PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Radio Robins: Trafford v Altrincham
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Radio Robins: Trafford v Altrincham  (Read 4881 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »

Radio Robins, sponsored by Ashley Mowers Garden Machinery, is providing full live commentary of today's game.

The commentator is Brian Flynn & the match summariser is Dave Stringer.

Coverage starts at 2.55pm with the game kicking off at 3.00pm & you can listen to Radio Robins on the internet at www.radiorobins.com.

markecky2

Re: Radio Robins: Trafford v Altrincham
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »

Just back. Loads of possession but just didn't create anything up until the last five mins.  They closed us down like a cup game (as teams will) and we were not able to do the passing we have in previous games.

They scored from a free header which was poor.  Deasey wasn't really tested apart from that, the back line looked much better when Hannigan came on.

Not great to lose Disney to an over enthusiastic Summerskill challenge, hope he isn't bad.

Pretty frustrating afternoon but credit to Trafford, never gave us a minute and battled for everything.  No lack of effort but we can do much better than that I'm sure.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »

Not enough urgency until the last 10mins.

Need more out of Mould, Sheridan, Hancock, Hulme and Amiss.

Johnson is going to frustrate the life out of me. Rinsed their lb several times only to deliver a poor cross.

Looks like Deasy is the the no1 so a thoroughly depressing day.
Full time and proud of it

andrewflynn

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »

Disney's Instsgram Story shows a swollen ankle with a cut. Not great.

We weren't good enough today, but they'll be well aware of that. Let's see how we react.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »

The main site mentioned a week or so ago that Densmore wouldnt be available for the start of the season, if thats still the case and Disney and Short are injured we could be struggling for full backs next sat.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »

Not great today, but It's all about next Saturday now. John Johnston is going to be good to watch and we definitely miss creativity with James Poole. Much prefer Jordan Hulme as the central striker rather than on the left. Josh Amis put in plenty of effort today, but Peers looked more dangerous in his 10 mins.

markecky2

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »

Amis held it up really well today but there was no one to lay it off to.   Johnson is going to be a great player for us I'm sure, especially at home and I agree about Peers.

Poole is a huge miss for the first game but nowt we can do.

Let's see what happens when the real stuff starts.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:04:11 PM »

Entirely unconvinced about Hulme.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »

Agree re Hulme, he was dreadful today. To make matters worse, every time he lost the ball (which was often ) he resorted to loud verbal abuse of the ref. Was actually quite surprised he didn't get hooked when they made the subs...Phil Parkinson was literally within 10 yards of him on one occasion as he launched a verbal tirade..telling the ref to F off ....yet no action taken.

Yes, the ref was dreadful today ...possibly the worst I have seen...but it was Hulme who couldn't control a simple ball played into him, how the ref was to blame for that is a mystery to me.

I'm hoping today was just a bad day for him, he was lauded as a great signing -- but I've not seen much evidence of his quality up to now.

Man of Moss

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »

Agree, Hulme was dreadful, get a grip and remember it's a team game and spoilt angry little individuals are not going to win the title

mortlakebob

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »

Not posted for a while.
Have enjoyed seeing the last 2 friendlies and i think the club is very lucky to have so many keen loyal supporters trying to do their bit after the last 18 months of woe.
Would like to commend the new manager Phil for clearly working his socks off since he got the job. I do think today was a bit of a reality check. We remember only too well 12 months ago how hard it is to bring in 2/3 of a new team in pre season and try to hit the ground running.
Ive only seen the last 2 friendlies so am a bit limited with my assessment.
I actually think Pp will have learnt more from the first 65 mins today than he has all pre season.
My own headlines from today -
Its not going to be easy to hit the ground running even at the league we are in.
I like the spirit i have seen in the new squad but it felt like last season again when we went one nil down today - just a really obvious lack of belief on the pitch.
Really believe Taylor is quality and can move the ball more quickly than the others in midfield. I know hes young but he looks streets ahead of the others so why not back him and build the midfield around him. Not sure Moult or Sheridan did enough with the ball today.
Think Hannigan looks different class if he can stay fit. So rare at this level to see a centre back who can pass. I think Poole will be a real fans favourite - the whole game changed when he came on today. Will be a big miss for the opener. Think both wide midfielders JJ and Peers will do well. Not sure why the latter didnt start.
Still think theres a bit more coming and going to happen.
Not sure weve sorted out either full back position - sadly think Densmores influence now much reduced.
And we lack a bit of pace up front - hopefully the young lad on loan at rossendale can help sort that out. I just wish i knew we had a 30 goal striker to wipe the floor in this league but i dont think we have that yet.
Full support for PP as he goes about sorting us out. I just think top 5 at xmas is a realistic aim, not runaway leaders by nov.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:44:23 PM »

This was a good post with quite a few pertinent point i.m.o.

I too have only seen the last two friendlies serious concerns on the basis of what I saw whether this season is going to be the 'shoe-in' which a few of those on here think will be the case.

I realise that we are all excited to have a manager and management team which actually knows what the **** they're doing and that's a massive positive; I do like, also, the playing it on the ground philosophy but I'm not sure this is the league to try to do this.

In both games, Winsford especially, we did pass it around ok at times but this only works, it seems to me, when done a lot quicker than our lads seem to be doing - i.e. it needs to be 'pass and run' and finding space otherwise we end up with lots of possession but not getting much of an end result.

We are certainly going to meet teams with  gigantic back fours, speedy big forwards and a hoofball philosophy and I've not seen anything in those two games to suggest that we have the strategies to break that down.

Hope sincerely that I'm wrong!

Sorry to be so depressing  :-\
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

markecky2

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »

This season will not be a shoe in my opinion

There will be 4-5 teams on a par with us, a middle band who can beat anyone on the day and a lower band that we will beat comprehensively every time.

I think we'll beat most teams at home but away will be where it is won or lost.  No sh*t sherlock etc (said it for you) but I think that will be the test.

Parkinson has taken over a disgusting shambles and put together a new team,  it isn't going to be plain sailing from the off.

He has shown himself to be his own man, has clear ideas of what he wants. He is young, keen and he is thankfully not Matt Doughty, he knows the league and has experience of winning games in it.

Can it arrive instantly from day one? Time will tell... Like with a lot of teams at this level, there will be more comings and goings yet as games go on.

None of what has gone in the past (on or off the field) is his fault and I hope he isn't punished for it if things don't go totally our way.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »

The difficulty now for PP is that the margins of what can be defined as success as an Alty manager have narrowed considerably. This isn't the same football club.

For example, in the Conf then you could consider any manager who keeps us in the league to have been a relatively successful appointment in the current age. But down in the EvoStik, then a manager would have to get us promoted (at the very minimum) to be considered a success. That said, I'm sure Parkinson has taken the job with his eyes wide open and is fully aware of that.

Also, given that we are overspending to give PP the best possible budget to get us a step closer to normality, then a season of 'rebuilding' simply isn't an option at this stage. It has to be a promotion season. And, thankfully, the board have gone on record as saying the same as part of that strategy thing.

100% it isn't a shoe in. But it 100% needs to happen. The consequences of not bouncing straight back up, for the long-term future of the football club, don't bear thinking about.

markecky2

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 11:35:41 PM »

The difficulty now for PP is that the margins of what can be defined as success as an Alty manager have narrowed considerably. This isn't the same football club.

For example, in the Conf then you could consider any manager who keeps us in the league to have been a relatively successful appointment in the current age. But down in the EvoStik, then a manager would have to get us promoted (at the very minimum) to be considered a success. That said, I'm sure Parkinson has taken the job with his eyes wide open and is fully aware of that.

Also, given that we are overspending to give PP the best possible budget to get us a step closer to normality, then a season of 'rebuilding' simply isn't an option at this stage. It has to be a promotion season. And, thankfully, the board have gone on record as saying the same as part of that strategy thing.

100% it isn't a shoe in. But it 100% needs to happen. The consequences of not bouncing straight back up, for the long-term future of the football club, don't bear thinking about.

Don't misunderstand me mate, I'm not saying anything different to any of that.  100% agree.

I'm not saying this is a season of consolidation or rebuilding.  We have to get out of this league, it's been said by the board and it's been said by Phil.

I think we will have a very good season and go up, however it is not all going to be plain sailing.  Unless of course we get a head of steam up and it is all plain sailing!

I think the point I'm making (maybe badly) is that it is going to be so easy to criticise this season, the material is plentiful, you can almost write the posts now.  You can even dismiss the wins if you are of such a mindset (we used to beat x and y, now you're delighted that we have beaten z?) so I just hope he isn't up against it from the off.

He needs our backing and I hope he gets it.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team