PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alfreton- Match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Alfreton- Match thread  (Read 9688 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alfreton- Match thread
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »

Went to the game today, this was a fine performance by all our players. They mucked in and rolled their sleeves up. Alfreton were ok, but our defence really did limit them, and when they did manage to break through, Tony Thompson made some great saves. This was just as well because if Alfreton had got the spur of a goal we would have been under immense pressure. JJ's run at the end was outstanding, and he was unlucky not to score. To go on a run like that after 90 + 4 mins shows his fitness and the coaching which I think is making him such a great player for us.

Their fans were very quiet but when you go 2 down inside 15 minutes there is not a lot to cheer anyway. It was not that Alfreton were a particularly bad side, it was just that they could not find any way of breaking us down and ran out of ideas.  We really showed what we can do today and I think we will even give players from the National league a hell of a game.  I feel the league cup games and CSC are distractions now, and we should concentrate on the league and the FA Trophy, as I am more worried now about a fixture backlog.

Sorry to see James Poole have to go off, but we still coped OK without him. Can the club advise on his fitness, him and JJ are my favourite players. All in all I had a great day out yesterday, enjoyed it so much I have booked for next week also. I await the draw on Monday with anticipation, lower Vanarama National team at home would be great.  

Well done lads and management, great day out and really enjoyed myself. A director came up to us as we got off the coach  and said when we go in the ground we can use the bar inside there. However, everybody ignored him and went into the Alfreton Supporters club bar instead. Nice three pint session in there before the game and a great pint too!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:33:07 AM by Steve from Sale »

andrewflynn

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »

It's for the management to go into detail about James Poole's injury and I'm sure they'll shed more light on it, but he felt a little pull in his quad and was swiftly removed from the game as a precaution.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »

Thanks Andrew. Noticed our away form is now starting to match our home form too now!!

markecky2

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »

Yesterday was one of the best away performances for many years.  You can obviously discount the nonsense of the last two years but even before that it was just better.

Every player worked his tripe off, we played great football going forward and then threw bodies on the line when they naturally bombarded us in the second half.  If they got past the outfielders then there was no way past Tony Thompson, one of his saves was top drawer.

It was comprehensive as their keeper made 2-3 excellent saves as well.

Great to win with no luck involved, no controversy (penalty was probably a little harsh but they get given when that happens)

Watching Alty is something to look forward once again at the moment, which as it's a voluntary social pastime it probably should be.

Keep it up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alfreton- Match thread