Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Should Saturday's match V Shaw Lane be segregated?

Poll

Should the match be segregated?

Yes throughout
Yes but lift if no problem apparent
No not at all
Not initially but try and segregate if problems appear

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should Saturday's match V Shaw Lane be segregated?  (Read 7532 times)

Jezza

« on: December 05, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »

Will the club listen?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Should Saturday's match V Shaw Lane be segregated?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »

I doubt it will be segregated. I have been to quite a few away games where we have outnumbered or equaled the home support and none were segregated.

So I assume we won't either.

How many will they bring? Not many I guess.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »

Even knowing that won't have large numbers we should still segregate it for a much better atmosphere to our advantage.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:30:26 PM by oneedham »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »

I think voters should be encouraged to share their reasons.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »

The open terrace should be a sterile area. Its the dispersion of home fans onto that terrace that winds me up. Segregation of fans, when they're likely to bring about 40 at best, isn't that much of a concern for me.

Should be done, won't be done.

roytonmike

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »

I'm quite happy to share mine - once I've come through the turnstile I expect to be allowed to go where I please, sit or stand (this season) as I please, with whom I please, given that I keep the peace. Therefore I'm not in favour of limiting anyone's access to any area of the spectator accommodation. The only valid reason for a 'sterile area' would be safety considerations, and with a ground capacity of 6,000 or so that doesn't come into the equation. As I've made a conscious decision not to use the bar myself this season any opinion I might have on access to that area is irrelevant.
Shaw Lane's average gate (according to the statistics in the Mickleover programme from last Saturday) is 210. 10% of that would be a reasonable base figure for away support - hence their offering the spare seats on the team bus to supporters, I guess. Double it to allow for the special character of this match - even so you arrive at a likely figure of under 50.
As has been said elsewhere on this thread, we have had a number of away games (most recently Sutton Coldfield & Mickleover) where the travelling support has appeared to outnumber the home following. There has been no segregation at these matches. It simply isn't the norm at Level 7, which like it or not is where we are.
A further very minor point - it has been mentioned on another thread that this season the away turnstiles basically haven't been used. They would require manning - presumably not volunteer labour?
Hope that helps.

AFC SLO

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »

This has been brought up in discussion with different fans already and the consensus is that we should use everything we can to our advantage given that this is arguably our biggest game of the season so far.

I have already recommended this to Bill Waterson who promised me he would pass it on. I will be emailing the rest of the board directly and also our Volunteer coordinator so that they are also aware hat we may be segregating.

As soon as I have a definite answer I will be in touch with Shaw Lane to inform them, as well as reporting back on here.

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

The only valid reason for a 'sterile area' would be safety considerations, and with a ground capacity of 6,000 or so that doesn't come into the equation.

At the moment we're averaging 724 per game in a 6,085 capacity ground. The crowd is incredibly dispersed. For those of us who try our best to vocally back the team, it can be incredibly frustrating. You have 100 or so fans on that open end who would have otherwise been stood with us making some noise.

There's no need for that end to be open, but for people to walk around and use the toilets or snack bar.

Parkinson wanted the place to be a cauldron. There are lots of little things we can do to make it happen, but we won't.

Alty5678

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »

"You have 100 or so fans on that open end who would have otherwise been stood with us making some noise."

I don't quite understand this bit. Surely these 100 or so fans have chosen to stand at that end. If they wanted to stand and make some noise with you, that would have been their location of choice?

Alty5678

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »

This has been brought up in discussion with different fans already and the consensus is that we should use everything we can to our advantage given that this is arguably our biggest game of the season so far.

I have already recommended this to Bill Waterson who promised me he would pass it on. I will be emailing the rest of the board directly and also our Volunteer coordinator so that they are also aware hat we may be segregating.

As soon as I have a definite answer I will be in touch with Shaw Lane to inform them, as well as reporting back on here.

I'd suggest making some suggestions to the club on how we can promote this game more would be a better thing to be doing, rather than focussing on segregating 30/40 fans.

If we can swell the crowd by an additional two hundred or so by self-promotion, these away fans will be even more insignificant in numbers.

Posters in every pub in Alty, Hale, Sale etc? Same in large office blocks in the area? Pushing Altrincham Today, HQ etc. to really promote the game.

This is a game we could, with a big push, get 1,200 for with hopefully some returning regularly to watch our push for the title. Let's focus on getting new/additional fans to Moss Lane. This may be happening but it's not something I've seen with five days to go.

roytonmike

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »

"You have 100 or so fans on that open end who would have otherwise been stood with us making some noise."
I don't quite understand this bit. Surely these 100 or so fans have chosen to stand at that end. If they wanted to stand and make some noise with you, that would have been their location of choice?
Couldn't agree more!

AFC SLO

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »

I'd suggest making some suggestions to the club on how we can promote this game more would be a better thing to be doing, rather than focussing on segregating 30/40 fans.

If we can swell the crowd by an additional two hundred or so by self-promotion, these away fans will be even more insignificant in numbers.

Posters in every pub in Alty, Hale, Sale etc? Same in large office blocks in the area? Pushing Altrincham Today, HQ etc. to really promote the game.

This is a game we could, with a big push, get 1,200 for with hopefully some returning regularly to watch our push for the title. Let's focus on getting new/additional fans to Moss Lane. This may be happening but it's not something I've seen with five days to go.

Already working on it. Like many things at the club, our PR needs a complete overhaul. Thanks to our social media team, a lot of good promotion is already in place there and this will only improve.

Thanks for the feedback.

andrewflynn

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »

Perhaps I could have explained it clearer.

Fans move down to that end to watch us attack. If allowed to do so, then home fans will spread out onto the open terrace. These are fans who, otherwise, would have stood with the rest of us and got involved, I know that because I know 99% of them and many sing at away games.

There's a bit of a chatty culture at home games nowadays to be honest, its really poor but for about 25/30 of us.

If you close that section, they'll still want to be as close to our attacking play as possible, so they'll stand where people sing and the atmosphere will be better for all.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:57:17 PM by Andrew Flynn »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »

On one of my rare visits to Moss Lane earlier in the season there were about 40 people sitting in the bar watching the live feed on Alty TV. What's that all about?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »

There's a bit of a chatty culture at home games nowadays to be honest, its really poor but for about 25/30 of us.

The answer to this, and having 794 fans rattling around a 6,000 capacity stadium, is to not be so shambolically run that we stoop down to such a ridiculous level. And more so, never accepting it, enjoyable as winning quite often is.

PP was overjoyed with the crowd on non league day and a modicum of chanting so he'll be quite happy anyway.

I'd be embarrassed if we segregated a match where there won't be any more than 30 away fans tops.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team