Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 04:02:54 AM
264408 Posts in 21680 Topics by 2238 Members
Latest Member: Angus
www.altyfans.co.uk  |  General Category  |  Altrincham FC First Team  |  Shaw Lane lose manager to Boston « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Shaw Lane lose manager to Boston  (Read 2219 times)
Andrew Flynn
Regular First Team

Like this post? +247/-276

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »

http://www.shawlaneafc.com/news/press-release-2074730.html

Shocked

Still Fabio Bassangue's English tutor.
Sale Holmfield
First Team Squad

Like this post? +78/-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »

Any instability at our main rivals can only be welcomed. Grin
Toff Apple
Global Moderator
Regular First Team

Like this post? +186/-108

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »

Grin

Bernard Taylors barmy army
Snork Maiden
Regular First Team

Like this post? +240/-211

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

I'd take a punt on Matt Doughty or Neil Young if I was their chairman...
MarpleAlty
Regular First Team

Like this post? +16/-79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »

I'd take a punt on Matt Doughty or Neil Young if I was their chairman...

Cheesy

Round those parts they could do worse than to appoint Sinnott tbh
Sarf London Alty
Regular First Team

Like this post? +130/-93

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »

Youd assume hell look to take a few Shaw Lane players with him too, as normally happens in these situations. Whoever replaces him will have very big shoes to fill, this fella took them from nothing to where they are today. Id take this as a very big blow to one of our main title rivals, excellent.
The Jesters Shoes
Administrator
Regular First Team

Like this post? +512/-353

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »

Im not so sure, hes had pretty unlimited funds far beyond anything else in any of the leagues hes taken them through. Boston will be a different kettle of fish. The bookies seem to have taken note of his departure with shaw lanes odds drifting this evening
MarpleAlty
Regular First Team

Like this post? +16/-79

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »

Just goes to show how quickly momentum can potentially change.

Let's hope we don't see anything to tempt our own manager away any time soon.
Sale Holmfield
First Team Squad

Like this post? +78/-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »

The new Shaw Lane manager is Paul Quinn, who was previously the Brighouse Town manager before leaving in the summer (I think). They  have had a similar rapid rise through the leagues to Shaw Lane, although not quite as meteoric.

He is the son of Gerry Quinn, who of course managed us 25 years ago; apologies if that makes anyone feel old.
Saughall Robin
Regular First Team

Like this post? +503/-55

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »

The new Shaw Lane manager is Paul Quinn, who was previously the Brighouse Town manager before leaving in the summer (I think). They  have had a similar rapid rise through the leagues to Shaw Lane, although not quite as meteoric. He is the son of Gerry Quinn, who of course managed us 25 years ago; apologies if that makes anyone feel old.

Let's hope he's as good at his new job as his dad was for us!  Wink

PS: Don't need that to make me feel old - the 10 grandchildren (and an 11th due in February) do a good job of that!!!!  Cheesy Roll Eyes

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Mick
Regular First Team

Like this post? +109/-81

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:11 PM »

The new Shaw Lane manager is Paul Quinn, who was previously the Brighouse Town manager before leaving in the summer (I think). They  have had a similar rapid rise through the leagues to Shaw Lane, although not quite as meteoric.

He is the son of Gerry Quinn, who of course managed us 25 years ago; apologies if that makes anyone feel old.

Should they be underwhelmed with this appointment ? ......or is it just me

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Sale Holmfield
First Team Squad

Like this post? +78/-11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 11:43:42 PM »

It's a slightly odd one, but may be inspired. He is still in his early thirties, but, in his six seasons at Brighouse, they never went backwards, finishing 4th, 2nd and 1st in the Northern Counties East League Premier, and then 15th, 15th and 9th in the NPL Div 1 North.

On the other hand, he has never managed at this level, and, also, got sent off from the dugout on the one occasion I have been to Brighouse so there may be a doubt as to his temperament.

It is a bit as if we had taken a chance and appointed Phil Parkinson in 2016, not that I am aware of him applying then. Even though he had never managed in the National League North, I think we would probably have ended up with a better season
Mick
Regular First Team

Like this post? +109/-81

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 12:56:59 AM »

Thanks for the data .....some logic in the appointment then

We could have appointed Cecil Parkinson as manager last season and probably been no worse off come April 2017  Roll Eyes

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Jimmy
Regular First Team

Like this post? +142/-255

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »

10 in the conference and brought in the likes of Carmody,Harris and France

Brian Flynn
Regular First Team

Like this post? +262/-140

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

The new Shaw Lane manager is Paul Quinn, who was previously the Brighouse Town manager before leaving in the summer (I think). They  have had a similar rapid rise through the leagues to Shaw Lane, although not quite as meteoric. He is the son of Gerry Quinn, who of course managed us 25 years ago; apologies if that makes anyone feel old.

Let's hope he's as good at his new job as his dad was for us!  Wink

PS: Don't need that to make me feel old - the 10 grandchildren (and an 11th due in February) do a good job of that!!!!  Cheesy Roll Eyes

Gerry Quinn did an excellent job for us. He assembled a good team with one of the smallest budgets in the Conference. We had a great FA Cup run to the 2nd Round & finished 10th in the league, with a particularly strong finish.

Gerry was very unfortunate to lose his job at the end of October the following season. His last home game was a victory over Slough, who were top of the table at the time. Cue John Maunders returning to the board & the manager is out within a fortnight. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »
    Jump to: