PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Home Advantage
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Home Advantage  (Read 17316 times)

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Home Advantage
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 09:06:49 PM »

Two other considerations, firstly as water finds its level covering parts of a pitch situated on a Moss with a very high water table will not prevent migration of water through the subsoil directly beneath. Also, the water thar runs off the covers goes where? Add on that a covered area cannot dry by wind action as the water is trapped I don't think we have a realistic solution. The geography of the site is what it is.
I was wondering when someone would point out that Moss Lane is not named by accident, that 'Hale Moss' used to appear on old maps slap bang where the ground is, and that there's not a lot you can do about the basic position of the ground or the fundamental nature of a moss. I'm afraid we just have to grin and bear it. The weather forecast for Tuesday, last time I looked, wasn't exactly promising & the end of the week is supposed to be cold - sub-zero by night - which doesn't bode well for Buxton. We might have to wait a wee while for the next game ... though the Lord knows I hope not! (I speak as one who had to set out before the postponement decision was made & didn't find out until I was walking towards the ground at about 2.20, which was a mite frustrating!)

This point is made every time the subject of a wet pitch and postponed games is mentioned.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »

Four pages into this thread, I'm very surprised that none of the usual suspects have blamed the board for getting that lengthy lease from Trafford Council......

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »

Four pages into this thread, I'm very surprised that none of the usual suspects have blamed the board for getting that lengthy lease from Trafford Council......

Glad you find belittling the alienated fans amusing.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »

Sorry - on reading my post again, it's badly worded and open to misinterpretation. Apologies to anybody I unintentionally offended (I'm still one of the disaffected myself after all !)

I'm trying to open discussion on whether our long lease, which most of us applauded at the time, is actually a good thing.

Besides the pitch issues, there is a lot about our ground that would need improvement if we were to progress. I would favour 4G if I were to accept that we would never reach the Football League - but I'll never abandon my 60 year old dream.

The CSH is a great asset, but other areas of the ground are old and tired (so am I).

Anyone got thoughts on this ?

andrewflynn

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »

What a life it would be
If we could play on new 4G
We’d still kick off at five past three...

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »

Sorry - on reading my post again, it's badly worded and open to misinterpretation. Apologies to anybody I unintentionally offended (I'm still one of the disaffected myself after all !)

I'm trying to open discussion on whether our long lease, which most of us applauded at the time, is actually a good thing.

Besides the pitch issues, there is a lot about our ground that would need improvement if we were to progress. I would favour 4G if I were to accept that we would never reach the Football League - but I'll never abandon my 60 year old dream.

The CSH is a great asset, but other areas of the ground are old and tired (so am I).

Let's say it cost £200k minus all the grants and funding, and it took us 4 years to get to the football league, I'd like to think we could earn 50k a earn in revenue to cover the installation.

We could then rip it up and install grass for our football league season.

I'd rather we have grass...
It's all my fault.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »

I’d have no issue with us installing a 4g pitch. There would have to be a guarantee that should we be in a position to be promoted to the football league it would be removed without question should it be at a point before the football league allow them, and that the reserves, ladies team, youth team etc are all kept in-house utilising it as much as possible.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08:44 AM »

Let's say it cost £200k minus all the grants and funding, and it took us 4 years to get to the football league, I'd like to think we could earn 50k a earn in revenue to cover the installation.

We could then rip it up and install grass for our football league season.

I'd rather we have grass...

I'm pretty sure no one would give a grant to see you rip it up in 4 years!

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »

I’d have no issue with us installing a 4g pitch. There would have to be a guarantee that should we be in a position to be promoted to the football league it would be removed without question should it be at a point before the football league allow them, and that the reserves, ladies team, youth team etc are all kept in-house utilising it as much as possible.

That wouldnt work for the juniors - 3G is hard to secure in this area, hence we wouldnt be likely to release any of our current venues/slots if we know the "new" 3G pitch will be ripped up should we reach the football league - we'd be stranded then with no 3G.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:15:38 AM by beaker141 »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »

We wouldn’t need to rip it up, it’ll be allowed in the football league within the next few years, just an understanding that should we some how end up in such a position it would be acted upon without question. We’ve not finished in the top five of the conference for 23 years. And from our current position the likelihood of us needing to remove it in an extreme bare minimum 2 years is beyond unlikely, the chance of it being sanctioned for use in division 3 and 4 in the next two years is very likely

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »

As you can play world cup matches on shiity/sandy 3g I too can see the FL allowing these 4g in before long.

People will have landed on Mars before we join the great 92, so it's not an issue for me.

When I see how frequently the 4g is used at Hyde it's a no brainer
Full time and proud of it

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »

My own thoughts are that if we ever did move, it would be to some industrial or brownfield area within the borough (forget the town) with poor public transport links and nothing residential surrounding it.

This ground's location is its greatest asset, right in the heart of the community, and a short walk from the town centre. Some parts of the ground are very poor but a lot of it is fixable and there are good bits of infrastructure too, notably the CSH and the pitch facing Sponsors Lounge (which some league clubs don't even have and is underappreciated by the club in my view). We are right to stay where we are.

The flip side is I don't think we'd get a 4G pitch for planning reasons, even then I'm not sure how much it would solve the drainage problem.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »

With weather seasons being just generally wetter we may have no choice to look at 4g but I would be gutted. It just isn't the same vibe as grass roots.
Personally I feel the club need to seek professional advice this summer and at the earliest opportunity get the pitch up.
In 30 plus years of watching them the pitch hasn't been a huge problem most seasons, so I wouldn't panic but would most defo look into a drainage system and maybe seek fans donation. I would put up to £30 in the pot.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

No worries,I read it as a dig so cheers for clearing it up. I can't see us ever reaching the Football League in my lifetime never mind yours so 4G is a no brainer for me!!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »

Even if the football league vote against 4g pitches at the agm  eventually ,a bit like automatic promotion rather than re election it will come in.Wonder what the cost difference is between having a new pitch and a 4g pitch with a grant ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Home Advantage