News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winsford United v WarringtonTown : Cheshire F.A. Statement

Author Topic: Winsford United v WarringtonTown : Cheshire F.A. Statement  (Read 4312 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

roytonmike

Re: Winsford United v WarringtonTown : Cheshire F.A. Statement
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »

There is now a statement on the Warrington website from their chairman which says, among other things, that the Winsford v Warrington game will now be at Warrington on Monday 26th Feb. Presumably the Cheshire FA will make some kind of further statement and we might actually have someone to play before the moon turns into green cheese. I suppose the week beginning March 5th is most likely at this point. It all helps to make the Cheshire Senior Cup a laughing stock, I fear, in case it wasn't one already ...

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »

There is now a statement on the Warrington website from their chairman which says, among other things, that the Winsford v Warrington game will now be at Warrington on Monday 26th Feb. Presumably the Cheshire FA will make some kind of further statement and we might actually have someone to play before the moon turns into green cheese. I suppose the week beginning March 5th is most likely at this point. It all helps to make the Cheshire Senior Cup a laughing stock, I fear, in case it wasn't one already ...

If we suffer any more postponements, we'll be dangerously close to having at least one week where we play three times. There are 22 Tuesday/Saturday  dates left until the end of the season, and we have 17 league games, and this CSC  tie to play.

Of those 18 games, 14 are "firmly" scheduled. We still have to arrange this one, plus Mickleover at home, and visits to Buxton and Stourbridge. March 10th is the only blank Saturday but only Buxton have a fixture that day.

Unfortunately the same logic states that we can't really afford to win the CSC game, as the additional fixtures it could entail will come back to bite us.

andrewflynn

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:09 AM »

While I was firmly in favour of giving this competition a bit of TLC, I think given the circumstances we could be in 'send the kids' territory now.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »

While I was firmly in favour of giving this competition a bit of TLC, I think given the circumstances we could be in 'send the kids' territory now.

I'd go one step further and say it's not 'send the kids and hope they get through some rounds for the experience', it's now 'send the kids and hope they lose'.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »

If we suffer any more postponements, we'll be dangerously close to having at least one week where we play three times. There are 22 Tuesday/Saturday  dates left until the end of the season, and we have 17 league games, and this CSC  tie to play.

Of those 18 games, 14 are "firmly" scheduled. We still have to arrange this one, plus Mickleover at home, and visits to Buxton and Stourbridge. March 10th is the only blank Saturday but only Buxton have a fixture that day.

Unfortunately the same logic states that we can't really afford to win the CSC game, as the additional fixtures it could entail will come back to bite us.

According to the Evo-Stik League website there are 9 Evo-Stik Premier games on March 10th, with the following not yet scheduled to play:-

Altrincham
Mickleover Sports
Coalville Town
Stafford Rangers
Rushall Olympic
Whitby Town

We have already played Coalville Town, Stafford Rangers & Whitby Town twice, therefore the likeliest opponents on that date would appear to be Mickleover Sports at home, unless the Rushall Olympic away game was brought forward from Easter Saturday, which I guess is unlikely but possible.

roytonmike

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »

If we suffer any more postponements, we'll be dangerously close to having at least one week where we play three times. There are 22 Tuesday/Saturday  dates left until the end of the season, and we have 17 league games, and this CSC  tie to play.
According to the Evo-Stik League website there are 9 Evo-Stik Premier games on March 10th, with the following not yet scheduled to play:-
Altrincham, Mickleover Sports, Coalville Town, Stafford Rangers, Rushall Olympic, Whitby Town
We have already played Coalville Town, Stafford Rangers & Whitby Town twice, therefore the likeliest opponents on that date would appear to be Mickleover Sports at home, unless the Rushall Olympic away game was brought forward from Easter Saturday, which I guess is unlikely but possible.
As I understand it, March 10th was designated as the day for League Cup semi-finals. Mickleover are still in that competition - they are due to play Witton a week tomorrow (20th) - so maybe any rejigging of fixtures involving our game with them would have to await the outcome of that match?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:09:11 PM by roytonmike »

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in CSC games. Just put out a reserve team and you can afford to play on a wednesday even if the first team played on the tuesday.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »

Our first team has failed to beat Warrington - should they make it past Winsford. So I'd say just put the youth team in, squad players, and anybody who needs fitness.

It's all my fault.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »

If we suffer any more postponements, we'll be dangerously close to having at least one week where we play three times. There are 22 Tuesday/Saturday  dates left until the end of the season, and we have 17 league games, and this CSC  tie to play.
Altrincham, Mickleover Sports, Coalville Town, Stafford Rangers, Rushall Olympic, Whitby Town
As I understand it, March 10th was designated as the day for League Cup semi-finals. Mickleover are still in that competition - they are due to play Witton a week tomorrow (20th) - so maybe any rejigging of fixtures involving our game with them would have to await the outcome of that match?

My understanding was that March 10th was originally designated as a day for Integro League Cup Quarter Finals, however I suspect that the Evo-Stik League have now abandoned that idea or will do shortly.

There are still 3 Second Round ties to be played, currently scheduled for next week.

Third Round ties are currently scheduled between February 20th & March 6th. This is the last 16 stage, so even if all Third Round ties were completed by then, which is very unlikely, it would be ludicrous to play the Quarter Finals on the following Saturday, as it would undoubtedly leave some clubs without a game & other clubs involved in a game in a competition that they would prefer not to be playing in on a Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:31:18 PM by Brian Flynn »

roytonmike

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »

My understanding was that March 10th was originally designated as a day for Integro League Cup Quarter Finals, however I suspect that the Evo-Stik League have now abandoned that idea or will do shortly.
There are still 3 Second Round ties to be played, currently scheduled for next week.
Third Round ties are currently scheduled between February 20th & March 6th. This is the last 16 stage, so even if all Third Round ties were completed by then, which is very unlikely, it would be ludicrous to play the Quarter Finals on the following Saturday, as it would undoubtedly leave some clubs without a game & other clubs involved in a game in a competition that they would prefer not to be playing in on a Saturday.
The cynic in me says that the League has made ludicrous decisions before now, so sanity is not a given ...
Seriously, thanks for the clarification, Brian.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »

The cynic in me says that the League has made ludicrous decisions before now, so sanity is not a given ...
Seriously, thanks for the clarification, Brian.

Thanks Mike.....the decision to leave this Saturday free in the original fixture list must go down as one of the oddest of the season.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »

It’s probably trying to give the competition a bit more kudos with the hope of higher attendances on a Saturday. This competition really should have been put out to pasture long ago. There’s enough to organise with bad weather, and let’s not forget some sides are also in more than one regional competition. The Cheshire Cup is a traditional cup and holds a certain sway with the potential for a midweek afternoon drink in knutsford or Nantwich should you make the final. Last years league cup final was held at an evostick one ground 15 miles from the nearest railway station, pointless.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winsford United v WarringtonTown : Cheshire F.A. Statement