PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New message from Steve from Sale
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New message from Steve from Sale  (Read 8101 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
New message from Steve from Sale
« on: August 18, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »

Hi all, some of you may have wondered why I have not posted recently, or seen me at any games. On the 05th August, I went to Croatia for my annual jollies, to a place just outside Split called Ciovo Island - near the town of Trogir. They all support Hajduk Split round there of course!!

On the last day of my holiday I woke up feeling unwell. I was offered a cooked breakfast in the hotel but could not eat it. It was my old nemesis Cellulitis returning, and the reason why I am often seen limping at games. The flight home did not leave until 2155pm so we were spending the day in Split. Never during the day have I felt so unwell, but I decided though to see the day through and get treatment at home. I could not face the thought of going to the casualty/doctors in Croatia, or trying to find one for that matter, with the complications out there also. Neither could I stomach casualty at Wythenshawe on a Saturday night, so elected to go the next am the Sunday after our arrival. However, when we got to the airport, the situation worsened and my lower left leg swelled to twice its size and turned a bright crimson red colour. I also had the shivers, loss of appetite and unusually a dryness in my mouth and incredible thirst. To say the flight was memorable was an understatement but I somehow managed to get back. I struggled to walk longer than 5 yards without a rest. We went through the airport process and joined the queue for the taxi. There were 9 of us in total and they all begged and pleaded with me to go to hospital as soon as we got home.

This I duly did, and my god I am so glad I did so. That superb hospital ran a blood test in casualty and found that during the flight home my kidneys had failed. Apparently, they became aware of what my body had been invaded by, and decided to go into a temporary shutdown to protect themselves. I think it is known as a kidney trauma, and explained my thirst, bad taste in my mouth, and questions by staff about diabetes.

I was in hospital for 4 days from Sat night/Sunday am until Wednesday, and am still very unwell. I am also a lucky b*****d. Had I not listened to my wife and friends I would have gone home for a comfy nights sleep - the beds in Croatia and hard and uncomfortable. At best this would have led to a blue light job during the night, at worst it would have cost me my life. Just one decision can be the difference between life and death. It has really shaken me up and made me think. I have lost all links with the club while in hospital and Radio Robins. I am also off work now until 30th August. I have a constant pain in my left leg which resembles the pain in the wrist after the dreaded playground Chinese Burn. You remember some junior kid skulking away, while some poor infant holds his wrist and cries uncontrollably. At Woodheys Primary they were banned when I was there when some 7 year old went home with a red wrist. Remember the pain and times it by 30, and you will get what I am currently going through. This is the 5th attack in the last year

I know some of you will possibly wonder why I have posted all this on line, but there is a lesson in there for us all. Never, ever ignore your health, or put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Had I decided not to go to hospital that night at 0100am, I may not have been here now.

I am very grateful to Wythy Hospital for the fantastic investigations in their Casualty, and for re-starting my kidneys; and for all the subsequent treatment by all their dedicated staff to at least stabilize me before finally sending me home. They have been brilliant.

To all my fellow fans and the club, I will be back end of August/early September. I will be in touch with Radio Robins as I wish to sponsor a game. The service they provide is going to be priceless to me.

Stick with the club, I do remember the start of the 90/91 season where we finished third. We lost the first game 3-0 at Wycombe!!  We will be fine but I am gutted I have not yet been able to see them. I will be back when I am better, hopefully sooner rather than later.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New message from Steve from Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

Sound like you dodged a bullet. Good luck Steve. I'm sure the team will have clicked by the time you are back at Moss Lane. We are on the up at last.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »

Steve : you've learned the same lesson as I did in 2013. I failed to react to a chest infection, and to subsequent symptoms. I went to the infamous Colwyn Bay "replay" and those who saw me that night thought I "looked like death".

They were closer to the truth than they thought. The next day I had a pain which I later discovered was a blood clot moving from my right lung to my left lung.....and it was STILL 48 hours before I saw my GP. I should have gone to A&E/urgent care.

After 4 days in Trafford General with my pulmonary embolism, I was released to a lifetime of Warfarin.

My GP gave me a bollocking. "You need to remember you're 66, not 26 ! Take better care of yourself !"

Four years later I'm still here and generally reasonably healthy as I await the arrival of the big 7-0 later this year.

But seriously folks....it doesn't matter if you ARE only 26 ! If you get any unusual symptoms, don't fanny around, get checked over sooner rather than later (48 hours later in my case, I wouldn't be here !)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »

Hi all, some of you may have wondered why I have not posted recently, or seen me at any games. On the 05th August, I went to Croatia for my annual jollies, to a place just outside Split called Ciovo Island - near the town of Trogir. They all support Hajduk Split round there of course!!

On the last day of my holiday I woke up feeling unwell. I was offered a cooked breakfast in the hotel but could not eat it. It was my old nemesis Cellulitis returning, and the reason why I am often seen limping at games. The flight home did not leave until 2155pm so we were spending the day in Split. Never during the day have I felt so unwell, but I decided though to see the day through and get treatment at home. I could not face the thought of going to the casualty/doctors in Croatia, or trying to find one for that matter, with the complications out there also. Neither could I stomach casualty at Wythenshawe on a Saturday night, so elected to go the next am the Sunday after our arrival. However, when we got to the airport, the situation worsened and my lower left leg swelled to twice its size and turned a bright crimson red colour. I also had the shivers, loss of appetite and unusually a dryness in my mouth and incredible thirst. To say the flight was memorable was an understatement but I somehow managed to get back. I struggled to walk longer than 5 yards without a rest. We went through the airport process and joined the queue for the taxi. There were 9 of us in total and they all begged and pleaded with me to go to hospital as soon as we got home.

This I duly did, and my god I am so glad I did so. That superb hospital ran a blood test in casualty and found that during the flight home my kidneys had failed. Apparently, they became aware of what my body had been invaded by, and decided to go into a temporary shutdown to protect themselves. I think it is known as a kidney trauma, and explained my thirst, bad taste in my mouth, and questions by staff about diabetes.

I was in hospital for 4 days from Sat night/Sunday am until Wednesday, and am still very unwell. I am also a lucky b*****d. Had I not listened to my wife and friends I would have gone home for a comfy nights sleep - the beds in Croatia and hard and uncomfortable. At best this would have led to a blue light job during the night, at worst it would have cost me my life. Just one decision can be the difference between life and death. It has really shaken me up and made me think. I have lost all links with the club while in hospital and Radio Robins. I am also off work now until 30th August. I have a constant pain in my left leg which resembles the pain in the wrist after the dreaded playground Chinese Burn. You remember some junior kid skulking away, while some poor infant holds his wrist and cries uncontrollably. At Woodheys Primary they were banned when I was there when some 7 year old went home with a red wrist. Remember the pain and times it by 30, and you will get what I am currently going through. This is the 5th attack in the last year

I know some of you will possibly wonder why I have posted all this on line, but there is a lesson in there for us all. Never, ever ignore your health, or put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Had I decided not to go to hospital that night at 0100am, I may not have been here now.

I am very grateful to Wythy Hospital for the fantastic investigations in their Casualty, and for re-starting my kidneys; and for all the subsequent treatment by all their dedicated staff to at least stabilize me before finally sending me home. They have been brilliant.

To all my fellow fans and the club, I will be back end of August/early September. I will be in touch with Radio Robins as I wish to sponsor a game. The service they provide is going to be priceless to me.

Stick with the club, I do remember the start of the 90/91 season where we finished third. We lost the first game 3-0 at Wycombe!!  We will be fine but I am gutted I have not yet been able to see them. I will be back when I am better, hopefully sooner rather than later.

A valuable lesson indeed.

I'm sure many on here, knowing they had a long-term medical condition, experiencing their legs balloon in size and suffering from chronic pain meaning they could barely walk, would simply laugh it off and take a couple of paracetamol.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »

Jeeze One Foot, that is worse than my story!!

Glad you also made a full recovery, it's amazing how things like this make us revaluate our lives!!

Really glad we have Radio Robins, its my only link with the club plus the websites, see you in a couple of weeks!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »

Get back to ML as soon as you can. That will really cheer you up.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »

OneFoot - which game are you expecting us to win by a big 7-0?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »

Perfectly feasible this season for me. Remember the 3-0 Wycombe defeat in 90/91 - then the 9-2 V Meyrthr that same season.

God am I a soothsayer?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »

Steve - I am glad you stopped being stubborn and listened to your body.  And to your friends.

Take care and get well soon - and lets hope the Radio Robins commentators bring you joy in the coming weeks; for all our sakes.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

At the risk of pissing on your endless boundless optimism Steve, you've had a slight memory sh*t down as well mate. That Wycombe game was the fifth of the season.

We'd already drawn 0-0 at Fisher, beaten Runcorn 1-0 and Bath 2-0 at home and got another goalless away draw at Barnet before the defeat at Wycombe.

A combination of Kingy as manager and is spending £10,000 or so to sign Ken McKenna in the summer meant I had a lot more faith about how much business the club meant then incidentally, a 0-3 setback was much easier to cope with

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »

Just to confirm I have decided to make a donation of £10.00 to Radio Robins - it has already been cleared through.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »

Well I for one are certainly glad both Steve and Phil went to the hospy.. and are now back up and running and Steve on the road to recovery.

There is, sadly too much bad news around these days..

Great to read on the main site there was a superb turnout for Dave Johnson and his family and friends, well done to Nicky Clee and Greg Young and there families for attending...

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »

Thanks for all your good wishes everybody, I am now on the mend but the time to get better with antibiotics can be up to 10 days.

The other big threat I have been made aware of is Sepsis.

Will advise on any updates as I get better; than you all so much for your good wishes.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »

I've had the sh*ts for two days, bye.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

Get well soon Steve.