PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Very quiet after a win
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Very quiet after a win  (Read 8655 times)

dunhamalty

Re: Very quiet after a win
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »

Good result, Poole is a class above. Still shaky at the back, we need a new keeper and an natural striker if we get these we should be up there.

What did Thompson do wrong tonight?

Nothing...apart from kicking it wildly into touch at least 4 times. His distribution is gash...even from dead balls he shanks it into the crowd. Really not good enough. Their keeper gave him a lesson in kicking tonight. He really is dreadful

You're going to label him dreadful for missing a few kicks? His distribution needs a bit of work but it isn't that bad, their keeper had a few dodgy kicks of his own tonight I seem to recall as well.

His distribution isn't that bad?? It's f**king woeful!! He's kicked it straight into touch at least 4 times in every match he's played,how can that be anything but poor distribution? Still defo need a keeper.

Every kick went into touch, giving the ball straight back to the opposition and bring more unwanted pressure. Every time a cross comes we look vulnerable. I have seen 3 out of 4 league games and the opposition keeper has been a lot better than ours! The Nantwich sub keeper looked pretty handy as well.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »

I guess we have been spoilt by having England's No1 between the sticks for so long...

dunhamalty

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:05 AM »

the fact we haven't found a keeper anywhere near the standard of Stu just shows how good he was!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

It wasn't very quiet last night!!  Fans were absolutely fantastic.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »

If Thompson keeps a clean sheet I can tolerate the errant kicking.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:18:03 AM by robininstockport »
Full time and proud of it

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 10:01:06 AM »

Keeper, absolutely terrible distribution and we do need a decent keeper.

Defence class. Jones is a very good signing and Short has impressed me a lot, hardly anything gets passed him.

Midfield a bit slow last night.

Peers was positive on the right but would still like to see him as number 9 due to his pace and finishing.

Hulme had is best game by a country mile and ran his socks off.

Hancock very much in and out of the game and I personally can't wait for Miller to come back.

Richman adopted to right back and is having a good season but we need him centre mid this season.

A win is a win so let's crack on.

Oh, tactically we sit too deep and I know that is because we want to catch teams by countering attacking but you will need quicker players like Johnson and Miller for it be effective.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »

the fact we haven't found a keeper anywhere near the standard of Stu just shows how good he was!
Stu was a Football League standard keeper who were incredibly fortunate not to lose to a bigger club, especially after his trial at Leicester when THEY circulated other clubs.

We're three grades below that level, so we've no chance of getting another keeper anywhere near Stu's standard. For all that, while Thompson is the best we've had since Deasy's  injury problems started, we can do better and should be scouting keepers.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »

Thompsons save in the first half was excellent , also it must be noted that the style of play gives the ball to him a lot, his short passing distribution is very good, agreed some did go out when hit long but overall I thought he had a good game
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »

Thompsons save in the first half was excellent , also it must be noted that the style of play gives the ball to him a lot, his short passing distribution is very good, agreed some did go out when hit long but overall I thought he had a good game
Agreed. He made three very good saves. And.......how is it that a throw-in to the opposition, usually well into their half, is deemed so bad? How many times do other keepers hoof it down the middle only to have it land on an opposition centre half's head and for the ball to come straight back into our penalty area? Surely that is worse? But it looks like the keeper's hit it long, straight and central. So what? At least Thompson finds the wingers occasionally and sets up an immediate attack.

And whilst this is likely to be an unpopular defence of Thompson, can I also voice my concern that Taylor is not the player others on here seem to think he is. Start every game with him, put his name on the team sheet first? I think not. He is largely a passenger in most games and whilst he may make some decent slick touches they are not in important areas of the field and not in sufficient numbers to warrant his automatic inclusion in the team. IMHO.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »

Agreed. He made three very good saves. And.......how is it that a throw-in to the opposition, usually well into their half, is deemed so bad? How many times do other keepers hoof it down the middle only to have it land on an opposition centre half's head and for the ball to come straight back into our penalty area? Surely that is worse? But it looks like the keeper's hit it long, straight and central. So what? At least Thompson finds the wingers occasionally and sets up an immediate attack.

And whilst this is likely to be an unpopular defence of Thompson, can I also voice my concern that Taylor is not the player others on here seem to think he is. Start every game with him, put his name on the team sheet first? I think not. He is largely a passenger in most games and whilst he may make some decent slick touches they are not in important areas of the field and not in sufficient numbers to warrant his automatic inclusion in the team. IMHO.

I'll second that. He's good on the ball but does very little off it. We need someone in the centre who's going to make tackles and protect the back four.

We do have a tendency on here to idolise anyone who comes through the youth team.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:21:24 PM by RageAgainstTheFirstTeam »
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »

Totally agree re Taylor

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

Taylor is a long way from being our problem in midfield. If the manager sticks with Jake Moult, we really will have a problem. His distribution is a complete nightmare and he provides no protection for the centre backs.
I do actually like Thompson, I think he's a really useful keeper, but unless he works on his kicking it is going to keep on resulting in needless pressure being put on our defenders.

Jezza

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

Should have been about 5-0, but admittedly we rode our luck last five or so. On to Saturday!

And it could have been 1-1 or 1-2....two very good penalty shouts turned down for them...

Work to be done...not getting carried away about getting our first 3 points in our 4th match..

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

I'll second that. He's good on the ball but does very little off it. We need someone in the centre who's going to make tackles and protect the back four.

We do have a tendency on here to idolise anyone who comes through the youth team.

I understand this sentiment although I also remember that Duncan Watmore had a few quiet games for us at first until he grew into the league
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Very quiet after a win