PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Workington - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Workington - Match Thread  (Read 20851 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Workington - Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »

I hate to break it to you but the level of football is markedly lower than last year and all the players and teams are flawed (granted this applies to an extent to us too). There aren't any tough assignments at this level (regardless of what result we come back with tonight. Trust me.

Surely that is all relative and there are many teams at this level that would totally disagree with that analysis. We are where we are because we deserve to be and whatever you may think none of it is going to be a cakewalk, unfortunately.

Try reading it again...

The teams and players aren't good enough to make anywhere in this league ;including Moss Lane) a tough ask

If you are two teams of a similar level, regardless of what that level may be, then a game can be a tough ask....as I said, it's all relative. A tough ask is merely a game where the result could go either way and I fear there are plenty of those in this league.....just as there are a few where a walkover may well be in the offing.

Either way you look at it, it's a sorry state of affairs that we are here.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ginrail

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »

I know it is not all Deasy's fault but we still need a decent keeper. He just is not on the money.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »

The young Wynne lad of Abbey Hey looked decent

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »

5-2. FT. :-[
It's all my fault.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »

I know it is not all Deasy's fault but we still need a decent keeper. He just is not on the money.

Someone inexplicably gave him a contract until the end of this season so we're stuck with him and his wages I'm afraid.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »

Let's hear no excuses tonight, yes the refs are wank, the weather was as sh*t for both teams, no excuses or positives, put it right on saturday. Three wins shy of top spot now

GB Alty

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »

I hate to break it to you but the level of football is markedly lower than last year and all the players and teams are flawed (granted this applies to an extent to us too). There aren't any tough assignments at this level (regardless of what result we come back with tonight. Trust me.

Surely that is all relative and there are many teams at this level that would totally disagree with that analysis. We are where we are because we deserve to be and whatever you may think none of it is going to be a cakewalk, unfortunately.

Try reading it again...

The teams and players aren't good enough to make anywhere in this league ;including Moss Lane) a tough ask

This is our current level - there will be tough games and easier ones.
I think the point Ballers was trying to make is that we're not good enough as tonights result clearly shows. The shame of it is people were on here busy writing excuses for not winning tonight this afternoon

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »

Are we sure this game happened tonight.

It's the only fixture not listed for our league on sky sports news earlier

I was thinking maybe it had got called off earlier

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »

Are we sure this game happened tonight.

It's the only fixture not listed for our league on sky sports news earlier

I was thinking maybe it had got called off earlier

If only!!

Alty wanderer

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »

Wouldn't be too down tonight. Alty played some good football  and the ref wasn't great. Workington were better in all departments despite sitting back at the start of the second half but the game was much closer than the score line. Sending off though - harrop only has himself to blame for letting his team mates down. Need a bit more bite and a little less flowery football though.
As I said this is a good Workington side and I think tonight demonstrates the level required week in week out. They get better as the weather gets worse.
Just don't get the negativity of some people though. things will only get better in every department once you accept where the club is. When I was a kid in the 70s I was watching workington regularly in the football league! That's sinking. 3 successive playoff failures is also a killer but that's football and the ups and downs are why it's such a great game. Nothing worse than taking anything for granted.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »

By the sound of it (thanks Radio Robins) a couple of shocking decisions by the ref had a significant impact.  While it's too late now, it appears as though the team dug in and fought their way back into the match, leaving themselves open at the back.  Score line may flatter the oppo. so I shan't get too dispirited at the point.  Onwards.

GB Alty

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »

Wouldn't be too down tonight. Alty played some good football  and the ref wasn't great. Workington were better in all departments despite sitting back at the start of the second half but the game was much closer than the score line. Sending off though - harrop only has himself to blame for letting his team mates down. Need a bit more bite and a little less flowery football though.
As I said this is a good Workington side and I think tonight demonstrates the level required week in week out. They get better as the weather gets worse.
Just don't get the negativity of some people though. things will only get better in every department once you accept where the club is. When I was a kid in the 70s I was watching workington regularly in the football league! That's sinking. 3 successive playoff failures is also a killer but that's football and the ups and downs are why it's such a great game. Nothing worse than taking anything for granted.
Getting patted on the head by Workington now ffs

I will never accept the club being in the evostick league - no Altrincham fan should

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »

I will never accept the club being in the evostick league - no Altrincham fan should

Unfortunately, whether you accept it or not, we are. That is the sad reality. That's like saying you don't accept the result of Brexit.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Alty5678

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 12:47:55 AM »

Getting patted on the head by Workington now ffs

How can you not accept It? It is the truth! What don't you understand about that?

You do know that WWE isn't real don't you?

We are now in a league where there are no standout teams and anyone can beat anyone on a good day. The level we are at is down to poor performance for two years. Having fans on their backs this season isn't going to get us promoted. This is a one season chance before a 'money' team join the league and walk it. Why not get behind the lads??

markecky2

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2017, 01:38:38 AM »

It's Workington - if we're serious about going up we should be winning at places like that

Tough place to go on a Tuesday? Last time we did we won 6-1

If I think it's a tough place to go on a Tuesday I'll say it if it's all the same to you.  I knew they would be better than results suggest and they were.

Workington were the best team we've played in my opinion by a country mile, they will be up there at the end.  Had pace, passed it well and it was a decent game in atrocious conditions.

They scored a great goal, we scored a better one from Harrop then gave away a soft pen for holding.  His challenge for the sending off was a 50/50 but you can see why the ref sent him off as there guy stayed down and he didn't.

We kept on pushing forward second half with ten men and when we got level looked like we might even win it.  Lack of concentration was poor to let them get 3-2 up and as we chased an equaliser with ten men they exploited the gaps and a second stupid penalty sealed it.

Never a 5-2 defeat and you couldn't fault the effort of the players with 10 men for so long. A disappointing night certainly but not quite as disappointing as it was on here it would seem.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Workington - Match Thread