News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 League Cup draw

Author Topic: League Cup draw  (Read 4291 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
League Cup draw
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »

Mossley away.
 It must be a good few years since we played a competitive match at Seel Park.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: League Cup draw
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »

Probably our last pre-Conference season.....so almost 40 years.

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:50 PM »

Last away League meeting - Sept 9 1978, drew 1-1
Last away Cup meeting - April 19 1979, NPL Cup SF 2nd Leg, lost 1-5 (aggregate 6-9)
Last 'competitive' away match - Sept 24 1979, NPL Challenge Shield, won 4-2 (if you count champs v runners-up match as competitive)
Last competitive meeting anywhere - Sept 30 2000, FA Cup 2nd Qual Rd, lost at home 0-2
The original fixture list scheduled this round for the week commencing Nov 27th, but that could prove to be a moveable feast given the way this league 'organises' its fixtures ...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:22:15 PM by roytonmike »

thegazelle

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:26 PM »

mossley away will bring back some scary memories for people who went there in the late 70s . i can recall hanging onto to the emergency exit door on the coach afterour 5-1 defeat in the second leg as 50 yobs in white skinners and harringtons s tried to get on to our coach to attack us despite them winning. my dad lived up there in the 90's and they still dressed the same . wouldnt be surprised if the home fans are all wearing crombies and oxford bags when we go there .

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »

Last away Cup meeting - April 19 1979, NPL Cup SF 2nd Leg, lost 1-5 (aggregate 6-9)
Last 'competitive' away match - Sept 24 1979, NPL Challenge Shield, won 4-2 (if you count champs v runners-up match as competitive)
Last competitive meeting anywhere - Sept 30 2000, FA Cup 2nd Qual Rd, lost at home 0-2
The original fixture list scheduled this round for the week commencing Nov 27th, but that could prove to be a moveable feast given the way this league 'organises' its fixtures ...

A few memorable games there, Mike.

I'm fairly sure that the FA cup defeat was 0-3......Danny Murphy tore us apart & we signed him about 2 weeks later.

Didn't

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »

I'm fairly sure that the FA cup defeat was 0-3......Danny Murphy tore us apart & we signed him about 2 weeks later.

Didn't

Yes, Mossley's rather good website confirms it was 0-3 with Dicken, Burns and Garside the scorers. I think Danny Murphy signed for us while Mossley's cup run was still ongoing.

Peter Band is manager there of course, and he was still playing until fairly recently in 2013-14.

http://www.mossleyweb.com
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:21:18 PM by Sale Holmfield »

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »

mossley away will bring back some scary memories for people who went there in the late 70s . i can recall hanging onto to the emergency exit door on the coach afterour 5-1 defeat in the second leg as 50 yobs in white skinners and harringtons s tried to get on to our coach to attack us despite them winning. my dad lived up there in the 90's and they still dressed the same . wouldnt be surprised if the home fans are all wearing crombies and oxford bags when we go there .
As soon as I saw the name Mossley I started having flashbacks Pete, the things we did for fun in those days
That 5-1 was the second leg of the O'Keefe/Allen semi wasn't it. Not very welcoming, as was often the case it was lads outside who weren't at the game - those were the times though, I'm glad to have lived through them but I wouldn't want anyone else to have to.

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »

Didn't
Point, Brian - proves I should remember to put my specs on when I'm reading off my computer screen! Sign of advancing age ...
By the by (ref Sale Holmfield) - the Mossley archive is indeed an excellent resource. The same may be said for the Chester and Macc archives.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:57:10 AM by roytonmike »

anglo alty

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

Remember the great Mossley side of the late 70's especially Leo Skeete who later came to us
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 League Cup draw