- 6 (12.5%)
Yes but I understand why we do it
- 12 (25%)
No
- 30 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: February 16, 2018, 06:16:46 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Does the £5 offer bother you?  (Read 27284 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Does the £5 offer bother you?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »

There must have been several hundred at the last offer
Full time and proud of it

Jezza

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 09:53:43 PM »

Id like to see a match where everyone is a fiver.....so the loyal fans benefit and you don't restrict non utd and city floating voters....and see how that compares to non promotion days and the utd city season ticket holder days...

Doesn't bother me....lets get the floaters in!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 10:06:14 PM »

There are some very good points made. As Matt said, it would be interesting to know how many people take up the offer, but it also would be interesting to know, from research, although it would be difficult to prove, how many of those people would have come anyway, with the result that the club are depriving themselves of revenue. I can also appreciate why the club might want to keep this confidential.

I voted for the middle category that I understand the offer, while it does bother me. I do find it odd that, on a day to encourage diversity at football, certain categories of wealthy people who already attend football matches are given special favouritism.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:08:28 PM by Sale Holmfield »

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 10:38:44 PM »

I think it should be run just twice a season, let them experience Alty and then it’s up to them to return at full price.

Then focus on other groups with various offers including regular fans.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:51 PM »

With the recent home postponements any additional income to address the negative impact on cash flow has got to be welcomed. If it encourages some to come to future games who wouldn’t have otherwise more the better.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 12:12:16 AM »

To be honest, I would rather be stood amongst 1400 fans, rather than 600-800, nothing more to be said.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 02:50:49 AM »

There are some very good points made. As Matt said, it would be interesting to know how many people take up the offer, but it also would be interesting to know, from research, although it would be difficult to prove, how many of those people would have come anyway, with the result that the club are depriving themselves of revenue. I can also appreciate why the club might want to keep this confidential.

I voted for the middle category that I understand the offer, while it does bother me. I do find it odd that, on a day to encourage diversity at football, certain categories of wealthy people who already attend football matches are given special favouritism.

In fairness, they aren't given favouritism because of their wealth, they are getting a special offer because of having a season ticket elsewhere. I will stick my neck out and say the average United and City regular is by no means wealthy. They just choose to spend a lot more to watch their football. 

I am all for offers like this, though I think more schemes to incentivise regulars should be looked at too.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »

For me, this was a good occasional promotion. It fits with a branding of a cheeky upstart nipping at the heels of its thoroughbred neighbours. The chirpy Giantkiller Robins theme.
However, the branding now appears to be developing into a Club focussed on inclusivity, diversity and community. Whether that’s by design or because of the absence of anything else, I don’t know. The trouble with this is that, if you put out a poster, as the Club has, promoting inclusivity at our next match, and then only include information on entry prices for some other clubs’ season ticket holders, what is everyone else to make of it? But if you did include the entry prices for everyone else, you’d be saying to them that they have to pay double. Will the perception of this pricing be inclusive or discriminatory? Discuss.
All I’m saying is that pricing and promotion has to be coherent and consistent with the brand image you are aiming to project.

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »

The Warrington Game saw 125 MU/MC supporters use their ST or membership to get in, add to them any family or friends that came along with them and I’d say you’re looking at over 200 on a very rainy Saturday afternoon. Add to that the take on the bar, snacks and programmes. Seems reasonable.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:06 AM »

In fairness, they aren't given favouritism because of their wealth, they are getting a special offer because of having a season ticket elsewhere. I will stick my neck out and say the average United and City regular is by no means wealthy. They just choose to spend a lot more to watch their football. 

I am all for offers like this, though I think more schemes to incentivise regulars should be looked at too.

Perhaps I should have rephrased that as "categories of people who already spend a lot of money on football" but I do think it should be restricted to a limited number of games, and not when the club is running another promotion.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »

For me, this was a good occasional promotion. It fits with a branding of a cheeky upstart nipping at the heels of its thoroughbred neighbours. The chirpy Giantkiller Robins theme.
However, the branding now appears to be developing into a Club focussed on inclusivity, diversity and community. Whether that’s by design or because of the absence of anything else, I don’t know. The trouble with this is that, if you put out a poster, as the Club has, promoting inclusivity at our next match, and then only include information on entry prices for some other clubs’ season ticket holders, what is everyone else to make of it? But if you did include the entry prices for everyone else, you’d be saying to them that they have to pay double. Will the perception of this pricing be inclusive or discriminatory? Discuss.
All I’m saying is that pricing and promotion has to be coherent and consistent with the brand image you are aiming to project.

I will discuss in an incredibly brief fashion. Comparing regular supporters with floating supporters is not akin to diversity and inclusivity along disability, sexuality and ethnicity lines. It's like comparing oranges with bandicoots.

For what it's worth, which in fairness is probably very little, I think such promotions (the fiver for the Old Traffetiheads, just to clarify) are a good idea if it's only 2 or 3 times a season. I think they do generate additional interest and expenditure that the club would otherwise miss out on. There is also the possibility of some of those floating voters coming back on a semi-regular basis. Any more than two or three times a season and it no longer really classifies as a promotion and is certain to alienate regular supporters
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Cider Alty

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »

We should make them give their email address at least so that we can build up a data base of floaters.
That way we can start to email them with news and updates.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »

We should make them give their email address at least so that we can build up a data base of floaters.

That's a good idea in principle, but I reckon most people would shy away from giving out a valid email address; I certainly know I would. Even for online sites where you have to supply a valid email address that can be verified, I supply a junk one that I use specifically for that purpose and nothing else. With the best will in the world, once you enter your email address into any site or provide it to any company, you are potentially opening yourself up to a world of spam (and you may forget Data Protection Laws because they're not worth the paper they are written on).

Right, that's quite enough exposure from me (oo err missus) for one day, I'm diving back down into the deep web.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

andrewflynn

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »

Our data capture is woeful but it needs to be as automated as possible. Asking turnstile volunteers to jot down hundreds of email address isn't feasible, nor is asking these fans to write it down on a piece of paper. Its a horrendous first impression of the club.

Luckily its been bookmarked as an area for improvement, hopefully we can work towards installing some methods of data sourcing in the close future. There are plenty of things we can implement, the easiest being the CSH wifi access. To my knowledge I don't think we're asking for any contact info from people at the moment.

Re that £5 offer, I'm very glad I brought it up as it has been insightful to read everyone's opinions on it (using the forum for its purpose, wow.) I think it accurately sums up a generally held opinion: it is an accepted and appreciated promotion, provided we don't take the piss then it appears that the vast majority are happy for the club to run with it. My personal view is that the club needs to continue to work on the lack of connection between the itself and its core support if it wishes to crack on with offers like this. Keep giving back. For every incentive or offer provided to an alternate group there needs to be a payoff for the regulars. Eager to see what we come up with.

Cider Alty

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »

Too late now but we could have supplied a printable voucher which they could complete at home and bring to the game. They are saving 50% of the entrance fee. Not much to ask. After all we can't walk up to their turnstiles and pay on the day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Does the £5 offer bother you?