PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Statement from Bill Waterson regarding Stafford and Coalville matches
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Statement from Bill Waterson regarding Stafford and Coalville matches  (Read 8401 times)

AFC SLO

I am reproducing in full the statement that I was sent by Bill Waterson regarding the above games. This centres mainly around the requests and suggestions I received from fans as to how to combat such incidents going forward.

"This note is based on discussions over several weeks between Mike Reeves, Supporters Liaison Officer and myself, Bill Waterson, Director after feedback from the fan base on the home fixtures against Stafford Rangers and Coalville Town.  The issues raised in this note were discussed at length by the board at our last board meeting on 20th September.

The fans had suggested that all games start with complete segregation of the ground, with the Community Sports Hall partitioned to allow access from the road only for away fans.  The lifting of segregation would be lifted dependent on number of away fans and conditional on their behaviour.

The board in considering this question have decided not to follow this path as part of a regular game management strategy.  We think it would be overkill for the vast majority of clubs visiting Moss Lane this season.  However, we will adopt this strategy for those games which we believe may require segregation, and we know there will be some such games this season.  We will work with the SLO to communicate to the fans which games we believe require us to start with segregation.  We think this is a reasonable approach given our experience now of clubs such as Rushall Olympic and Whitby Town visiting the J Davidson Stadium.  We also agree that partitioning the Community Sports Hall is a good idea should a situation similar to the visiting Leicester City fans at the Coalville game arise again.

The fans also asked for continuity and stability in stewarding, and the board completely agree that fan safety is our primary concern and this is non-negotiable.  After the Stafford game, we have reviewed our existing Match Day Planning processes, which have been in place for quite some time and we acknowledge that we made a mistake on the opening day of the season.  We intend to ensure that all parties – whether stewards, bar staff, turnstile operators or others are aware of any specific circumstances on any given match day.  As part of this process we are overhauling to role of the Match Day Organiser to embed the lessons we have learnt.

In summary, we would like to thank the fans for the feedback, acknowledge we got it wrong for the Stafford game and recognise the value of a number of your suggestions.  However we do feel it would be inappropriate to segregate every game as a matter of course.  I would like to apologise for the length of time it has taken to produce this response and take full responsibility for the delay.

Bill Waterson"

Recognising the flaws in our matchday planning process is one thing, but continuing it is another. New blood is actively being sought for the Matchday Organiser role and I have received assurances that this won't just go to "a known face" or someone who necessarily has a close link to the board, as has happened before.

With recent developments in the changes in stewarding (of which I was  unaware until I read the forum on Saturday evening), a fresh outlook and new impetus will be able to better the Matchday experience for all of our supporters.

If there are any more queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me, either by replying to this, sending myself a personal message or by emailing altrinchamfcslo@gmail.com

Thanks for your time, and apologies for the delay.

Mike.

Teasierbeaver

Re: Statement from Bill Waterson regarding Stafford and Coalville matches
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »

Nothing is going to retract from the fact that the statement is far too late, given we've had 6 home fixtures since, so i won't go on about it.

If the club have decided that segregation will only be applied when they see fit I would hope that they are going to have a process in place whereby segregation can be implemented at the last minute, i.e. 1430 on a Saturday where it becomes apparent there are fifty away fans drinking in the bar vociferously. We should be able to direct away fans to the segregated area of the ground.

Mike: Please can you have this point discussed and answered.

We seem to care far too much about visiting fans 'matchday experience' at the expense of home fans who are expected to pitch up and pay time and time again.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »

Monsieur,

Thanks for your speedy response.  I agree with you that such a procedure would be necessary and therefore needs to be defined.

With regards to your other point, we are actively working to improve the home fan match day experience and hopefully some evidence of this was provided by Non League Day.

I accept fully your point re the lateness of this statement and apologise for that

Bill

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »

So basically it's taken nearly 2 months to put out a statement that contains more or less what everyone knew it would!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

So basically it's taken nearly 2 months to put out a statement that contains more or less what everyone knew it would!
Did you really expect anything else ?

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »

Indeed - the majority of that statement could have been put out at 17:30 on the day of the Stafford game and it has probably done little or nothing to quell the bad feeling generated by these incidents.
I'm interested in "we made a mistake on the opening day of the season" - who exactly is "we" in this case? Some or all of the board, the safety officer, the stewards, all of the above? Were all parties in agreement?
All of us would like to think that our safety, rather than the prospect of earning a few extra quid over the bar, is the club's priority.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »

One part says fan safety primary concern and this is non-negotiable.so I am taking it that tomorrow's game will have a new head steward and stewards who will all be qualified that is they will all have been trained in nvq ground safety.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »

Lets move on
Bernard Taylors barmy army

andrewflynn

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »

Monsieur,

Thanks for your speedy response.  I agree with you that such a procedure would be necessary and therefore needs to be defined.

With regards to your other point, we are actively working to improve the home fan match day experience and hopefully some evidence of this was provided by Non League Day.

I accept fully your point re the lateness of this statement and apologise for that

Bill

Thanks Bill, much appreciated

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »

Moving on......c'mon Alty!!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »

In summary, we would like to thank the fans for the feedback, acknowledge we got it wrong for the Stafford game and recognise the value of a number of your suggestions.

So, the Coalville Town game went swimmingly then?

Which individual actually sanctioned that invitation to those Leicester City fans?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

GB Alty

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »

Monsieur,

Bill
The statement is poor, it nowhere near addresses what went wrong and doesn't even acknowledge the board got it wrong with the Coaville farce.

Also an apology for compromising fans safety should have been a minimum requirement - yet there is nothing of the sort. The only apology is for the lateness of the statement itself which is ridiculous

This statement treats the supporters with disdain, I'm surprised the SLO's have supported it

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »

In summary, we would like to thank the fans for the feedback, acknowledge we got it wrong for the Stafford game and recognise the value of a number of your suggestions.

So, the Coalville Town game went swimmingly then?

Which individual actually sanctioned that invitation to those Leicester City fans?

EXACTLY THIS.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

Lets move on

+1
im inclined to agree. Its dragged on and been a farce however im more interested in getting behind the team now
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Statement from Bill Waterson regarding Stafford and Coalville matches