PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shaw Lane lose manager to Boston
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shaw Lane lose manager to Boston  (Read 8826 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw Lane lose manager to Boston
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »

The new Shaw Lane manager is Paul Quinn, who was previously the Brighouse Town manager before leaving in the summer (I think). They  have had a similar rapid rise through the leagues to Shaw Lane, although not quite as meteoric. He is the son of Gerry Quinn, who of course managed us 25 years ago; apologies if that makes anyone feel old.

Let's hope he's as good at his new job as his dad was for us!  ;)

PS: Don't need that to make me feel old - the 10 grandchildren (and an 11th due in February) do a good job of that!!!!  :D ::)

Gerry Quinn did an excellent job for us. He assembled a good team with one of the smallest budgets in the Conference. We had a great FA Cup run to the 2nd Round & finished 10th in the league, with a particularly strong finish.

Gerry was very unfortunate to lose his job at the end of October the following season. His last home game was a victory over Slough, who were top of the table at the time. Cue John Maunders returning to the board & the manager is out within a fortnight. ::)

Well said, Mister Flynn.

Plus Gerry Quinn's recruitment of towering centre forwards was impeccable.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »

Might be wrong but I thought Accrington at home in the cup did for Quinn, after the Slough game? He might have then had an away match lost and that was it.

Certainly an underrated manager for us and some happy memories of his tenure.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »

Might be wrong but I thought Accrington at home in the cup did for Quinn, after the Slough game? He might have then had an away match lost and that was it.

Certainly an underrated manager for us and some happy memories of his tenure.

Yes, that 2-0 home defeat in the FA Cup plus the somewhat bizarre Tim Clarke/Wayne Baker/Lee Spencer goalkeeping saga proved to be a mortal blow to Gerry Quinn.

His final game in charge was a 1-0 defeat at Kettering Town on the following Saturday (30th October 1993).
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »

Wayne Baker! He was dreadful!!
Come on Alty!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »

Wayne Baker! He was dreadful!!

Hardly surprising, since he's an anagram of EBay wanker  ;D

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »

The new Shaw Lane manager is Paul Quinn, who was previously the Brighouse Town manager before leaving in the summer (I think). They  have had a similar rapid rise through the leagues to Shaw Lane, although not quite as meteoric. He is the son of Gerry Quinn, who of course managed us 25 years ago; apologies if that makes anyone feel old.
Let's hope he's as good at his new job as his dad was for us!  ;) PS: Don't need that to make me feel old - the 10 grandchildren (and an 11th due in February) do a good job of that!!!!  :D ::)
Gerry Quinn did an excellent job for us. He assembled a good team with one of the smallest budgets in the Conference. We had a great FA Cup run to the 2nd Round & finished 10th in the league, with a particularly strong finish. Gerry was very unfortunate to lose his job at the end of October the following season. His last home game was a victory over Slough, who were top of the table at the time. Cue John Maunders returning to the board & the manager is out within a fortnight. ::)

How very touchy and protective of you! My reference (although admittedly I didn't spell it out) was to the fact that his dad took us to 10th in the conference - a position I was hoping Paul Quinn would emulate for Shaw Lane this year! Leaving us with one fewer rival for promotion!

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jezza

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »

Gerry Quinn did a very good job for a year on a limited budget with players mostly from the league below.....then starved of resources I think he just lost his way at that level....nice bloke as well.....

he bought us mick carmody Richard harris and paul france didn't he?

weird how Charlie bradshaw just fell apart when spurs lost interest in him...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »

he bought us mick carmody Richard harris and paul france didn't he?

I don't recall whether any money changed hands (it certainly is a rarity in our case), but they were certainly excellent signings who went on to serve the club well.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shaw Lane lose manager to Boston