News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 one for the stattos

Author Topic: one for the stattos  (Read 4655 times)

thegazelle

one for the stattos
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »

my distorted memory leads me to recall a game at home v goole in which i thought it was jackie swindells last game . can anyone shed any light on this fixture a 4-1 win with a swindells hatrick springs to mind but thats probably a load of rubbish
please put me out of my misery and clarify why i should think this drivel.

roytonmike

Re: one for the stattos
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »

Alty 4 Goole 2, Swindells scored all four. Will look up the details & add them to this in a few minutes.
Details as promised - Saturday April 4th 1970, Northern Premier League, attendance 1066. It wasn't his last game, but Jack had just announced his retirement with effect from the end of the season - according to a subsequent programme he had secured a position with a leading American company in Trafford Park which obliged him to give up football (popular myth says that company was Kellogg's & the job may have involved nights, but I can't vouch for any of that!). At all events, by the following October he was back & played on till the end of the 1970-71 season, scoring in his last match v Matlock. I think I'm right in saying he then played a bit for Radcliffe Borough & scored twice for them in a Cup-tie here. Hope that clarifies!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:41:25 PM by roytonmike »

thegazelle

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 11:31:06 PM »

thanks for that . it must have been ,my memory mixing matches up

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »

I remember him scoring the opening goal in that Radcliffe game, and being cheered by our support for it as if he were still a Robin. Tells you everything about the esteem in which he was rightly held.

I know we eventually won, but the rest of the memory has faded.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »

Alty 4 Goole 2, Swindells scored all four. Will look up the details & add them to this in a few minutes.
Details as promised - Saturday April 4th 1970, Northern Premier League, attendance 1066. It wasn't his last game, but Jack had just announced his retirement with effect from the end of the season - according to a subsequent programme he had secured a position with a leading American company in Trafford Park which obliged him to give up football (popular myth says that company was Kellogg's & the job may have involved nights, but I can't vouch for any of that!). At all events, by the following October he was back & played on till the end of the 1970-71 season, scoring in his last match v Matlock. I think I'm right in saying he then played a bit for Radcliffe Borough & scored twice for them in a Cup-tie here. Hope that clarifies!

Didn't he just score once for Radcliffe against us?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »

I remember him scoring the opening goal in that Radcliffe game, and being cheered by our support for it as if he were still a Robin. Tells you everything about the esteem in which he was rightly held.

I remember him scoring a header at the Golf Road End. Radcliffe were 2-0 up & we turned it round to win 3-2.

1972/3 season
FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »

I remember him scoring a header at the Golf Road End. Radcliffe were 2-0 up & we turned it round to win 3-2.

1972/3 season
FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round.
Thanks Brian.....my memory is at least partially restored !

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »

Sadly I never saw Jackie Swindells play for us as my first game was 74/75 season so I missed him by 3 years

roytonmike

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »

Didn't he just score once for Radcliffe against us?
Just been checking my records - didn't think I had anything in detail on this game, but I do.
October 7th 1972, FA Cup 2QR
Some names for those of us long in the tooth to conjure with (!) - Alty lineup was Frankish; Allan, Mobley, Wolfe, Owens, Taylor, Cooke, Heathcote, Windsor, Todd. Morrey. Sub (used) - Shreeve.
Scorer - Windsor 3. Radcliffe lined up as follows: Unsworth; Connor, Eyre, Birchall, Wright, Phillips, Johnston, Welsh, Swindells, Price, Clay. Sub - Taberner. Scorers - Swindells and an own goal by John Owens (so you were right, Flynny - as I'd just started at Uni in Norwich at the time I was going on distant memory in every sense of that phrase!). Attendance 1395. We beat Ashton United 3-1 away in 3QR & Ellesmere Port Town 2-1 away after a 1-1-home draw in 4QR, then lost 0-1 at home to Notts County in R1.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »

Wow, what memories. My first season as a 9 year old was 71_72. Most of those names remain very familiar however I have no recall of Jacky  Swindells playing on either side, suppose I arrived too late to know about the bloke. I'd  love to have seen him play.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ToffeeBlue

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »

I saw Jackie in an 8-1 win against Rhyl (?) in the Cheshire League in the sixties, which I think clinched the League title.  Referee Harold Crook (Salford) whom I later met a an assessor.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

I saw Jackie in an 8-1 win against Rhyl (?) in the Cheshire League in the sixties, which I think clinched the League title.  Referee Harold Crook (Salford) whom I later met a an assessor.

Chester Reserves away was the 8-1 Cheshire League clinching game in 1966. Jackie scored 7 and it was a privilege to be there to witness it...how old am I getting!!

Kingys Beard

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »

Along the same lines....

I think I saw King Jack play just once that I'm aware of.  I have a dim recollection of going with my dad to a testimonial game for Swindells circa April 1971 (?) and I seem to remember Liverpool's Ron Yeats was playing, and maybe some City/United players too, but it's all so vague I may have dreamed/imagined this.

Can anyone confirm that this actually took place?  Any details (was there a programme for instance?) gratefully received!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 one for the stattos