PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AGM this evening...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: AGM this evening...  (Read 22707 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: AGM this evening...
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »

Sod diversity - I (and many others) just want the club we love to be run responsibly, and for the benefit of all concerned.

Any arguments about the chairmanship on this thread are totally irrelevant. GR wasn't up for re-election, and won't be until 2019. We have to grin and bear it until then (the grin is optional) because he ain't going nowhere. And quite frankly I expect him to still be there in 2022, 2025, 2028 and so on.

Jezza

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »

I find it really sad that because Rowley refuses to step down people like Derek get dragged in for a bit of criticism.....

really does keep a toxic air around the club yet Rowley is quoted on the main site as saying "the atmosphere was now positive. Grahame thanked the attendees and spectators for their patience during last season's troubled times. "

Matt Taylor

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »

Can anyone tell me how we have allowed someone with 4% shares in the club to have so much power? To be the king maker? It's a scandal and a scandal we all allowed it to happen

We're back to that confusion between ownership and control.

Shareholders own the club.

The board of directors control and manage the club.

The shareholders elect the board of directors.
no confusion I never mentioned ownership, I said power which is control - I guess that was my point about 4% and power

You did - thats what 4% means - you own 4% of Altrincham Football Club.

My point is you could have no shares at all and still be a director with control.

Our shareholders and directors have allowed some with 4% to have far more power and control than they really should given how much he own.

Its irrelevant how many shares a director owns in this discussion.

The shareholders - whoever they may be, elect the board of directors to run the club in their best interests. Thats where shareholder involvement ends.

At the AGM 16 shareholders turned up and supported the current board by re-electing Derek and electing Bill.

The board of directors then run the club/business together as they see fit - I've not seen the internal constitution of the board rules but I assume within a board meeting the directors have an equal say and vote in any decisions, possibly a casting vote from the chairman if there is a tie.

You may disagree with the shareholders appointment of directors - but that is their choice as they own the club.

You may disagree with the directors running of the club - but again it is their remit to run the club as best they see fit and make many decisions each year to do so.

And here lies the issue.

There were over 250 shareholders eligible to attend this years AGM. Only 16 turned up.
Excluding Grahame Rowley himself, there are currently 26 shareholders (of the 250) who personally hold more than 1,000 shares in the club, collectively owning 73% of the currently allocated shares - without counting the shares currently held by the football club itself.

By my reckoning, of these 26 other shareholders, only Karen Rowley bothered to turn up. Monday night wasn’t an endorsement of the status quo by the owners of the football club, it was a another mass show of f**king apathy from them.

That’s not a criticism of those (nominal) shareholders who were present. Far from it. If they hadn’t have turned up then we wouldn’t have even had an AGM.
And once they do turn up they are perfectly entitled to express their opinion and vote in whichever way they see fit, regardless of whether I or anybody else agrees with them or not.

But the real issue isn’t the shareholders who turned up, or how many shares the current chairman holds. The issue is the amount of dormant shares floating about, and the shameful lack of interest from the current major shareholders.

This can, and will, be resolved by the sale of the recently created controlling interest in the football club. With genuine interest, and a bid already received, hopefully this can be sold as soon as possible to ensure the health and optimism of the football club off the field matches the current positivity on it.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »

It really does depend where the interest is coming from though.

For example, sale sharks are looking for a new home. If they have been making enquiries how do you fancy playing second fiddle to a rugby club. I don't think it will be them because they are looking to own their own ground .

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »

For example, sale sharks are looking for a new home. If they have been making enquiries how do you fancy playing second fiddle to a rugby club. I don't think it will be them because they are looking to own their own ground .

It won't be them because our ground capacity simply isn't adequate to meet their needs.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »

As a shareholder, it’s always such a pleasure to receive the invitation to the AGM. It’s a shame really that I never receive anything any more, and find out about the meeting date on this forum retrospectively. I’ve given up trying to get the shareholders’ register updated, and have also given up on Altrincham FC having any kind of successful future.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »

It won't be them because our ground capacity simply isn't adequate to meet their needs.

Agree about the ground capacity, plus having egg chasers on the pitch would f**k it up good and proper

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »

The speculation on the fans forum was that they would turn the ground through 90 degrees and extend on to the allotments behind the popside!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »

Doubt they could fit all their squad and back-up staff into the dressing room  ;)

Has anyone ever taken a look at their website; about 35 playing staff, backs coach, forwards coach, conditioning coach, boot-lace tying coach........you name it and they have it - all that on crowds of about 5000 in a rented ground..........there must be a heck of a lot of sponsor money involved in full time rugby or money coming in from the leagues

My firm uses the AJ Bell for events and it is a great stadium, albeit you cannot leave for over an hour after a game finishes
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »

The speculation on the fans forum was that they would turn the ground through 90 degrees and extend on to the allotments behind the popside!

And refer to Altrincham fc as Altrincham Town.

Atticus

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »

As a shareholder, it’s always such a pleasure to receive the invitation to the AGM. It’s a shame really that I never receive anything any more, and find out about the meeting date on this forum retrospectively. I’ve given up trying to get the shareholders’ register updated, and have also given up on Altrincham FC having any kind of successful future.

In that case will you sell your shares to me?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »

At the risk of distraction on an important thread, and presuming it wasn't a theoretical example, I can assure you 100% that Sale aren't looking to move from the AJ Bell. You can have Internet conjecture if you like but from the horses mouth they ain't looking to move.

bighairedmike

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:18 AM »

At the risk of distraction on an important thread, and presuming it wasn't a theoretical example, I can assure you 100% that Sale aren't looking to move from the AJ Bell. You can have Internet conjecture if you like but from the horses mouth they ain't looking to move.

Discussed this rumour with one of the financial guys (and close friend of Simon Orange) on a flight back from Dublin in October. I was also guaranteed that a move away was not being looked at.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »

In that case will you sell your shares to me?
[/quote]

Possibly, but I’ll be deciding on the fate of my shares when I see how fragmented the currently “available” 51% stake becomes.

bighairedmike

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 07:55:08 AM »

I find it really sad that because Rowley refuses to step down people like Derek get dragged in for a bit of criticism.....

really does keep a toxic air around the club yet Rowley is quoted on the main site as saying "the atmosphere was now positive. Grahame thanked the attendees and spectators for their patience during last season's troubled times. "

Grahame Rowley takes the majority of the stick for our situation and rightly so, however the rest of the board can not be held blameless.

It is because of the insular way in which this club has been ran, that our board has lacked any strength, relying solely on the same people.

The club is scared of anything new. New ideas, new skills and new people.

Somebody said it is "now about skills". It has always been about skills. The Chairman has no skills whatsoever when it comes to dealing with other people,or with running a football club well.

My question sill stands, what is the purpose of appointing Derek to the board for another three years? What skill set do all of the board members bring? I think it is blatantly obvious what Mr Waterson brings (and Hashtag Alty has an interesting stat about things that have gone from "ideas" to "production" over the past few months) but it is not so easily seen across the rest of the board. That is the concern, and it is GR that should be held responsible for that, as he has allowed it to happen by not being proactive.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AGM this evening...