PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 4G Pitch
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 4G Pitch  (Read 9775 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 4G Pitch
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »

Couldn’t think of anything worse. It would be a disastrous move

Why? Need 5 valid points
Full time and proud of it

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »

Personally I prefer to see us play on grass and the quirks it throws up.

Artificial surface may make sense on a business point of view, but I don't think an the moment they mimic grass well enough.

I would like to see the drainage improved at ML.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »

Ok, five points are

1. Football on a artificial surface (however realistic these new 4G pitches are meant to be) is simply not the same.
2. These pitches are being ripped up in Holland due health concerns over the rubber crumb
3. Players are reluctant to join clubs that have a 4G pitch, as stated by Peter Band on the radio not so long ago. He said that he along with many others wouldn’t have chosen a club with an artificial surface due to the potential long term impact on joints.
4. Potential reduction in the fan base. I imagine that there are others like me that wouldn’t want to watch football every other week on an Astro turf, due to it changing the nature of the game.
5. Currently the football league doesn’t allow teams with plastic pitches to enter.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »

Fair points. However, I watch my under 17 lad play on Hyde every other week. It's a much better watch than the likes of Atherton, Barrow etc al away.

I wouldn't worry about our admittance to the FL for while
Full time and proud of it

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:17 AM »

Ok, five points are

1. Football on a artificial surface (however realistic these new 4G pitches are meant to be) is simply not the same.
2. These pitches are being ripped up in Holland due health concerns over the rubber crumb
3. Players are reluctant to join clubs that have a 4G pitch, as stated by Peter Band on the radio not so long ago. He said that he along with many others wouldn’t have chosen a club with an artificial surface due to the potential long term impact on joints.
4. Potential reduction in the fan base. I imagine that there are others like me that wouldn’t want to watch football every other week on an Astro turf, due to it changing the nature of the game.
5. Currently the football league doesn’t allow teams with plastic pitches to enter.

I think points 1 - 4 are most relevant, although it would be great if point no 5 became something for us too worry about. Of course the counter to the above negatives is the extra revenue the club could earn from such a pitch, but the business side of the club seems quite robust (thriving, I believe!)....its the football side where we have had the recent issues, although I concede extra revenue allows more investment in players, so its foolish to separate the 2 sides entirely.

I don't know how much a 4G pitch would cost, but its gonna be 6 figures for sure, so a hefty outlay. For that, wouldn't we be better investing in some better drainage and pitch covers? I am no expert, but I suspect its much cheaper, and addresses most of the concerns we have on the pitch without creating problems 1-5 outlined above.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »

Probably the biggest problem is that' its in a residential area. Light, noise and traffic 25 afternoons/evening is one thing, but use potentially 200 days of the tear is another. Ok for an out of town industrial estate type ground but I doubt we'd get it through planning.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »

Currently watcjing Bromley on bt sport , pitch seems ok

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »

I've played on both over the years and there is no doubt the artificial pitches are getting better and better

I liked playing on grass when I was younger then 4g later on

On the evidence of what we have at present im surprising myself by saying I cant see why we would not consider it
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 4G Pitch