PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Home Advantage
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Home Advantage  (Read 17315 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Home Advantage
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »

Bridge's pitch is also fooked I'm reliably informed
They're playing on it today......

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

I’m not sure flixton would have a evostick premier grading to be honest. Witton or the Manchester regional arena would probably be best bet, MRA Holds 6,500. Stalybridge have got pitch problems as have stockport county. Other option would be NSS at belle vue which holds 5,000
Flixton is a better ground than half we have played in this season

A more than adequate venue for this level of football

Hasn’t valley road been stripped out since Northwich left? I’m not sure it’d have a safety certificate or a grading for evostick premier now. What are the minimum requirements

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »

I’ll have a look in when I pass, unicorn use it in the Cheshire league

old alty fan

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »

Shaw lane been held 1-1

Grantham losing 1-0

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »

Has everyone forgotten that Altrincham got promoted in 1999 on an absoutely dreadful pitch where the drainage issues were a lot worse than the ones experienced so far this season?

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »

Shaw lane been held 1-1

Grantham losing 1-0

Ended 1-1 both games. Grantham equalised in the 10th(!) minute of added time.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »

Has everyone forgotten that Altrincham got promoted in 1999 on an absoutely dreadful pitch where the drainage issues were a lot worse than the ones experienced so far this season?
In 1999 games were played on far worse pitches than are allowed now.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »

A practical quick fix would be a crowd finder for more tarpaulin. For at least enough to cover all the problem areas, it’d pay for itself

Covering the pitch doesn't prevent the ground water rising in an area of land that is naturally very wet. I would suggest that water that falls on other areas is collecting in the areas that are causing the problems. I'd be looking at digging a hole behind the goal and pumping the water away.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »

What about Heywood Road?

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »

Was going to say the same. And how many many teams do you see full stop, never mind at this level, switch Home games to another ground? It is extremely rare, as it is the nature at this level. Should Shaw Lane be playing at Oakwell given the amount of games they’ve had off?? We’re in a great position, and when we get the home games on the pitch will be in a position to suit us anyway
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »

What about Heywood Road?

Swinton play there which wont help

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »

Two other considerations, firstly as water finds its level covering parts of a pitch situated on a Moss with a very high water table will not prevent migration of water through the subsoil directly beneath. Also, the water thar runs off the covers goes where? Add on that a covered area cannot dry by wind action as the water is trapped I don't think we have a realistic solution. The geography of the site is what it is.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

roytonmike

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »

Two other considerations, firstly as water finds its level covering parts of a pitch situated on a Moss with a very high water table will not prevent migration of water through the subsoil directly beneath. Also, the water thar runs off the covers goes where? Add on that a covered area cannot dry by wind action as the water is trapped I don't think we have a realistic solution. The geography of the site is what it is.
I was wondering when someone would point out that Moss Lane is not named by accident, that 'Hale Moss' used to appear on old maps slap bang where the ground is, and that there's not a lot you can do about the basic position of the ground or the fundamental nature of a moss. I'm afraid we just have to grin and bear it. The weather forecast for Tuesday, last time I looked, wasn't exactly promising & the end of the week is supposed to be cold - sub-zero by night - which doesn't bode well for Buxton. We might have to wait a wee while for the next game ... though the Lord knows I hope not! (I speak as one who had to set out before the postponement decision was made & didn't find out until I was walking towards the ground at about 2.20, which was a mite frustrating!)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:56:35 PM by roytonmike »

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »

Exactly Mike and SW.  it is not called Moss Lane for nothing!!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 08:26:59 PM »

We would be giving up home advantage, playing in front of much smaller crowds with match sponsorships and advertising deals potentially jeopardized, not to mention food and bar takings decimated.  All this would probably cost the club tens of thousands of pounds in the process (which would surely hurt any funding to fix the pitch long term). When we talk about the cost as a downside, that particular downside would be huge.

We have no fixture backlog at this stage compared to other teams and we are not the only team to be seeing postponements; hopefully we will be seeing some better weather in the coming weeks too.

I can understand the idea of switching games as a total last resort but the cons outweigh the pros for me for now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Home Advantage