Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Were there two games being played on Saturday?

Author Topic: Were there two games being played on Saturday?  (Read 6322 times)

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »

From PP’s interview “Laurence Taylor.......grew into the game and made some great tackles in the second half. Alongside him, Max Harrop ran the game at times........ For any neutrals, it must have been a fantastic game. “

Where can you get those rose-tinted glasses? I want a pair. Or did I go to a different game?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Were there two games being played on Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

I thought Harrop was OK in the first half when we were in the ascendency, but he wasn't in it second half.

Taylor looks bereft of confidence and didn't get involved whatsoever.

PP knows the real issue was the space they had to push into on the edge of the final third between our midfield and defence (where Moult and Richman normally patrol).

With Richman back for Ramsbottom, who plays alongside him?  I'd be tempted to bring Dens in.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »

I agree with PP about Harrop and while Taylor was better 2nd Half, he's a long way from being what is required.

As we will probably go strong and assuming Jones being available I think the only change will be Richman for Taylor.

Full time and proud of it

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »

I thought Harrop was great in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Taylor was pretty anonymous throughout, except for the couple of wayward shots on goal.

FatJan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

LT played better in the second half than he did in the first and I saw him make two excellent tackles in the second half.  Arguably, both points made by PP about Lawrence are valid.  Was LT dominant or a critical factor in the game? No, but he's not our first choice centre-mid.

From my point of view Harrop saw a lot of the ball, but did he run the game?  Two minutes could be argued as "at times".  But he's not our first choice holding midfielder.

Is it a good idea for PP to instill confidence in non first choice team members by praising their contributions when we don't lose.  Possibly.

I'm not a neutral, but I thought Buxton were the most likely team I have seen at Moss Lane this year, and it was an excellent game to watch overall.

Tomayto - Tomarto.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »

Personally, I was confused by the bit where he talks about Harrop having been at MK Dons. He never played for them!
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 04:34:56 PM »

I also thought Taylor made a couple of decent tackles in situations where others would have taken the man. He's making a comeback from injury so you've got to expect it will take time for him to work out how to fit in.

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

Personally, I was confused by the bit where he talks about Harrop having been at MK Dons. He never played for them!
Nantwich played them in the Cup last season.
As for the game on Saturday, I too felt Taylor did well enough given his lack of match practice - the two tackles referred to were very important. Harrop I am far from convinced about. Buxton deserved at least a point - Young, Miller & McWilliams were excellent in defence & they posed a threat going forward throughout. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:01:26 PM by roytonmike »

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »

The confusion over MK Dons is my fault, so apologies. I should have made it clearer that Phil was saying Max has played at MK Dons but not for them, i.e. he was part of the away team. As for the appraisal of how Max played, I thought he was an absolute revelation in the first half, even if he had a quieter time of it in the second half.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »

I said on the Buxton match thread that LT should have been hooked at ht for Dens.

LT is short of fitness down to his injury and was clearly a yard off the pace

He still has plenty to offer the team once fully match fit again.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »

Having done a bit of digging on google, it appears Max went on as substitute for Bury at MK Dons in February, 2012 - maybe that's the game Phil was referring to...

GB Alty

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »

Having done a bit of digging on google, it appears Max went on as substitute for Bury at MK Dons in February, 2012 - maybe that's the game Phil was referring to...
But the attendance for that game was only 6,405 ???

roytonmike

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »

Checking in the Non-League Directory I find that MK Dons v Nantwich was actually six years ago - which astounds me. I'm pretty sure that means Max Harrop won't have been involved in that game!

anglo alty

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »

The impression I got was that Buxton had done their homework and watched Alty TV  and seen the likes of Halesowen,Lancaster,Farsley etc trying to defend and getting battered so they tried to take the game to us and did well by it and going forward we will have to combat this as someone teams especially Stourbridge will adopt the same tactics
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team