PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interviews with both managers courtesy of Nantwich
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interviews with both managers courtesy of Nantwich  (Read 10540 times)

Stan Hibbert

Re: Interviews with both managers courtesy of Nantwich
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:50 PM »

Must admit I'm very disappointed that he managed to throw a dig at the fans in the interview when there wasn't a need to.

Fair point but let him have that one and put it down to a bit of naivety. He's still young and learning.

That aside, he's a good talker. Bit of a stuck record though based on how familiar he assumed the interviewer was with his comments about having all the play, passing it round well but then going one down!

Let's hope that isn't a sign of things to come.

Anyway, I'd take him over Young and Harvey so that'll do me at the moment.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

The real difference is that with PP we have a plan.  It might take time but at least there is a plan.  I didn't see evidence of a plan from young, doughty, Harvey or sinnott (once in the conference)
Bernard Taylors barmy army

bighairedmike

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »

The real difference is that with PP we have a plan.  It might take time but at least there is a plan.  I didn't see evidence of a plan from young, doughty, Harvey or sinnott (once in the conference)

I'd disagree on Sinnott. I believe he had a plan, but couldn't change it when it was obviously not working.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »

I'd disagree on Sinnott. I believe he had a plan, but couldn't change it when it was obviously not working.

Sinnott was a good manager but his lack of geographical proximity was his downfall.

He was always due to fail as soon as our first crisis arrived (it's still ongoing!) as he couldn't reach out to anyone to quickly turn it around.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »

I was stood behind the penalty box area when the pen was given and I admit the line markings were not very clear JJ was inside the box when he was tripped..
Me too and he was well inside the badly-lined area. How PP thought he could see from ground level, 100yds away, that it was outside is baffling. I hope he doesn't drive in the dark- though his sidelights are probably brighter than Nantwich's floodlights.

bighairedmike

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »

I was stood behind the penalty box area when the pen was given and I admit the line markings were not very clear JJ was inside the box when he was tripped..
Me too and he was well inside the badly-lined area. How PP thought he could see from ground level, 100yds away, that it was outside is baffling. I hope he doesn't drive in the dark- though his sidelights are probably brighter than Nantwich's floodlights.

I was just on the right hand side of the goal for the penalty incident and i must admit I thought it was outside the area. Just goes to show how badly the lines were marked.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »

I was just on the right hand side of the goal for the penalty incident and i must admit I thought it was outside the area. Just goes to show how badly the lines were marked.

It all happened in front of me, so much so that I thought I was going to get a face full of football or JJ. I'm just pleased the liner was able to confirm to the ref that it was inside the box, because his view of the almost invisible line, from the touchline, must have been poor.

On a serious note, how is a match allowed to start when the lines are so indiscernible? Presumably the ref could have had the pitch remarked - but then he would have been late home for his supper.

I don't know.........eggs lobbed over the wall, invisible pitch markings, floodlights that you could have had a romantic candlelit dinner for two under........is this EvoSh*t league?

Matt Taylor

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »

I do have some sympathy for Parkinson when it comes to all these interviews. He's a young manager just getting started, who isn't used to either managing a side that has supporters who's primary allegiance doesn't lie elsewhere, or managing under such pressure for promotion. Having a microphone shoved in your face post-match and having to answer questions while the emotions are still raw, and particularly when results haven't been good, is incredibly difficult. Top sports stars/managers go through hours of media training to make sure they don't say anything that makes them look stupid straight after a game. Non-league managers don't have that luxury. So it's no surprise if they then goes on to say something ill thought through, or what they say comes across in a way that causes they later embarrassment.

Parkinson either needs some help/training with the media side if we still want him doing these interviews after every Saturday and Tuesday match, or we need to protect him from himself a bit by reducing the amount he does while he is still finding his feet.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »

Managers at this level should not be interviewed on a game-by-game basis.

Maybe interview a player or the Assistant,break it up a bit.
Managers at this level should not be interviewed on a game-by-game basis.

Maybe interview a player or the Assistant,break it up a bit.

Yes. Id love to hear what Hannigan has to say

Any such interview would probably have to be curtailed after Hannigan either contracted laryngitis midway through it or kicked the interviewer up in the air.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 07:49:27 PM »

I do have some sympathy for Parkinson when it comes to all these interviews. He's a young manager just getting started, who isn't used to either managing a side that has supporters who's primary allegiance doesn't lie elsewhere, or managing under such pressure for promotion. Having a microphone shoved in your face post-match and having to answer questions while the emotions are still raw, and particularly when results haven't been good, is incredibly difficult. Top sports stars/managers go through hours of media training to make sure they don't say anything that makes them look stupid straight after a game. Non-league managers don't have that luxury. So it's no surprise if they then goes on to say something ill thought through, or what they say comes across in a way that causes they later embarrassment.

Parkinson either needs some help/training with the media side if we still want him doing these interviews after every Saturday and Tuesday match, or we need to protect him from himself a bit by reducing the amount he does while he is still finding his feet.

What a well thought out post - 100% spot on
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

andrewflynn

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »

Expanded on my earlier point perfectly. +1 mate.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 09:21:29 PM »

Very well said. While Phil Parkinson has managed at a couple of clubs before, at both Alsager and Nantwich, he came in when the clubs were struggling to avoid relegation so expectations and any success was a bonus. He immediately got some positive results so there was no problem and no critical fans.

In contrast, we, as if we didn't know, have been relegated so expectations are high, and emotions still raw, in a lower league.

I think there needs to be a bit of leeway and understanding on both sides, which I am confident there will be.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »

Maybe he's been led to believe that the fans are toxic?

After all he's going to be loyal to his employer right now whilst the results aren't backing up his CV.

Ultimately he's a man with a job. Most of us day to day just do what we think the person paying us would expect, I'm always surprised football fans expect players/managers to behave differently to the rest of us.

From what I know from a couple of people a few in our squad are only here for the money. But who cares if they get the job done? You just have to hope they have integrity which is much more subjective.

I think we'll come good and start winning comfortably soon.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »

Maybe he's been led to believe that the fans are toxic?

After all he's going to be loyal to his employer right now whilst the results aren't backing up his CV.

Ultimately he's a man with a job. Most of us day to day just do what we think the person paying us would expect, I'm always surprised football fans expect players/managers to behave differently to the rest of us.

From what I know from a couple of people a few in our squad are only here for the money. But who cares if they get the job done? You just have to hope they have integrity which is much more subjective.

I think we'll come good and start winning comfortably soon.

He's a man with 2 jobs, as is virtually every one else who receives a wage out of AFC.

Lots off players will be here for extra £40 a week.
Full time and proud of it

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »

Why else would they play for us? It's not like they were born in the shadow of the ground. Once they've been here a season or two they might not be as mercenary but initially they'd be mugs not to be looking after themselves first and foremost.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interviews with both managers courtesy of Nantwich