PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Witton Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Witton Match Thread  (Read 20157 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Witton Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 05:26:28 PM »

Bummer. Terrible conditions and they wanted it more throughout the game.
Prince Haywood everywhere again. I liked him in the first game and would have been a good signing for us. Energy of Richman but more pace.
I agree with some changes but maybe not to the back 4 unless necessary. Wasn't really that impressed with White but too early to judge,especially on that pitch.
Hulme was MOTM.
Still would like to see the full backs higher up the pitch. In the first half Hampson could have overlapped on a few occasions. Dens is our best  full back at getting forward.
Just my opinion but we need to be looking for a new keeper. They scored two excellent goals but Thompson makes me nervous on crosses and I think Harrison showed a lack of confidence with him by not heading the ball back to him which then led to their winning goal.

dunhamalty

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »

Tom Hannigan has to play every game. Jones was awful today making a lot of mistakes and made Harrison nervous. I spoke to Hannigan at half time and he was fully fit so bemuses me why he didn't start. I trust PP but it does seem an odd one.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »

Bummer. Terrible conditions and they wanted it more throughout the game.
Prince Haywood everywhere again. I liked him in the first game and would have been a good signing for us. Energy of Richman but more pace.
I agree with some changes but maybe not to the back 4 unless necessary. Wasn't really that impressed with White but too early to judge,especially on that pitch.
Hulme was MOTM.
Still would like to see the full backs higher up the pitch. In the first half Hampson could have overlapped on a few occasions. Dens is our best  full back at getting forward.
Just my opinion but we need to be looking for a new keeper. They scored two excellent goals but Thompson makes me nervous on crosses and I think Harrison showed a lack of confidence with him by not heading the ball back to him which then led to their winning goal.

Probably a bit harsh on Thompson I'd say. Can't remember him doing anything particularly wrong plus he pulled off 1 or 2 very good saves..at this level I think you'd struggle to find a keeper that is strong in every department. I don't  think he's a weak link in the team anyway and certainly doesn't warrant changing at this point in the season.

AltySupporter

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »

Abysmal conditions but all credit to both teams for an entertaining game. Disappointing to lose but we can't win them all. Witton were more dangerous than us on the break and I thought we looked a bit off the pace in the first half certainly. Not too disheartened, games in those conditions will always throw up odd results. Glad that game was today and not last Saturday - it would have taken a lot out of the lads so at least they've got till the weekend to recharge.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »

No complaints about the result as the harder working team, and the one who's playing style was more suited to the conditions, won the game. But the conditions; .... if the pitch had been like that before the start would the game have gone ahead? The ball couldn't move in the corner I was standing. Surely the rule is if the ball won't roll the pitch is unplayable?

On another point, the gap between Altrincham and Shaw Lane is the same as it was this morning, as they lost at Farsley.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »

Is the pitch going to cost us more points? It won’t be getting better any time soon!

old alty fan

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »

Just got my breath back after that.

As for the conditions yes very unpleasant but no excuses,Witton were on the same pitch and simply adapted better than us.

We did all the hard work in the first  twenty minutes of the second half by getting our noses in front,and then for some reason it all fell apart,for me at that stage it was time to

shut up shop,or park the bus.

Feel for Harrison today he has been a rock at the back,but today he had a real Stinker.

So the unbeaten run comes to an end,but Saturday is the next opportunity to see how the boys react,and not a given as Shaw lane found out today.

andrewflynn

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »

Prior to today we had conceded 4 in 16 league games, so I’d say we definitely need a new keeper as well...

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »

Too many defensive errors today - Witton had few chances and scored most of them. Should we have tinkered with the back four - who knows - but we conceded four goals ?

At 3-2 it always looked like Witton had another goal in them and we should have made the changes right then to shut up shop. They looked stronger

Others lost so time to bounce back - not the first time we have lost at home to Witton
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »

Could have been worse. Shaw Lane were 2-0 up in thirteen minutes at Farsley, and lost 4-2.

By the time you get to NYD you've had four games in ten days. Add the conditons to the equation and today was always potentially a banana skin game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:26:09 PM by Hale Alty »

andrewflynn

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »

What a missed opportunity to move further clear that was, but we certainly got away with that today when you look at results elsewhere. They adapted to the conditions better than we did and deserved the win in my opinion. We can have no complaints.

Pains me to say that Johnston was a bit of a passenger this afternoon, he's had a very quiet run of games and I'd personally consider giving him a break at this stage. Looked tired and, at times, out of ideas. Completely agree that Hannigan would have had a positive impact on the game today and we missed a trick not bringing him on.

If there was every a day to lose our unbeaten run it would be today, on the same day as Workington. Evaluate, learn and go again next Saturday in what promises to be another tough game at Farsley.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

When teams defend wide, like Warrington and Witton did, Johnson has a quiet game. Look at the amount of space Matlock gave him. He was standing out on the wing all by himself waiting for the ball.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »

Like oneedham, I really rate Witton's number 2 Prince Heywood - what a fabulous little player he is. Also, their number 7, Owen Dale. I know absolutely nothing about him, other than he ran us all over the place.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

The ref should have called it either at at ht or 2-2..

You can't have a go at anyone. Fair play to witton they wanted it badly. Judging by the celebrations by their players and fans at full time looks like they think they're safe.

As for the pitch, it's fooked. Even with the 3 away games it won't get much better. I'd seriously look at hiring Hyde or Stockport Sports
Full time and proud of it

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »

There were a number of obvious problems today.

We changed a winning team....it may work in the Premier League, but not at this level.

The pitch was awful...same for both teams, but we made no allowances, especially passing backwards and forwards across our penalty area.

We over elaborated at the other end far too often.

We failed to make substitutions early. Hannigan for Jones most obviously.

On the upside, the pitch now has nearly 4 weeks to recover.

I only felt Thompson could have done better with the third. Generally I'm happy with him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Witton Match Thread