshawe came down and smoked weed on the raised section at the back.

Got very rough near the end though when it was Ellingtons and Richmans and everyone had grown up and went to town, the residents must have been delighted when it was bulldozed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:55:49 PM by markecky2 »

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »

Certainly served a purpose and had many good nights but was glad our group decided to venger to town eventually

markecky2

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »

Certainly served a purpose and had many good nights but was glad our group decided to venger to town eventually

Definitely Jim, once we had discovered 5th Ave Fridays, 42's on Saturdays then Chequers didn't seem quite so good.  A great training nightclub though.

Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »

Indeed Ecky

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »

I remember when it became Chequers which I think was around 1978-1980 when Alty sold the Red Robins Club. I also drank in Red Robin Club after the Buxton game 06th October 1974, the day after my birthday - Monday night game in those days. I remember seeing Gerry Casey in there drinking a pint of Shandy after the game!

I also went to Chequers many times during the early 80's, indeed some of the players went in after away games. Had many a great night in that club, sad it lay empty for so long but in it's heyday it was a good place to hang out.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:28 PM »

One of the chaps who shall remain nameless tells a great tail about a full 11 a side football match that took place on the moss lane pitch one night after closing time at bed wreckers. no ball and no floodlights, but a full match nonetheless. This tail has been told on national radio before today.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 01:25:41 AM »

Definitely Jim, once we had discovered 5th Ave Fridays, 42's on Saturdays then Chequers didn't seem quite so good.  A great training nightclub though.
im out now in Manchester still representing . Don't hate the player hate the game

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

My late ex-wife and I were regular Saturday nighters at the old Red Robin. I remember winning a good few prizes on the tombola (run by Bernard Taylor), including the Beatles' white album. The cabaret included some decent comics (though Little and Large were dire !)  and the compere was a guy called Colin McGregor who managed Peter Swales's shop in Heald Green. Could hold a tune but had a limited repertoire. I lost count of the number of times we got "On a Wonderful Day Like Today".

One night Johnny Worth and a mate of his shared our table. He must have apologised to us a dozen times for using the "f" word, but he was a nice guy and great company.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chequers Club