PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ABBEY HEY (replay) - Match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: ABBEY HEY (replay) - Match thread  (Read 15125 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ABBEY HEY (replay) - Match thread
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »

I doubt I've seen a more one-sided half of football since the second half of the 8-0 win v Hinckley - we should have been out of sight and PP will see that as a major issue.

What a joy to watch JJ tonight - he was MoM by a country mile. Granted he'll have sterner tests (the right back will have seen him in his nightmares last night) but he fared well on the left and liked how he mixed cutting inside with reaching the byline and using his left foot. If PP starts deploying him there more regularly it'll be interesting to see how Miller fits in when he comes back.

The two full backs looked solid and in pretty decent shape (I like the look of Short, he linked well with JJ in the first half) - I don't know what's happened to Hannigan but for some reason he doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

Moult/Sheridan bossed the midfield but they had so much time on the ball it was criminal.

I like Jordan Hulme. I know there's been a bit of a mixed response on here, he looked lost v Trafford pre-season when I last saw him but it was clear he was being played out of position. He worked hard (particularly in the first half) and has a good understanding with JJ. He'll definitely come good down the middle, and from memory I don't think much of last night's poor finishing could be attributed directly to him (JJ and Moult being two big culprits). With regard to his attitude I don't think that's a bad thing - his Twitter shows he's dead into playing for us and he wears his heart on his sleeve - which given the last couple of years, is very welcome. He'll pick up the odd booking (possibly even red) and get in the opponent's faces, but like I said I don't think that's necessarily bad. At one point in the first half he was screaming at JJ for not giving him the ball - JJ was very sheepishly apologetic!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

Good on him, we need his desire to win, and many more at the same level. It takes this mentality to be successful

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »

As others say, we dominated the game, should have won by 5 or 6 on the night, but credit to Abbey Hey they battled away, blocked a lot, some good saves, hit the post and overall squandered numerous chances but we got the result. JJ MOM. I was too unsure about Jordan, but he does graft and has improved immensely from the pre season. Still disappointed with Peers.

There goal was a bit flukey, but the defence needs to react quicker and thought Deasy could have done better, but need to see a replay. Thought there keeper was very good and made numerous good saves.

Lets hope this is the start of a cup run to bring more money into the coffers.

Finally, for a 1st qual replay I thought the attendance was decent.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »

I doubt I've seen a more one-sided half of football since the second half of the 8-0 win v Hinckley - we should have been out of sight and PP will see that as a major issue.

What a joy to watch JJ tonight - he was MoM by a country mile. Granted he'll have sterner tests (the right back will have seen him in his nightmares last night) but he fared well on the left and liked how he mixed cutting inside with reaching the byline and using his left foot. If PP starts deploying him there more regularly it'll be interesting to see how Miller fits in when he comes back.

The two full backs looked solid and in pretty decent shape (I like the look of Short, he linked well with JJ in the first half) - I don't know what's happened to Hannigan but for some reason he doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

Moult/Sheridan bossed the midfield but they had so much time on the ball it was criminal.

I like Jordan Hulme. I know there's been a bit of a mixed response on here, he looked lost v Trafford pre-season when I last saw him but it was clear he was being played out of position. He worked hard (particularly in the first half) and has a good understanding with JJ. He'll definitely come good down the middle, and from memory I don't think much of last night's poor finishing could be attributed directly to him (JJ and Moult being two big culprits). With regard to his attitude I don't think that's a bad thing - his Twitter shows he's dead into playing for us and he wears his heart on his sleeve - which given the last couple of years, is very welcome. He'll pick up the odd booking (possibly even red) and get in the opponent's faces, but like I said I don't think that's necessarily bad. At one point in the first half he was screaming at JJ for not giving him the ball - JJ was very sheepishly apologetic!

Personally I disagree and think he's one of the poorest elements of this team. The two games against Abbey Hey illustrate that for me. 180 minutes against a Counties team with barely a shot to show for it. He's trying his heart out and I can't fault him for that but I just think he's below average in every area. Rarely wins a header, not fast, not skillful, not a poacher like Reeves. We have absolutely no penetration down the middle and whilst to be fair we're not putting in many good quality crosses, Hulme just offers very little across the board.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »

I think the first half showed the difference between him and Peers - in terms of leading the line I think he's a 'strong' communicator(!) who is always working hard to make himself available - which is more than can be said for Peers.

I'm willing to give both players plenty of time as they were both very well regarded at previous clubs, who had seen them a damn sight more regularly (out of interest this can't be said for Amis if you ask Stockport fans...)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »

I didn't go last night. My worry about Jordan Hulme is he simply doesn't look like he is going to score. Amis may have been disliked by Stockport fans but I have confidence in him to score at Evostik level - in fact in my opinion we've missed him badly.
JJ blows hot and cold for me. It'll be interesting to see how he stands up to full backs at the likes of Farsley and Workington. I like him and hope it works out.
I have to say, I would be mqjorly surprised if PP doesn't make contact with AH's keeper - he looked pretty decent on Saturday too.
The central midfield by all accounts had plenty of space to play last night, but I still believe that is our area of greatest concern moving forward.
Hoping to make Barwell on Saturday.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »

I think the first half showed the difference between him and Peers - in terms of leading the line I think he's a 'strong' communicator(!) who is always working hard to make himself available - which is more than can be said for Peers.

I'm willing to give both players plenty of time as they were both very well regarded at previous clubs, who had seen them a damn sight more regularly (out of interest this can't be said for Amis if you ask Stockport fans...)

To be fair, I don't think Peers is particularly good either! Not seen enough of Amis to have an opinion on him.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ABBEY HEY (replay) - Match thread